INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPi Thumbnails  (Read 1340 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
IdPi Thumbnails
« on: March 09, 2019, 01:55:58 pm »

I rebuilt thumbnails on my IdPi this week and am still noticing an issue that's been happening on all IdPi versions I have used.

I select all music, around 100,000 songs. I rebuilt thumbnails and wait for it to finish. I then re-select all music and rebuilt thumbnails again, this time it does around 30,000. I repeat and it does around 5000. Every time I rebuild thumbnails it takes at least 3 times to get them all.

bob

• Administrator
Re: IdPi Thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 02:17:04 pm »

I rebuilt thumbnails on my IdPi this week and am still noticing an issue that's been happening on all IdPi versions I have used.

I select all music, around 100,000 songs. I rebuilt thumbnails and wait for it to finish. I then re-select all music and rebuilt thumbnails again, this time it does around 30,000. I repeat and it does around 5000. Every time I rebuild thumbnails it takes at least 3 times to get them all.
That's odd.
What is the thread priority set to in MC's thumbnail building settings?

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 05:00:17 pm »

Sorry for the late reply. It's set to low.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 03:54:40 pm »

Sorry for the late reply. It's set to low.
When it gets to the end and you do Help->System Info and look and Processing, what does it say about thumbnails?

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 09:36:04 pm »

I just added around 800 songs to my IdPi.
After import I rebuilt thumbnails. When done, System Info stated:
Thumbnails built: 99% (105061 of 105814)

I rebuilt numerous times with the same results. MC stated 802 thumbnails were rebuilt ever time but none were.
This is different to the typical 3 tries to finish that I noted before because now I am getting no thumbnails. This is the first time doing it on 24.0.78.

In another topic I was having issues with Cloudplay:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120167.msg832480.html#msg832480
I couldn't upload when image was "folder.jpg" and had to set it to "Inside File"

All the newly imported music on the Pi has image set to "Inside File". I did a Quick Find In File /  Cover Art directory and it set all images to folder.jpg. I rebuilt thumbnails to get 100 percent first try.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 08:49:16 am »

I just added around 800 songs to my IdPi.
After import I rebuilt thumbnails. When done, System Info stated:
Thumbnails built: 99% (105061 of 105814)

I rebuilt numerous times with the same results. MC stated 802 thumbnails were rebuilt ever time but none were.
This is different to the typical 3 tries to finish that I noted before because now I am getting no thumbnails. This is the first time doing it on 24.0.78.

In another topic I was having issues with Cloudplay:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120167.msg832480.html#msg832480
I couldn't upload when image was "folder.jpg" and had to set it to "Inside File"

All the newly imported music on the Pi has image set to "Inside File". I did a Quick Find In File /  Cover Art directory and it set all images to folder.jpg. I rebuilt thumbnails to get 100 percent first try.
I'm thinking this could mean that MC can't write the tag on those files for some reason.

Can you pick one of the ones that doesn't have a thumbnail, right-click on it in a file list and do Library Tools->Update Tags from Library and see if it succeeds or fails?

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 03:00:10 pm »

Can you pick one of the ones that doesn't have a thumbnail, right-click on it in a file list and do Library Tools->Update Tags from Library and see if it succeeds or fails?
Sorry I wiped the library and my hard drive before I could do this.

I have two issues going on here.
The first that I started with was the 3 tries to build cover art. I just used option 77 to reset MC and imported 130,000 audio files from my hard drive. I then built thumbnails. It took 3 tries. Each time it was finished I checked system info and it accurately stated the thumbnails. 64%, then 80% then 99%. I believe MC does the same thing on windows, just to a lesser degree. Maybe there's 700 thumbnails missed, not 40 percent.

Issue 2 was related to my previous post about repeatedly rebuilding thumbnails.
This didn't stick after a restart.
Before I did option 77 as noted above I cleared thumbnails and all music from my library. I then re-imported and rebuilt thumbnails. Only 1 percent of thumbnails were built and MC basically didn't work. It couldn't display art or play music for more than a couple seconds. So it seems like the Pi doesn't like it when you import 130,000 files then a month later wipe the drive and copy a new 130,000 files, then a month later repeat. Is it running out of space on the 16GB card or are there too many temp files building up?

For now I have everything working well.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 03:30:51 pm »

Sorry I wiped the library and my hard drive before I could do this.

I have two issues going on here.
The first that I started with was the 3 tries to build cover art. I just used option 77 to reset MC and imported 130,000 audio files from my hard drive. I then built thumbnails. It took 3 tries. Each time it was finished I checked system info and it accurately stated the thumbnails. 64%, then 80% then 99%. I believe MC does the same thing on windows, just to a lesser degree. Maybe there's 700 thumbnails missed, not 40 percent.

Issue 2 was related to my previous post about repeatedly rebuilding thumbnails.This didn't stick after a restart.
Before I did option 77 as noted above I cleared thumbnails and all music from my library. I then re-imported and rebuilt thumbnails. Only 1 percent of thumbnails were built and MC basically didn't work. It couldn't display art or play music for more than a couple seconds. So it seems like the Pi doesn't like it when you import 130,000 files then a month later wipe the drive and copy a new 130,000 files, then a month later repeat. Is it running out of space on the 16GB card or are there too many temp files building up?

For now I have everything working well.
The card is segmented into 2 partitions, a OS partition with MC and an export partition for small scale media storage.
It is possible that you are running out of space since your library is so large. The thumbs, library and backups might be filling it.

If you have a recent card and you're up to date (function 12 from the main menu) you will have a system status monitor available via right-clicking on the desktop and choosing it from the popup menu.

This will tell you all you need to know about disk and memory usage.

If it is getting full you might try changing the save location of the library backups into the export partition, it will have to be in the media folder to be writable.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 01:38:41 pm »

Thanks Bob.

My library backups aren't very large, less than 100MB. Regardless, I just moved them off the SD card.

Currently the resource monitor shows:
CPU = Varies
Ram = Varies
Swap = 0%
/ = 44%
/export = 41%

I have used the monitor before but wasn't sure what "/" was. So I assume "/" and "/export" are the two partitions. I believe one of them was at 100% when I was having issues. I will keep a closer eye on them next time I re-copy my entire music library over to my Pi.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 12:10:21 pm »

Thanks Bob.

My library backups aren't very large, less than 100MB. Regardless, I just moved them off the SD card.

Currently the resource monitor shows:
CPU = Varies
Ram = Varies
Swap = 0%
/ = 44%
/export = 41%

I have used the monitor before but wasn't sure what "/" was. So I assume "/" and "/export" are the two partitions. I believe one of them was at 100% when I was having issues. I will keep a closer eye on them next time I re-copy my entire music library over to my Pi.
Yes,
/ is the root partition where the OS and MC are installed
/export is the local media partition
Pages: [1]   Go Up