INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could You PLEASE...  (Read 2817 times)

dichotomous1

• Junior Woodchuck
Could You PLEASE...
« on: March 03, 2019, 03:09:16 pm »

Please consider adjustments to these two functions.

1- The volume adjustment slider function activates no matter where the cursor is.
If the user trys to move the open MC window on their desktop and doesn't click in just the right place to drag it, the volume slider activates shooting the volume up.  Even if clicking on the opposite side of the MC window, away from the volume slider, the volume shoots up. If the users finger brushes the trackpad, the volume shoots up.  Even with Volume Protection activated, this is beyond extremely annoying, dangerous to sensitive and costly equipment and could be considered a liability.

2- Overwrite of Playing now needs to have a confirm prior to activation.
One could spend hours creating a playlist in Plating Now via the action window.  Then just one click not slow enough on a track, accidental double click or brush to the trackpad and the entire Playing Now playlist is wiped out and overwritten with the single track clicked on.  It happens to me constantly.  Hours wasted creating playlists for gatherings etc, overwritten with a single click, no confirmation.  Same goes for the drag and drop.  Drop the track into the action window in the wrong place and the entire playlist is overwritten/ wiped out.

Thanks for listening, much appreciated
J

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Could You PLEASE...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 05:55:51 pm »

A Playing Now overwrite confirmation would probably be easy but it might also be annoying.  I wonder if it could just show a never show again check?  Thanks for the idea.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 07:33:35 pm »

You might want to know that there is a set of saved "playing nows" under Playlists > Recent Playing Nows .  I'm not exactly sure how often that is updated, but I've used it quite a few times to get back my Playing Now after doing something silly and accidentally overwriting the whole thing.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 08:44:57 pm »

2. One could actually create a Playlist instead of manually building a list of files in Playing Now, and then one would never overwrite the contents accidentally, and one would always retain the full list of track desired for use at an event. One could even retain Playlist from previous events for replaying at a future date, which may be useful.

Also, Brian's suggestion would save you some of the time. The Recent Playing Now's are saved pretty often, although mostly on stopping and maybe starting playback, or when Playing Now is replaced. But also time-based I think. They do get automatically deleted after a while though, so I wouldn't completely rely on them.

1. That isn't MC doing that. I suspect that you are using System Volume, and that your mouse driver is set to change volume in Windows, which changes the System Volume, and hence the MC volume. Use Internal Volume in MC. It is better, and Volume Protection works as described in the Wiki.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RD James

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 01:09:26 am »

Confirmation to completely replace Playing Now would be great... as would the option to undo a change like that.
I can see adding confirmation causing issues if using a remote app like JRemote however - which is where it often happens for me. I try to play music to the device but don't notice that it's set to another zone and clear that list.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 12:00:22 pm »

We talked about it and didn't like adding a confirmation to clear Playing Now.

I think since we store all the recent Playing Now playlists, that's probably enough.

We could make showing the confirmation off by default and available in Options > Audio > Advanced, but I'm not sure it's a big win.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 03:10:43 pm »

Building a playlist might be better.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 04:44:18 pm »

I think since we store all the recent Playing Now playlists, that's probably enough.

I'm not sure what triggers a Playing Now save to Recent Playing Nows.  But how about this:  If clearing Playing Now triggered a save that would pretty much guarantee it.  Does it do that already?

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 11:36:42 pm »

I think making this more accessible is probably the best solution.
Having the top-level item at the top of the zone's menu (via its tab, where the top option is currently "list style") be a "Restore previous Playing Now" menu option that displays the last 10 or so playlist changes would be great.

Building a playlist might be better.
For me, the issue is typically that I have been adding items to a Playing Now list - not a list that I want to permanently store, but one which I am using right now - and then I accidentally overwrite that list by mis-clicking or forgetting to set the zone in JRemote first.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 11:47:42 am »

I think making this more accessible is probably the best solution.
Having the top-level item at the top of the zone's menu (via its tab, where the top option is currently "list style") be a "Restore previous Playing Now" menu option that displays the last 10 or so playlist changes would be great.

That or something similar is a great idea!

Brian.

dichotomous1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 04:44:32 pm »

Thank your the RESTORE RECENT PLAYING NOW info!   It just saved my ass. 
After spending about an hour fooling around with what I want to hear today, I accidentally clicked twice on a track and wiped out my curated Playing Now. 
Now I have to go caudle my dogs since they ran and hid during my initial profanity torrent.

Cheers,
J

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 06:32:33 pm »

I'm glad it saved your ass.

Now for goodness sake, as recommended above by multiple people, start building Playlists rather than relying on not making a mistake when building a list in Playing Now. Your dogs will appreciate it.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dichotomous1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 04:19:15 am »

No doubt, playlists are the goal.
Unfortunately, creation is a big time commitment.  I've become accustomed to making my playlist for that day based on mood and newly acquired tracks.  Over the past few years slowly replacing my iTunes library with Hi-Res versions or at the very least CD quality 16bit.  It has taken a few years, and with some new online sources, I've almost found everything that to me is worth upgrading.

Thanks Again,
J
Pages: [1]   Go Up