INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RDP Crash while Populating Fanned Thumbnails [Solved]  (Read 4189 times)

designmule

• World Citizen
RDP Crash while Populating Fanned Thumbnails [Solved]
« on: November 25, 2018, 10:43:50 pm »

On two Raspberry Pi 2bs (and an Allo Sparky) running dietpi, JRiver 24, xVNC & xRDP. I have an odd error when connecting via Windows RDP. In Genres if the list style is set to fanned thumbnails the Windows RDP client crashes while populating the view. The error message reads "Because of a protocol error, the session will be disconnected. Please try connecting to the remote computer again." On reconnect, the same error occurs presumably because the remote session is trying to load the same screen.

The Windows RDP client does not crash populating any other type of thumbnail view. From what I can tell, Genres is the only thumbnail view one which has the fanned thumbnail option. Additionally, all thumbnails have been pre-built on the Pis.

If I remote into the Pi via TigerVNC there are no errors with the fanned thumbnails.

If I remote into a Windows box via Windows RDP there are no errors with the fanned thumbnails.

Clearly I can work around this by either using TigerVNC from my Windows machine or turning off fanned thumbnails in the view settings (however this change doesn't seem to stick on reboot). I'd still like to get it sorted out as I prefer RDP and it's annoying to reboot the pi if I accidentally click on Genres.

Maybe there's a setting to tweak in the xrdp.ini file? Or permanently set the default view for Genres?

I appreciate suggestions anyone might offer.
Matt 

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: RDP Crash while Populating Fanned Thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 09:57:15 am »

On two Raspberry Pi 2bs (and an Allo Sparky) running dietpi, JRiver 24, xVNC & xRDP. I have an odd error when connecting via Windows RDP. In Genres if the list style is set to fanned thumbnails the Windows RDP client crashes while populating the view. The error message reads "Because of a protocol error, the session will be disconnected. Please try connecting to the remote computer again." On reconnect, the same error occurs presumably because the remote session is trying to load the same screen.

The Windows RDP client does not crash populating any other type of thumbnail view. From what I can tell, Genres is the only thumbnail view one which has the fanned thumbnail option. Additionally, all thumbnails have been pre-built on the Pis.

If I remote into the Pi via TigerVNC there are no errors with the fanned thumbnails.

If I remote into a Windows box via Windows RDP there are no errors with the fanned thumbnails.

Clearly I can work around this by either using TigerVNC from my Windows machine or turning off fanned thumbnails in the view settings (however this change doesn't seem to stick on reboot). I'd still like to get it sorted out as I prefer RDP and it's annoying to reboot the pi if I accidentally click on Genres.

Maybe there's a setting to tweak in the xrdp.ini file? Or permanently set the default view for Genres?

I appreciate suggestions anyone might offer.
Matt
Are all of your thumbnails pre-generated?
Check reporter for the Thumbnail build %

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 08:48:24 pm »

Thanks for responding Bob. I ran reporter and then re-ran "pre-build thumbnails"

On the PIs reporter gives me:
PiCrafteria 97% (21365 of 22004) after 97% (21368 of 22004)
PiBedroom 97% (21368 of 22004) after 97% (21368 of 22004)

On a Windows NUC (which is not the library server) reporter gives me:
nuc-livingroom  97% (21365 of 22004) after 97% (21368 of 22004)

On the library server running Windows, reporter gives me:
ele-srvr01 100% (22004 of 22004)

Maybe I need to figure out why all of the thumbnails aren't being generated. Any tips?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 06:51:34 am »

In MC's options, under Tree & View, you can tell it to build all thumbnails.

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 09:26:20 am »

In Tree & View I have the option to build missing thumbnails. When I do so JRiver reports that it is processing the 600 or so missing thumbnails but when it is finished, reporter still indicates 97% 21368 of 22004 thumbnails have been built.

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 10:45:44 pm »

On the PIs, I took a look at the Smartlist "Audio -- Missing Cover Art". I did not go through all of the 386 files listed, but of the files I checked the library server did not show cover art either. Recall that reporter on the library server does not indicate missing thumbnails.

I like a tidy library so I don't mind the idea of going through and updating thumbnails for tracks which do not have them but some of these tracks are bootlegs or live recordings which don't have album artwork to update. Additionally, my issue is related to RDP crashes when clicking on Genre and the fanned thumbnails are generated. I wouldn't expect that all albums, all songs must have a thumbnail.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 10:02:56 am »

On the PIs, I took a look at the Smartlist "Audio -- Missing Cover Art". I did not go through all of the 386 files listed, but of the files I checked the library server did not show cover art either. Recall that reporter on the library server does not indicate missing thumbnails.

I like a tidy library so I don't mind the idea of going through and updating thumbnails for tracks which do not have them but some of these tracks are bootlegs or live recordings which don't have album artwork to update. Additionally, my issue is related to RDP crashes when clicking on Genre and the fanned thumbnails are generated. I wouldn't expect that all albums, all songs must have a thumbnail.

I don't think the ones that are missing thumbs should be able to generate the issue.
It sounds like there is a mismatch between the supported RDP of the X based RDP server on the Pi and the RDP client on windows since VNC works.

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 03:38:17 pm »

That is my thought as well but tweaking the xrdp.ini file hasn't done me much good.

Is there any way to disable to the fanned thumbnails that will survive a reboot?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 03:30:32 pm »

That is my thought as well but tweaking the xrdp.ini file hasn't done me much good.

Is there any way to disable to the fanned thumbnails that will survive a reboot?
The list-syle isn't saved across runs.
Are you getting the error right away on the Genre display or after you hover over something and it rotates through the thumbs?

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 03:55:09 pm »

The crash occurs as it is rendering the thumbnails. Typically, I can see part of the first row before it crashes.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 07:47:07 am »

The crash occurs as it is rendering the thumbnails. Typically, I can see part of the first row before it crashes.
I'll see if I can duplicate that.
What version of RDP are you running?

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 09:28:36 am »

I'm pretty sure it's vnc4server and xrdp but let me double check tonight. If confirmed, do you need more specific details?

I appreciate the help.
Matt

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 12:46:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's vnc4server and xrdp but let me double check tonight. If confirmed, do you need more specific details?

I appreciate the help.
Matt
The version of xrdp on linux and which remote desktop version you are running on windows. Thanks.

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 10:42:20 pm »

On Windows I am running release 1803. I am using the default Windows RDP client. I cannot find any indication of version.

On the Pis I am running XRDP 0.9.1.

I appreciate your help looking into this.
Matt

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 10:19:15 am »

On Windows I am running release 1803. I am using the default Windows RDP client. I cannot find any indication of version.

On the Pis I am running XRDP 0.9.1.

I appreciate your help looking into this.
Matt
I looked in the changelogs and there are bugs in the 0.9.1 version you are running that could be related.
The current version is 0.9.8 but you'd probably need to roll your own to get that.

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 10:45:43 am »

Thanks so much for looking into this. I'll have a go at updating.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 05:51:35 pm »

Is dietpi based on stretch already? At least stretch-backports has a 0.9.8 build that you could try.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 11:05:05 pm »

DietPi is based on stretch.

I updated xrdp through backports following the instructions I found here: https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

...and all is well. Thanks for the help everyone!
Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up