INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: madVR Settings  (Read 14399 times)

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
madVR Settings
« on: January 30, 2019, 09:11:09 am »

Hi there,

I have a weird issue with MadVR settings.

I have an existing install of MadVR+LAV+MPC-BE. All works fine. MadVR is set to use tonemapping with pixel shaders. MadVR settings are not in a .bin file but in the registry.

I installed the latest JRiver and it looks like irrespective of the settings I use, JRiver uses a "ghost" version of the settings, and forces MadVR to use "let MadVR decide", which leads to a fixed metadata (1000/20) sent to the display for each title and no way to use the tonemapping with pixel shader.

I tried everything: resetting my settings using one of the Red October HQ options, using custom settings (with MadVR and LAV splitter/audio/video decoder selected), there doesn't seem to be any way to get JRiver to use my settings, or if the settings are reset to select tonemapping with pixel shader. The option is either greyed out, or if it's not you change, save, and when you come back it's back to "let MadVR decide".

I have two questions:

1) Ideally, I'd like to be able to use my own, existing settings with JRiver, so that I have the same settings for all the appes using MadVR/LAV. How can I achieve this?
2) If this is not possible, how can I set MadVR so that I don't have this "ghost" setting that forces "Let MadVR decide" and prevents using pixel shaders?

My rig is a Windows 10 x64 with a 1080Ti and the latest nVidia drivers. MadVR is the latest release + latest test build. LAV is 0.73.1.

I've already purchased V25 (I renew every year but haven't used JRiver for a while). If this is a known issue and is solved in V25, is there a way to access a beta of V25?

I tried with the stable and latest of V24, I don't have access to beta versions of V24 either.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: madVR Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 09:12:22 am »

Please read the Red October topic on our wiki. 

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 09:38:03 am »

Hi Jim,

Thanks, if this is what you mean https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Red_October I can't find any insight there.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 11:16:28 am »

What I do on this topic is pretty simple.  I replace the madvr that JRiver downloads to the plugins folder with the one I'm using (e.g. the test builds we're playing with) and then run the madvr install bat from there.  Inside JRiver, I use custom settings and add LAV and madvr as external filters.  If you have a settings.bin from a different install of madvr, copy it to the plugins madvr folder.  I keep madvr in this location with a backup of my settings.bin because I've had similar issues to what you're seeing in the past.  Once it's registered, any other player will be able to use it, as well.  Once in a while JRiver updates their version of madvr and it'll download and overwrite what you put in there...just put yours back after it does that and you're golden.  Hope this helps!

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 11:34:01 am »

What I do on this topic is pretty simple.  I replace the madvr that JRiver downloads to the plugins folder with the one I'm using (e.g. the test builds we're playing with) and then run the madvr install bat from there.  Inside JRiver, I use custom settings and add LAV and madvr as external filters.  If you have a settings.bin from a different install of madvr, copy it to the plugins madvr folder.  I keep madvr in this location with a backup of my settings.bin because I've had similar issues to what you're seeing in the past.  Once it's registered, any other player will be able to use it, as well.  Once in a while JRiver updates their version of madvr and it'll download and overwrite what you put in there...just put yours back after it does that and you're golden.  Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot, that makes sense, I'll try that. My settings are in the registry though, do you know how I can convert them to settings.bin? Or is it okay to re-import the registry section after I've uninstalled my current version of MadVR and LAV to enable the one in JRiver?

Also I notived that only the 64bits version of LAV seems to be installed by JRiver. I think we need the 32bits version for MadMeasureHDR. How do you resolve this?

So here is what I plan to do:

- find a way to convert registry into settings.bin
- uninstall current standalone MadVR
- uninstall current standalone LAV
- copy the build 38 files into the JRiver MadVR folder
- hopefully copy the converted registry settings to get all my settings back

Does that make sense?

Thanks again. I had JRiver working with MadVR a while back but something must have changed.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 11:42:06 am »

I have a 32 bit MPC-HC that I use and register LAV from there.  The settings.bin should be created by madvr from your registry settings and vice versa afaik.  And yes, your workflow looks good to me.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 12:00:31 pm »

Great, I'll try a 32bits MPC-HC to register LAV 32. For some reasons MadVR never creates a settings.bin, not sure why. I'll ask in the MadVR thread on Doom9.

