INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Belt & Suspenders ...  (Read 960 times)

emcee2

• Recent member
Belt & Suspenders ...
« on: December 14, 2018, 03:04:38 pm »

jack, jack, the idiot dunce -- c'est moi ... still waving my arms for attention here.  Many have read an no one has responded  -- am I being unduly impatient or (and to which I assign equal probability) are my questions soooo diminutively silly as to not warrant response ?

::m

team -- show me some love here, pls -- I'm trying to be a buyer  8) ...

Apologies for glaring convention faux paux -- I should not have opened new topic and should have placed within existing Id conversations -- not sure how to correct the error without duplication and further annoyance to board-contributors ...

Spent several hours reading posts here and considering Id alternatives (Allo US Bridge, Chromecast, etc.) and am about to purchase several Id units.

Here's my deal ... using Dell workstation running Win 10 64-bit and JRiver MC24 accessing FLAC collection on NASD.  In other parts of the house, I have two separate component audio systems, each with a decent DAC in front.

I want to access my music on either/both of the separate component audio systems (will be using JRemote on Andriod phone).

Immediately accessible to each of the audio systems are Cat 5 ethernet cables which connect all computers, NASD, etc.

So, if I understand this correctly ... I am going to install a fully-baked IdPi at each audio system.  I will connect an ethernet cable directly to the IdPi and then connect the output of the IdPi directly to my DAC. 

I will follow set-up instructions and then will be able to"see" each of the IdPi units as devices on my LAN.  I will configure MC24 for DLNA and then each of the audio systems they can be set up as separate "zones" via the MC24 control panel.  Finally, I will be able to use the JRremote app on my phone to control music being played via the MC24 server

Did I understand this correctly?  Can I push the "purchase button?

One last thing ... I could not tell if the IdPi output is USB or Coax or digital RCA or optical -- please clarify so I can make sure I have the right adapters.

thanx! in advance for your attention, response and patience with my newbie Q's

BradATIMA

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Belt & Suspenders ...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:58:53 am »

It sounds like your understanding is correct. It sounds like you're planning to use the IdPi's as renderers and use the Dell as the server. Once set up, the IdPi's will show up as DLNA zones on your Media Center 24 server. You can connect the DACs to the IdPi via USB. If you do plan to connect them via USB, make sure the DACs are compatible with Linux. If they are, you should be fine. You will just need to configure Media Center on each IdPi to output audio using the DAC. There is also a 35mm analog port and an HDMI port for output as well. The only way to connect to the IdPi via optical, RCA, or coax is to buy a HAT for the Pi that offers these output methods.

emcee2

• Recent member
Re: Belt & Suspenders ...
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 10:19:40 am »

Brad -- thanks for taking the time to read/reply.  Very helpful -- especially the need to check DAC Linux compatibility.  Best wishes ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up