INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote has Problem with Very Large Playlists  (Read 1178 times)

gtp600

• Recent member
JRemote has Problem with Very Large Playlists
« on: November 25, 2018, 02:49:26 pm »

JRemote frequently drops connection to Mediacenter Library Server when the playlist is very large.
Playing a genre of ~47,000 tracks causes frequent drops, as frequently as every 10 - 20 minutes in some cases.
I can reconnect to the server without issue whenever a drop occurs.
Music playback on the Mediacenter PC continues without issue, even after JRemote drops the connection.

I've tried two different IPads -
     JRemote 3.22 w/IOS 9.3.5
     JRemote 3.25 w/IOS 10.3.3

I've tried two different Mediacenter computers -
     MC 23.0.104 (64 bit) with Windows 10
     MC 24.0.28 (64 bit) with Ubuntu 18.0.4

I've tested other playlists with as many as ~7,000 tracks and everything works fine.

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote has Problem with Very Large Playlists
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 02:55:18 pm »

Simple solution: Don't play playlists with 47,000 tracks. You'll never get more than a couple of hundred in anyway.

phleeb

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:26:43 am »

Good info on the playlist problem.  I'm wondering what is the max that will show up on the list page (list of songs on playlist and shows which song is playing, just to be clear)?  Sometimes I play my total library of 100,000+ songs at random and JRemote does fine except cannot show the playlist as above.  In increments it does fine.  So what is the max number of songs that can be shown?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 10:30:32 am »

You might try using Play Doctor.  It should be under Other Play Options once you select a seed file or files.  The wiki has more information.

gtp600

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 11:09:50 am »

Simple solution: Don't play playlists with 47,000 tracks. You'll never get more than a couple of hundred in anyway.

Thanks DJLegba. At least you read the post before crafting that insightful reply.

See post from phleeb. Perhaps you've heard of random mode? One of the nice benefits of having a digital library in the first place.

gtp600

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 10:14:29 am »

You might try using Play Doctor.  It should be under Other Play Options once you select a seed file or files.  The wiki has more information.

JimH:  Thanks. I haven't used Play Doctor before, but it looks interesting. I'll experiment with it.

DJLegba

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 02:46:09 pm »

Thanks DJLegba. At least you read the post before crafting that insightful reply.

See post from phleeb. Perhaps you've heard of random mode? One of the nice benefits of having a digital library in the first place.

Create a Smartlist, add Shuffle as a modifier, and limit the number of items to something reasonable.

gtp600

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 09:33:39 am »

DJLegba: Create a Smartlist, add Shuffle as a modifier, and limit the number of items to something reasonable.

That will work as well. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep my playlist size under control.

Just out of curiosity, exactly how does the 'Now Playing' info on JRemote get updated?
I've noticed that the right side of screen (album art, title, file type, etc) always updates quickly, but with large playlists, the left side of screen (playlist) updates later.
Sometimes several seconds later. Is the entire playlist being resent after each track just to update the playlist position? If so, perhaps JRemote app is timing out on
something when playlist is very large, causing connection to drop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up