Thanks again for your help.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 12:21:11 pm »

Okay I have now my MadVR settings working fine. I simply deleted the settings.bin and it seems to be using the registry.

Problem is my render times are 50% up (30ms to 45ms, so lots of frame drops). It might be because of LAV settings, but I can't find a way to access them now. Is there a way in JRiver to tune the LAV video and LAV audio settings?

I tried re-installing LAV standalone, but I'm not getting my render times back.

Manni

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 01:14:16 pm »

OK, I got it to work perfectly in the end.

Anyone with this issue, here is what worked for me to get the same performance in JRiver and in MPC-BE:

- Uninstall the standalone version of MadVR
- Keep the standalone version of LAV installed
- Install Red October HQ with custom settings
- Copy all the files from my MadVR installation into the JRiver MadVR folder (users/user/appdata/roaming/jriver/mediacentre24/plugins/madvr), including the files from the latest test build 38. This folder will be modified by JRiver in a later update, so make sure you have a backup somewhere to replace if necessary.
- I simply deleted the settings.bin in the JRiver MadVR install folder to have my registry settings apply (I had backed them up and re-imported them just to be on the safe side).
- Add MadVR renderer, LAV Source Splitter, LAV Audio and LAV Video as custom filters. All the settings are accessible there, as well as in the tray when a file is playing.

Otherwise without the custom filters I had poor rendering times and/or huge clock deviation that caused lots of frame drops.

The only other issue I had was to get HDMI bitstreaming to work, and that was because I was using the default direct sound device (which works fine with other players). I had to select manually the nVidia HDMI device WASAPI in JRiver. The standard nVidia HDMI device one wouldn't work.

I would highly suggest to make a sticky about this HDMI issue as I'm not the only one with this problem and I couldn't find a simple solution to this.

Anyway, I now have the same performance as with MCP-BE, but with BD and UHD BD Menus :)

Keep up the good work everyone, looking forward to spending more time again with JRiver, and thanks again to SamuriHL for his precious help with this issue.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 03:01:30 pm »

Glad you got it sorted.  I had to run out for a bit.  Yea, I add LAV Video and madvr to my custom so I can change those settings.  I leave everything else standard and it's worked for me for a long time now.  It's really a very nice setup.  :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 05:31:08 am »

Much easier way if you want to test a later version of madVR than what is shipped with MC:
- Leave MC set to ROHQ and don't change the ...Quality Setting... option
- Copy the version of madvr you want to test to the "...appdata/roaming/jriver/mediacentre24/plugins/madvr" folder (over write the files)
- In MC Settings--> Video--> ...Open madVR Settings and config madVR the way you want.

Job Done.

If you change any of the MC ... Quality Setting... it will change the madVR settings back to the default ones that MC uses.  If you want to revert to the shipped version just delete the "...appdata/roaming/jriver/mediacentre24/plugins/madvr" folder and MC will download the shipped version.
JRiver CEO Elect

Skyx

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 07:16:24 am »

Hi all,

I'm quite confused...

Much easier way if you want to test a later version of madVR than what is shipped with MC:
- Leave MC set to ROHQ and don't change the ...Quality Setting... option
- Copy the version of madvr you want to test to the "...appdata/roaming/jriver/mediacentre24/plugins/madvr" folder (over write the files)
- In MC Settings--> Video--> ...Open madVR Settings and config madVR the way you want.

If you change any of the MC ... Quality Setting... it will change the madVR settings back to the default ones that MC uses.  If you want to revert to the shipped version just delete the "...appdata/roaming/jriver/mediacentre24/plugins/madvr" folder and MC will download the shipped version.

the MadVR settings are imho stored in a settings.bin... I was using Kodi and MPC, MadVR is stored in C:\MadVR...
I don't think I changed the Quality settings... so all I have to do is to copy everything from C:\MadVR (regardless of the version) to ...appdata/roaming/jriver/mediacentre24/plugins/madvr including the settings.bin and I should be good to go ?

Many thanks
Sky

claw

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 08:37:30 pm »

OK, I got it to work perfectly in the end.

