INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I set up DLNA for Sony TV?  (Read 5558 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
How do I set up DLNA for Sony TV?
« on: March 20, 2019, 09:19:14 am »

I trying to setup my new (2018) Sony Bravia TV to use the DLNA feature to watch my Movies and TV Shows. If I can get this working it would be preferable to using a client computer at each TV as I do now.

I've gone through the Wiki page on this, but it is not providing the info I need. I checked the boxes to turn on the DLNA Server, Renderer, and Controller. Under DLNA Servers, I added "Sony TV" (from the built-in selections).

On the Sony TV there is a listing of Apps and there is an app called "Video". So when I open this and select the Sony TV, I can see the Movies and Shows on the Sony TV but the movies only show in alphabetical order (I prefer sorting by Rating) and the TV shows are sorted by "Series name" but then all seasons-episodes are listed together in alphabetical order - so I can't tell what epsiode I left off at.

Also, it takes about 10-15 seconds for anything to be displayed on the Sony once the app is opened. Maybe that is to be expected as the Sony loads my entire movie/shows catelog. BTW the TV is hardwired to the MC Server computer.

1) Is there a way to have the TV Shows listed by Series>Season>Episode?
2) what setting do I use for the encoder (convert format when necessary)? MPEG2-AutoFPS is preselected/default. Should I be using the "MPEG2/DVD" choice as stated in the Wiki example?
3) Should I be using a different app rather than the built in Sony Video app (maybe an JRiver android app, Panel, etc.)?

Unfortunately, none of the info in the Wiki section is answerign my questions (there is something there about setting up a Sony Bravia) but it appears to be old information. I dont understand Step 4 and 5. And did not do this (there is no Playing Now option on the Sony) - and I am getting Movies on the Sony, so I assume the TV apps/features have been upgraded since the Wiki section was written. The Sony uses the Android OP system.

Any help is appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How do I setup DNLA for Sony TV?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 09:25:03 am »

When you're using the TV's software to connect, it's that software that decides how to display the media.  Nothing in MC can affect it.

You may not need to choose any encoding.  It should be automatic.

You could also try the stock Generic server in MC's settings, instead of Sony TV.  It may be fine.

Sony's instructions may also be useful.

You could try using MC and "pushing" to the Sony TV as a Renderer, but not all devices support both methods.  If it works, you could connect to MC with any remote to control playback.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 09:27:41 am »

1)
The DLNA views are configured in a similar way as any MC views. You can change them in the Configure DLNA Dialog by hitting "Customize Views..".
For a Series view like that, you would create a "TV Show" view and add Series and Season in the "Show Categories in this  Order" box

If you configured a view for Theater View or JRemote before, it works jsut the same way, and similar also to how Standard View is setup.

2)
The format you select here is mostly about quality (and conversion speed). DVD is pretty low quality for 2019, so I would suggest at least MPEG2-TS 720p AutoFPS, or maybe even 1080p, or if your server is a bit more beefy to transcode to H264, even H264-TS 720p/1080p AutoFPS

3)
Unfortunately, we don't have any "TV" apps as such, so whatever app handles DLNA on the TV is probably what you should use.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 09:36:08 am »

I did setup custom views in the MC DNLA panel, but the built-in Sony "video player app" doesn't use it. Or I'm still missing somethoing in the setup.

I'll try a few differnet encoder settings (the H264). The MPEG2-AutoFPS does work (at least with the two movies I tested with).

Maybe I can find a Sony TV forum and get some more info on how to set this up. The settings and app features on the Bravia TV are almost as full featured (complicated) as the MC program. I'm sure I can get this setup better once i figure out how everything works.

Thanks

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:59:03 am »

As JimH mentioned earlier ... when you use DLNA to access JRiver library from TV software ... JRiver has no control on how content will be presented to you ... its TV software that decide that (on my LG C6 its plain ugly)

if you want TheatreView on TV ... need client PC on each TV as you have now (as i have it too)

Alternatevely ... you can use JRemote on iPad to browse your library (that view JRiver can control) ... then cast movie/audio to your TV from JRemote ... not a bad solution too (not sure how it handles HDR and 3D stuff though .. never tried)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

w_axlrose1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 01:55:47 pm »

Try the following to get the Sony TV to display Series/Episode numbers. You should then find that it will sort the episodes automatically...

Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or Configure DLNA server

Add this line under Title Expression:

ifelse(isequal([media sub type], TV Show), S[Season]:E[Episode] - [Name])

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 02:51:03 pm »

Thank you for that tip. I saw the line for "Title Expression" but I didn't know what it was for. I'll try that when I get home tonight.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: How do I set up DLNA for Sony TV?
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 08:25:06 pm »

Steps 4 and 5 refer to actions that you would take on your MC Server PC. They assume that your Sony TV shows up under Playing Now as a Dynamic Zone, and in the case of step 4, that you have more than one DLNA server defined in MC, so there is actually a choice of server. Otherwise, if there is only one DLNA Server defined in MC, that becomes the default and is automatically assigned to the Sony TV Dynamic Zone.

Step 5 is one way to "Push" media to the TV, which is only possible if your Sony TV appears under Playing Now as a Dynamic Zone. The same is true for other methods that can be used to Push media to the TV, such as using a MC installation just to Play to the Dynamic Zone, building a playlist and playing to the Zone, or using a remote as a DLNA Controller to send media from your MC Server to the Sony DLNA Renderer, using using server selection and "play to" Zones.

Does your Sony TV appear under Playing Now as a Dynamic Zone?

I ask because I cannot get my Sony TV to show up. I think it used to in the past, certainly, an older Samsung TV did, but I think I deleted the Sony TV Zone from my MC installations, and now there is no way to add it back. MC certainly sees the Sony TV, as it is appears under "Services & Plug-ins > Media Network" with just "Device discovery server (SSDP)" selected as the Server to monitor in the drop-down list at the top. MC reports both "M-SEARCH" and "NOTIFY" packet from the Sony TV IP Address, directed to what I assume is a broadcast IP Address, 239.255.255.250:1900. Other applications do see the Sony TV as an available DLNA Renderer, and I am able to Puch media to the TV that way. BubbleUPnP works for example. But not MC or MC for Android (I think - testing is problematic on Android).

Anyway, if your Sony TV does not appear under Playing Now as a Dynamic Zone, then you need to use the Sony Video App to "Pull" media from your MC Server, and hence the DLNA Views need to be set up if you want to see a structured view in the Sony Video App... if it accepts and uses those views. It may not. I haven't tested with my Sony TV as I stopped playing with DLNA when I hit the problem with the TV not being visible in MC. But I can Pull media to the Sony TV from my MC Servers using the Video and Audio Apps on the TV, using the default drill down views those Apps provide.

Note my Sony TV is a 2016 model, equivalent to the American Sony XBR-65X930D I believe, which would most likely be running the same Android version as your TV.
Note also that the Sony TV Apps aren't very fast, with significant lag in moving around the menus. Your TV may have a better, faster processor though. But I would be surprised if it matched a PC response.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Ekpen

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 10:20:17 pm »

I have no problem with Sony xbr 850C, and the 930D ,
Any Sony powered on, will show up under the tree, and can access a Windows and Ubuntu server.
If you are still having problem, please PM, I will send you my set up under configure DLNA.
I have currently a bit of difficulty in getting to my windows server downstairs, but I will definetly try to get to the server.

Thanks.
George.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 05:27:56 am »

Step 5 is one way to "Push" media to the TV, which is only possible if your Sony TV appears under Playing Now as a Dynamic Zone. The same is true for other methods that can be used to Push media to the TV, such as using a MC installation just to Play to the Dynamic Zone, building a playlist and playing to the Zone, or using a remote as a DLNA Controller to send media from your MC Server to the Sony DLNA Renderer, using using server selection and "play to" Zones.

Does your Sony TV appear under Playing Now as a Dynamic Zone?

