INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is this gain coming from?  (Read 758 times)

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
Where is this gain coming from?
« on: May 30, 2003, 07:43:58 am »

I've got a strange issue that I hope somebody can help me troubleshoot. When I play back music with very high volume (e.g. peak level approximately 100%) in MC9, I get bad clipping. If I turn on Replay Gain and set it to a fixed -0.5 dB, the clipping goes away.

Background: all songs have zero replay gain and the replay gain plugin is disabled when the clipping occurs. I'm playing back WMA files--haven't confirmed whether it happens with MP3. I have tested to see if the same thing happens with Windows Media Player, and it doesn't. Exact same file, no clipping. Finally, the clipping goes away if I use DirectSound instead of Wave Out. How's that for weird.

I've tried pulling down the volume slider in my Volume Control app, but that just changes the output gain--in other words, the lower volume is applied after the clipping.

Can anybody help me troubleshoot this? The "fixed replay gain minus 0.5 dB" might be a workaround except that replay gain doesn't seem to apply to certain video files, so I get this same problem with very high-level video files.

Thanks for any tips.
Pages: [1]   Go Up