INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: merge libraries  (Read 3211 times)

dontaskmethat

• nothing more to say...
merge libraries
« on: May 23, 2003, 12:35:04 pm »

According to the help file, it is possible to MERGE libraries. Here's the helpfile:

1. Go to File | Library | Library Manager.

2. Load one of the libraries.

3. Click on the other library you would like to add to your current one.

4. Select "Merge".

Thing is....There is no MERGE to select. Did this change in Media Center 9 or am I missing something?

Cindy_B

• Recent member
  • I love my Media Center!
Re: merge libraries
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 09:00:47 pm »

According to the help file, it is possible to MERGE libraries. Here's the helpfile:

1. Go to File | Library | Library Manager.

2. Load one of the libraries.

3. Click on the other library you would like to add to your current one.

4. Select "Merge".

Thing is....There is no MERGE to select. Did this change in Media Center 9 or am I missing something?

I also came across this problem.

I can't figure out how to transfer my new files from my pc to my laptop without having to re-enter all my tag info.  

Backup and restore won't work because I have both computers configured differently.  (ie.. rating, playlist.....)

Can someone please advise how to merge new music/video files.

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 10:11:36 pm »

Hi,

The "Merge libraries" feature has been removed in MC9, it' been discussed here http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1052104613;start=2#2.
The help file did not mentioned this in some version of MC but it looks like it has been corrected in recent builds. The Help file for 9.0.177 seems Ok. What version of MC are you using ?
I tried to imagine a workaround for merging libraries using XML backups and manual merge using a text editor but it does not work very well as it does not merge view schemes, playlists and custom tags?

So for now there's now easy way to merge libs with MC9.

hope this helps,

have a nice sunday,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 10:29:15 pm »

Hi Cindy,

I can't figure out how to transfer my new files from my pc to my laptop without having to re-enter all my tag info.    

Backup and restore won't work because I have both computers configured differently.  (ie.. rating, playlist.....)

For files:
If your tag infos are stored in the file (check "update tags when file info change" in Options/General) then you only need to copy your files and re-import them, the tags will be imported along your files. If you use custom tags you must make sure you checked the "store in file tag" box in the custom tag edit dialog.
Works very well with ape, mpc, ogg, mp3
Of course, the custom tags need to be 'declared' on both computer libraries.

For playlists: (tricky)
You can use the  export playlist function but you need to have the same file & directory structure on both computers (which is rarely the case) or you need some manual editing (find/replace) on your saved playlists. Basically replacing the file paths from one computer to the other. Tip: better use the MPL format for playlists as it will also store a copy of your tags.
To re-import playlists use the normal "import media.." command and check the appropriate box for mpl playlists. your imported playlists will appear under 'imported playlists' in the playlist tree.

hope this helps,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)
Pages: [1]   Go Up