INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ROHQ flicker during dark scenes  (Read 1082 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
ROHQ flicker during dark scenes
« on: January 27, 2019, 06:06:13 pm »

Using MC 24.0.74

This issue doesn't happen with my HTPC with NVIDIA GPU, but does on my surface 5 with i5-7300U HD Graphics 620. 4GB Ram.

I use Red October HQ and Best Performance quality setting.

During dark scenes on videos the brightness flickers. This has been happening for quite a while.
I was recently visiting friends that also use MC on their i5 HTPC that is a couple years old. They have it connected to a TV and the flicker was also very apparent on their setup.

The same scenes when using Red October Standard don't have any flicker but they are much darker than with HQ.

Is my PC under powered?
Is MadVR trying unsuccessfully to brighten the scene?
Are there any MadVR tweaks I can try to fix this?

Thanks

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
Re: ROHQ flicker during dark scenes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 10:10:50 pm »

Bump.

Surely I can't be the only one seeing this.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 03:53:24 pm »

In the Intel GPU driver settings, make sure that you have disabled all of the enhancements like "dynamic contrast."

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:32:10 pm »

Thanks BryanC
Surfaces don't have the Intel graphics control panel, but I know there is a way to get it installed. I will try if my issue isn't resolved without it.

Windows 10 settings on the Surface does have a 'Graphics Settings' section where it's possible to set MC to high performance. I have done this and will see if it makes a difference.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 11:04:29 pm »

Windows 10 settings on the Surface does have a 'Graphics Settings' section where it's possible to set MC to high performance. I have done this and will see if it makes a difference.

This has helped. Instead of flicker there are now times when a dark scene will just get lighter or darker and stay that way. Half of a flicker? I can live with this, but I will still try to get the Intel control panel installed to see if I can improve it more.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 01:31:51 pm »

It seams Intel hasn't been releasing zips of their drivers lately so I can't install the Intel control panel. My current driver is fairly recent so it's OK.

I was able to watch a blu-ray completely flicker free last night by using the "Balanced" quality setting instead of the "Best Performance". My surface 5 had no problems with it.

I will have to test a bit more with DVD playback using "Balanced". My previous Surface, a Surface 4, could just barely play blu-rays with RO, but was too under powered to play a DVD rip properly. This was before the quality presets were added to MC.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 02:29:01 pm »

I have no surface … but I did came across this issue of adaptive/dynamic contrast crap

try reading through this article https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-adapative-contrast-surface
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 02:53:44 pm »

Thanks tij.
I came across similar articles before. Comments typical mentioned that the changes to the registry were always undone by windows update. Supposedly doing this has the same result of disabling adaptive contrast in the registry:
Windows 10 settings on the Surface does have a 'Graphics Settings' section where it's possible to set MC to high performance.
Annoying stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up