INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id potential purchaser checklist  (Read 1238 times)

sKiZo

• World Citizen
Id potential purchaser checklist
« on: January 04, 2019, 01:35:44 pm »

Correct me on any of the following if I'm wrong here.

- I can purchase the ID direct with a 2tb external USB hard drive.
- The ID comes pre-loaded with Linux and the latest version of MC, including the license.
- The ID can be used as a stand alone player once you add media files and build the library.
- I can use a wireless keyboard/mouse to control the ID.
- The screen display in MC is similar to that of a stand alone version.
- ID's MC has all the DSP audio tools available in the full windows version.
- I'll still be able to load other programs to the drive (windows emulator, audio utilities, and such).

Couple questions

- can I import an existing library structure to the ID?
- Where would I park a convolution file on the ID?
- Can the ID restore a backup from a USB drive or would I be better off doing a full clone of the hard drive as I currently do?

I'm sure most of this has been addressed, but my HTPC just died, and looking for a viable Plan B. Doesn't help that I'm doing some pretty serious drugs here due to recent medical problems, so the closest thing to Plug n Play would be seriously appreciated.  ;-}

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: ID potential purchaser checklist
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 02:12:02 pm »

Correct me on any of the following if I'm wrong here.

- I can purchase the ID direct with a 2tb external USB hard drive.
- The ID comes pre-loaded with Linux and the latest version of MC, including the license.
- The ID can be used as a stand alone player once you add media files and build the library.
- I can use a wireless keyboard/mouse to control the ID.
- The screen display in MC is similar to that of a stand alone version.
- ID's MC has all the DSP audio tools available in the full windows version.
Yes to all above. 
- I'll still be able to load other programs to the drive (windows emulator, audio utilities, and such).
No.  It's not an open Linux system.  If that's what you want, you'd be better off to buy a NUC and build something.
- can I import an existing library structure to the ID?
- Where would I park a convolution file on the ID?
- Can the ID restore a backup from a USB drive or would I be better off doing a full clone of the hard drive as I currently do?

I'm sure most of this has been addressed, but my HTPC just died, and looking for a viable Plan B. Doesn't help that I'm doing some pretty serious drugs here due to recent medical problems, so the closest thing to Plug n Play would be seriously appreciated.  ;-}
Loading media on it is done with SAMBA.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
Re: Id potential purchaser checklist
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 02:49:39 pm »

OK then ... is SAMBA loaded and ready to go on the ID? The whole Linux thing is new to me ...

Probably worth mentioning - I don't have (or wish to have) a central server, and my smart phone is way to smart for me - I'm just happy it can still make phone calls!  <G>

PS - to regurgitate - goal is to have a standalone player that can work with audio stored on the external drive.

One more question - be nice if I could just plug the ID's output into my DAC's USB port? That has analog out to my "classic" audio system, and no worries being able to still use my existing outboard processors, same as the dead HTPC did ...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 04:00:23 pm »

The Id supports SAMBA connections.

This thread covers external drives:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,95376.0.html

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 04:27:48 pm »

OK then ... one other question, and I'll maybe stop bothering you.

In the interest of having as many options as possible, could the ID be used as a standalone Windows computer if I don't load the flash card? Looks to be good hardware and then I could either use it as built if I can figure out the samba thing, or go ahead and boot it from the external drive instead.

Thanx for your help ... and I'll definitely check out the link.

Whoops - another thought. I can use another computer to load the existing media onto the external drive, but how do I go about updating it with new music? I was thinking maybe use a USB hub and copy from a thumb drive to the external drive, but I guess that would require the ID to recognize and work with two external drives ...   

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 06:56:12 pm »

OK then ... one other question, and I'll maybe stop bothering you.

In the interest of having as many options as possible, could the ID be used as a standalone Windows computer if I don't load the flash card? Looks to be good hardware and then I could either use it as built if I can figure out the samba thing, or go ahead and boot it from the external drive instead.

Thanx for your help ... and I'll definitely check out the link.

Whoops - another thought. I can use another computer to load the existing media onto the external drive, but how do I go about updating it with new music? I was thinking maybe use a USB hub and copy from a thumb drive to the external drive, but I guess that would require the ID to recognize and work with two external drives ...
Eaesiest to just use samba/cifs to just copy things to the external drive over the network with the thumb drive attached to your Windows or Mac machine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up