Anyone with this issue, here is what worked for me to get the same performance in JRiver and in MPC-BE:

- Uninstall the standalone version of MadVR
- Keep the standalone version of LAV installed
- Install Red October HQ with custom settings
- Copy all the files from my MadVR installation into the JRiver MadVR folder (users/user/appdata/roaming/jriver/mediacentre24/plugins/madvr), including the files from the latest test build 38. This folder will be modified by JRiver in a later update, so make sure you have a backup somewhere to replace if necessary.
- I simply deleted the settings.bin in the JRiver MadVR install folder to have my registry settings apply (I had backed them up and re-imported them just to be on the safe side).
- Add MadVR renderer, LAV Source Splitter, LAV Audio and LAV Video as custom filters. All the settings are accessible there, as well as in the tray when a file is playing.

Otherwise without the custom filters I had poor rendering times and/or huge clock deviation that caused lots of frame drops.

The only other issue I had was to get HDMI bitstreaming to work, and that was because I was using the default direct sound device (which works fine with other players). I had to select manually the nVidia HDMI device WASAPI in JRiver. The standard nVidia HDMI device one wouldn't work.

I would highly suggest to make a sticky about this HDMI issue as I'm not the only one with this problem and I couldn't find a simple solution to this.

Anyway, I now have the same performance as with MCP-BE, but with BD and UHD BD Menus :)

Keep up the good work everyone, looking forward to spending more time again with JRiver, and thanks again to SamuriHL for his precious help with this issue.

Hi Manni,

I just purchased an RTX-2080 Super.

Since I want to continue using folders with menus like I can with my Oppo, I downloaded and installed the current version of JRiver.   

At first I just selected the Red October HQ option that downloaded MadVR.  But I saw this post and tried to add custom filters.

Adding the MadVR renderer was fine.
Then I downloaded current standalone Lav filters and installed them.   Then added the filters as you described.

Unfortunately, my render times went from 21 ms to 55 ms with the standalone Lav filters. UHD disc playback in Tone mapping mode was unwatchable due to stutter.   Leaving just the MadVR renderer did not increase times at all.

So I have reverted back to Red October HQ using the built-in Lav filters.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 10:19:25 am »

As wiki probably mentioned (did not read it myself) … MC comes with its own copy of MadVR and LAV

MC's MadVR settings is accessible if you are using RO HQ from option-video … MC's LAV filer settings are hidden for stability reasons (according to developers ... one of which is THE author of LAV)

If you have MadVR and LAV istalled separately (for other programs like MPCHC or Kodi) … MC will not use those installs and their settings.

There are ways to force MC to use other versions of MadVR and LAV (some of which has been discussed here already).

Hope this helps for new ppl who finds this thread a bit confusing.

Then I downloaded current standalone Lav filters and installed them.   Then added the filters as you described.

Unfortunately, my render times went from 21 ms to 55 ms with the standalone Lav filters. UHD disc playback in Tone mapping mode was unwatchable due to stutter.   Leaving just the MadVR renderer did not increase times at all.

So I have reverted back to Red October HQ using the built-in Lav filters.
One of the reasons JRiver did as they did with LAV and MadVR (Hendrick is probably going … "I told you so" lol) … IMHO its fine to fiddle with these as long as you know what you doing, just don't expect JRiver to help troubleshoot problems that might come with this as they officially dont support this mode of use
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

fedepre

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 04:15:46 am »

Hi all,

I'm a new JRiver user. I've got a nice Home Theater room, HTPC + JVC projector.  I like madvr tone mapping capabilities which are of great help for projectors.

I've a problem with JRiver + madvr: I cannot change some settings in madvr: for instance I cannot change settings like "shadows recovery" which is stuck to "medium" (anyhow I can change "highlight recovery" setting!) or I cannot reduce "display peak luminance" lower than 100 nits. Several other settings are also locked by default. It seems JRiver has some kind of default settings for madvr and there's no way to change them.

Does anybody have a clue how to unlock these specific madvr settings?

Regards,

Federico

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 07:09:05 am »

You might start by reading the Red October topic on our wiki.

MC uses its own copy of madVR.  You can change that if you want and use yours.  The topic explains more.

fedepre

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2020, 08:23:01 am »

You might start by reading the Red October topic on our wiki.

MC uses its own copy of madVR.  You can change that if you want and use yours.  The topic explains more.

Hi Jim,

I could not find a detailed explanation regarding this topic. Do you have the possibility to share a link? Thanks in advance

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2020, 08:28:59 am »

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Red_October

Read the Customization section.  Search on the forum for madVR.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MadVR
Pages: [1]   Go Up