INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What role, if any, does DLNA play when a Client plays from a Library Server?  (Read 1961 times)

pepar

• World Citizen

I am at the point where I need to wrap my head around Client/Library Server operation and what settings need to be. My setup is an unRAID NAS with all of my content, a Linux NUC running MC as Library Server and (for now) a Windows box with MC and the Library Server selected as the library. In this setup is DLNA playing any part? If so, I do have boxes checked for enabling DLNA, the DLNA options under "Advanced" and boxes checked under Client Options.

My somewhat limited knowledge of DLNA makes me think DLNA isn't involved, but that's why I am asking.
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

The wiki topic on Media Network might be useful.

When you're connecting to Library Server, you're not using DLNA.

pepar

• World Citizen

The wiki topic on Media Network might be useful.

When you're connecting to Library Server, you're not using DLNA.
Thanks. I have read the Wiki but I get the feeling that it assumes I know more than I know!

So, I can turn all DLNA settings OFF if I am simply using a Library Server and a Client?

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Yes, if you're just connecting a MC client to a MC server, you don't need DLNA enabled on either.  However, if you want your SmartTV to connect to your MC server, you'd need to enable DLNA on the server.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

pepar

• World Citizen

I re-read everything including Server/Client stuff and redid the settings. Apparently "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DLNA" must be checked to share the library/act as Library Server and ... DLNA is enabled as well? One box gets you two different features? Confusing .. to me anyway. :)

The popup box when checking that box was also helpful as it told me how to access the Server. Am now re-re-reading the Wiki on Media Network. I hope this also gets me playing the "local" file (directly from NAS) instead of by way of the NUC acting as Library Server. Somehow though, I think I will be back for help on that.

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up