INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do not begin Text Search automatically?  (Read 1073 times)

mkolmar

• Recent member
Do not begin Text Search automatically?
« on: March 12, 2019, 06:33:13 pm »

MC24, Windows 10. Library is on the system volume, on SSD. Media files are on NAS. Based on the number of files in the library, it is not suprising that searches take about as long as they do, It can seem slow, but that is not my main issue.

It would be helpful to have the option not to start a search until the user submits the terms, pressing return or button click.

Common situation is that I start to type search terms, plain keywords most often, sometimes [Artist] or [Album]. I may have mistyped, press backspace a number of times, or double click. By this time, MC has started to search on part of the terms, and does not respond to more input. Windows 10 mouse pointer becomes the spinning, blue circle. Screen often goes light, with the prompt from Windows about whether to wait for MC or end. It is not difficult to terminate MC this way, without Windows having prompted. Workaround is to stop and wait, or use the Wizard.

biblio

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Do not begin Text Search automatically?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 06:41:37 pm »

even a slight delay would be good. I tend to copy and paste in to avoid this.

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:40:18 am »

I don't know if adding a short delay before searching is the solution, but yeah, it's pretty bad for me these days too.
You'd think that since the database is stored on the SSD, search results would not be affected, but they're always really slow and unresponsive for me now.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:49:09 am »

If you're finding the search too slow, you could send me a library backup (matt at jriver).

We've spent quite a bit of time trying to make search fast, but it's always possible we could find another way.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mkolmar

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 05:51:49 pm »

Considering a full-text search on various tags, the amount of time to get results is reasonable. The problem comes in when the app starts an expensive search that the user knows is half-typed, where the ongoing user input itself can crash the application. My sense is that MC is more the victim of Windows when it terminates in this situation. Still I think it would be good defense, and often faster, to be able to click a search button or press enter before the search begins.

MusicBringer

• Galactic Citizen
  • MC32.0.87 x64bit
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 06:38:55 am »

Common situation is that I start to type search terms, plain keywords most often, sometimes [Artist] or [Album]. I may have mistyped, press backspace a number of times, or double click. By this time, MC has started to search on part of the terms, and does not respond to more input. Windows 10 mouse pointer becomes the spinning, blue circle. Screen often goes light, with the prompt from Windows about whether to wait for MC or end. It is not difficult to terminate MC this way, without Windows having prompted. Workaround is to stop and wait, or use the Wizard.

I have the very same problem. It is most tiresome.

"and does not respond to more input" - even when the exact name of an album is keyed.

...and I hate using that Wizard thingy as a workaround.

I know Matt has done some very good work in this area, as always, yet this tiny Search box is a Big Pain.
Caesar adsum jam forte. Brutus aderat. Caesar sic in omnibus. Brutus sic inat.

Spike1000

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 07:07:33 am »

I have the very same problem. It is most tiresome.

Matt,

Are the search box issues suitable test criteria for JRiver to consistently reproduce the 'blurry screen of wait' to debug the issues?

Spike
Pages: [1]   Go Up