INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seagate 2T drive is not accessable for my library.  (Read 1363 times)

ray72

• Recent member
Seagate 2T drive is not accessable for my library.
« on: November 18, 2018, 09:46:15 pm »

I have a Id Pi with an ASUS HDMI display, a usb keyboard and a usb mouse. I can't find a way to read 280GB of FLAC files as my library. This system works when the LibraElec (SP?) boot is used instead. Kodi is a very weak music player and I would like to try JRiver. I tried with the drive merely run off the 2.5A Pi supply and also with a Kindle USB power supply thru a 'separate power cable'. No obvious difference.
The only related effect I can find is a file name list somewhat like my FLAC library folder names. This shows an eject button that results in a message the eject is not allowed.
I have a topic going to ask about my MainMenu being too wide to read.
And a reply that I couldn't find new topic (It is hidden away whe search is run/displayed).
ray72

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Seagate 2T drive is not accessable for my library.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 06:10:41 am »

The Pi doesn't have enough power for the drive.  You might get lucky but it won't be reliable.  You could read about this problem on the RPi site or try a Google search.

JRiver also must import the files before anything will work.

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 11:49:03 am »

This import is disapointing. Will I need a 400GB SD to hold my library? How will I copy the Id Pi to it? Would a SSD solve this by less power?

Main problem is my other topic. The mainmenu is too wide to see on the screen. Very hard to figure out what to type.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 01:40:12 pm »

You should use the diskmenu option from the main menu to enable disk mounting.
Then when you reboot the IdPi you can see the drive mountpoint again in the diskmenu by choosing option option 4) Display Status

Go into MC's Tools->Import and add that location to the Auto Imports, your files will magically appear in MC.

As Jim said, you will want to make sure the drive gets enough power. The best way to do that is by powering the drive with an external power supply.

You may be able to get away with going into option 17 on the main menu and choose the high power option for USB. You need a very solid IdPi power supply for that as well as an external drive that doesn't use a lot of power.

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 02:20:25 pm »

I don't find diskmenu on the mainmenu, neither my cut down screen nor the print out.
Nor in the jriver media center under any menu. Where is it?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 02:29:41 pm »

I don't find diskmenu on the mainmenu, neither my cut down screen nor the print out.
Nor in the jriver media center under any menu. Where is it?
When did you get this IdPi?

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 05:11:13 pm »

bob,
Friday I got it and registered it. Then I disconnected from the ethernet. I don't want to be connected at all. I'm willing to use the networking to get this going. Then I will erase my library and start it over from my backups, never networked again. I run a Windows XP computer for privacy (never touched any network) and a Windows 7 PC with work Firewall etc and a MAC Mini for email and shopping.
Its not old. I had the raspberryPi 3 B (not +) for about a week. It came with two choices for OS, the bulky one crashed on install which was fine because I don't want ethernet anyway. So I installed LibreElec (SP?) and Kodi. Kodi has run a library on my 32GB flach USB but it's a wimpy music program that resembles ls with a play option.
I can try to run the new 2TB disk in LibreElec to see if the power is OK there.

I'm trying to get the display readable so I can find things people suggest.
ray72

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 05:21:23 pm »

Its not old. I had the raspberryPi 3 B (not +) for about a week. It came with two choices for OS, the bulky one crashed on install which was fine because I don't want ethernet anyway. So I installed LibreElec (SP?) and Kodi. Kodi has run a library on my 32GB flach USB but it's a wimpy music program that resembles ls with a play option.
If you installed those, you must have later switched to the IdPi on a MicroSD card or you wouldn't have an IdPi.  Is that correct?

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 05:28:28 pm »

bob,
Yes, I got the iD Pi SD friday and registered it. I have 3 SDs now: the original with Kodi, a 16G with an update to Kodi (if I remember correctly) and the new 16GB from JRiver (Id Pi).
ray72

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 10:15:32 pm »

bob,
THe ability to read the display let me load the library from the 2TB drive. That is great. I started a topic on the new state of my problem: the NAD won't play. The HDMI speakers in the display can be driven but I can't switch to the NAD. I presume you guys want to deal with this on the new link.
ray72

ray72

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 11:35:00 pm »

bob,
Just acknowledge, the boot with the HP display let me load the library from my 2TB Seagate. Changing the player tag lets the NAD run so everything is working.(Still need to boot with the HP and switch later to the ASUS).
Thank you .
ray72
Pages: [1]   Go Up