INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot Scroll Through Track  (Read 2199 times)

Schooner

• Recent member
Cannot Scroll Through Track
« on: November 25, 2018, 10:14:16 am »

I just picked up a Denon x4400h and set it up to use with JRiver.  Everything seems fine, except I cannot advance through songs using either my PC or JRemote on my iPad.

Previously, I had an Onkyo TR-NX616, but it finally developed a problem and needed replacement.  The Onkyo frustrated me because it would not play gapless via DLNA.  So, I was pleased to discover that the Denon plays gapless.  And it is has Tidal baked in, which I plan to give a try in the future.

In the meantime, though, I am really disappointed to find out I cannot scroll forward in a track.  I'm not sure if I need to change a setting in JRiver or if this is a problem with the Denon unit.  Any help would be appreciated because it might be a deal breaker if I cannot fix this issue.  I know that the Denon is not DLNA certified but uses Heos, which is supposed to be fully compatible.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Cannot Scroll Through Track
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 10:30:54 am »

Schooner

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 11:36:00 am »

I tried toggling all of the DLNA Controller options, but nothing did the trick.  If I disable SetNextAVTransport, I still cannot scroll through track and I lose gapless playback.  Disabling the other settings does not seem to do anything.  I've tried every combo I could think of.  And I shut down JRiver and re-started between different settings.

Oddly, I had the scroll bar working at one point briefly, but then it stopped working again.

If I cannot get this to work, any recommendations for decent receiver that plays gapless without issues in the sub-$1000 range?  Or do I still need to build an HTPC just to get gapless?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 06:32:19 pm »

What music format are you pushing? Are you pushing Original or transcoding? Some renderers can only support Seek() on some media formats. Compressed formats like FLAC or Apple Lossless are often more problematic (because a time offset does not translate easily to a byte offset), whereas non compressed formats like WAV or AIFF will probably be better. If your media is in say FLAC, you could perhaps try transcoding to WAV (PCM with Header) or L16 (PCM no header). But in general this is depends on the particular renderer manufacturer, and it is unfortunately not something that you can always necessarily fix by tweaking MC.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Schooner

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 10:53:57 pm »

I'm pushing/pulling FLAC files without any transcoding.  I'll try the WAV format since I have my library in both formats.  However, my FLACs include quite a few hi-res files that were downsampled for WAV.  I'll see how it works.

I also tried playing with the DLNA Server, Renderer, and Controller options under Tools / Options / Media Network / Advanced -- again, no luck.  I have a feeling this has something to do with the Denon not being DLNA certified.  Might need to swap it out for another brand.  The Marantz are supposed to be very similar (same company, I think) but are DLNA certified.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 03:14:49 am »

Also try transcoding to L16 (PCM no header) — it is the only format in DLNA that all manufacturers MUST support. (But if your Denon is really not DLNA compliant, it might not even support that..)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Schooner

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 01:42:15 pm »

Nothing I try works.  I wrote to Denon but did not receive a reply.  Sucks to have a very basic feature disabled.  Now, I'm rethinking my whole set-up.  Maybe return the Denon for a different unit or ditch the whole AVR route and go HTPC with separates.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 08:44:07 am »

Which build of MC are you using? On what platform?

If you are running windows, you could download the UPnP tools for developer to test the seek ability of the renderer.

Schooner

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 09:52:38 pm »

I am using MC 24 (24.0.68  64 bit) on a Windows 7 machine.  I returned the Denon because I got great deal on a Marantz SR7013.  I was hoping the Marantz would not have the same issue, but I realized that was unlikely because both brands are owned by the same company and both use the HEOS app.  I love the sound of the Marantz, but it has the same issues -- it cannot fast forward when streaming local files from a NAS to the stereo, regardless of whether I do that using JRiver or the Marantz HEOS app.  The only times I can fast-forward are when I am playing music from a USB thumb drive connected to the stereo or if I am using Tidal or Spotify.  To play Spotify, I stream directly from the app using Spotify Connect, which is great.  To play Tidal, I have to run it through the HEOS app.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 11:11:25 am »

I am using MC 24 (24.0.68  64 bit) on a Windows 7 machine.  I returned the Denon because I got great deal on a Marantz SR7013.  I was hoping the Marantz would not have the same issue, but I realized that was unlikely because both brands are owned by the same company and both use the HEOS app.  I love the sound of the Marantz, but it has the same issues -- it cannot fast forward when streaming local files from a NAS to the stereo, regardless of whether I do that using JRiver or the Marantz HEOS app.  The only times I can fast-forward are when I am playing music from a USB thumb drive connected to the stereo or if I am using Tidal or Spotify.  To play Spotify, I stream directly from the app using Spotify Connect, which is great.  To play Tidal, I have to run it through the HEOS app.
Were you able to try seeking with the UPnP for developer tools Device Spy app?
Pages: [1]   Go Up