Yes is shows under Play Now.
I have not tried anything under the right click menu. So I should link to a Zone ("Player")?  What should I see on the Sony TV?

swiv3d

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 05:47:02 am »

In your screen capture you will see Associate with DLNA Server towards the bottom of the list - click that and choose the generic server.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 07:23:42 am »

I followed RoderickGI's insturctions and dragged a video in the Play Now window, and it plays directly on the Sony. All the normal control functions work (Play, Pause, FF, Audio track selection, etc.) but I have no way to view the Library or add a new video from the Sony. I have to go the other side of the house and drag a new/next video into Play Now.

At least with the built in Sony "Vidoe" App I can see my movie catelog and play anything in my catelog.

@swiv3d, I'll try that when I get home tonight. You're saying I should use "Generic DLNA" over the "Sony TV/BD" choice - or is this a different step/thing?
Currenty I am usign the "Sony TV/BD" DLNA that is frm the MC drop down list for "Add DNLA device"

I can add a few screen shots (of MC and Sony screens) if that will help you understand what I'm seeing, so you can better help me.

However, the Sony Video app is doign a pretty good job (it dispalys my Movies choices), but it does a poor job on TV Shows because it doesnt display by Series>Season>Episode, which makes it very hard to find the next episode in the series you are watching.

Of course, I can always just stick to using the using the computer and MC program. I don't have to use DLNA. It's just that it would be more convienent to use, if I can can get it to work better.
If only there was a way to edit the Sony Video App to sort and disply my TV Shows better...

@Ekpen, Thanks for the offer to help George. I'll may PM you if all else fails. Before I bother you personnaly I want to be sure that I spent enough of my own time on this.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 07:25:41 am »

Try using Panel or another remote.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 12:32:13 pm »

I have been reseaeching this from the "Sony" side of the problem (looking for a way to modify the Sony Video app or replace it), and it looks like I should be able to install the "Plex" app on the TV. I think that will allow me full access to my Movie and TV library and give me the sorting ability I want on the TV Show side.
I need to be at the TV to see if it will let me install this App. I'll report back on this tonight.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 12:34:54 pm »

Did you try using a remote to control the playback?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 02:14:20 pm »

Did you try using a remote to control the playback?

Not yet Jim.
Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 07:30:23 pm »

Yes is shows under Play Now.

Thanks for confirming that CB. I need to get that working in my environment again. As I can't see my Sony TV as a Zone, I can't associate it with a specific DLNA Server, and I need to do that to get the best out of the TV.

I have not tried anything under the right click menu. So I should link to a Zone ("Player")?  What should I see on the Sony TV?

You should be associating the Sony TV Zone with the "Sony TV/BD" DLNA Server. That way you can tweak the audio, video, and if required image settings in the "Sony TV/BD" DLNA Server to maximise the quality of each media type on the TV. Using a separate DLNA Server for the TV is a good idea if you have other DLNA devices, perhaps audio only devices, that you use at other times. Each DLNA Renderer device is going to have different capabilities, so they potentially need different server settings.

Note that if you only have one DLNA Server defined in MC, then it will be automatically assigned to the TV. You only get to make a choice if two or more DLNA Servers are defined in MC.

Using a remote of some sort, such as BubbleUPnP on a phone, is a great choice for pulling media from a MC Server and pushing it to the Sony TV. The media doesn't actually go through the phone in that scenario. The phone just acts as a DLNA Controller, telling the systems what to play and where to play it. JRemote should be able to do that (I guess) and would probably work better than a generic DLNA Controller App.
EDIT: I forgot to mention MO 4Media, which works great as a remote control. Unfortunately, it only shows DLNA Renderers that MC sees, so doesn't show my TV either, except as a Chromecast target. But it would work well for you.

Using the TV Apps, such as the Sony Video App, on the TV pretty much sucks, but you should be able to create DLNA Views in MC that the App uses. I haven't played with that because of the issue above.

Using a PLEX App on the TV could be a whole new learning curve, and may still not give good views on your media collection. But it seems lots of people do it, so worth a look at least. PLEX may be a bit more responsive than the default Sony Apps as well.

Let us know how you go.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up