INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assigning more than one genre to the same track or album  (Read 1578 times)

Araj

• World Citizen
Assigning more than one genre to the same track or album
« on: March 23, 2019, 07:25:50 am »

Is there a way to assign more than one genre to the same track?

I would like these tracks to be played when I choose genre X, but also if I choose genre Y.

For example. I have a "Chill" genre and a "World" genre and I would like to include some of the "World" tracks when I create a "Chill" playlist or whenever else I select the "Chill" genre.

I tried using a comma in the genre tag (World, Chill), but that just creates a new genre called "World, Chill".

swiv3d

Re: Assigning more than one genre to the same track or album
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 07:36:12 am »

Use a semi-colon ; to seperate the different genres and they can be searched for separately for example Classical; Chinese will give me the 2 genres as separate entities. Hope this helps.

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 08:52:48 am »

Yes! That works perfectly, thanks!  :)

JBassett

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 02:29:40 am »

Is it possible to define a character other than semi-colon as the separator?

I am also assuming that the same technique can be used for the artist tag a well as genre.

Thanks

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 05:03:58 am »

The Artist field supports lists: "Chet Atkins; Mark Knopfler" is two list items
Album Artist is singular: "Chet Atkins; Mark Knopfler" is a single item.

So yes. I played with multiple fields a while ago. ';' and '\\' seem to be accepted separators. I think MC displays '\\' as ';' so I think you may struggle with compatibility if you deviate away from ';' or '\\'; or it simply may not work as a list separator.

Spike

JBassett

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 05:21:52 am »

Is there a typo in the first two lines above or is the point being made that the Album Artist tag can never have multiple separated values?

Looking at the ID3v2.3 spec suggests that multiple values are separated by "/", does JR tagging not adhere to that spec?

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 06:46:50 am »

There's no typo.

The "Artist" field supports lists: "Chet Atkins; Mark Knopfler" is two list items
"Album Artist" is singular: "Chet Atkins; Mark Knopfler" is a single item.

Is that more clear?

I might have my slashes the wrong way around :)
But my point is still valid I believe. MC will display a ';' if the separator is a slash.
You need to check what happens when tags get written. .  I seem to remember finding that slashes got saved as ';' along the way somewhere between MP3Tag and MC and back again. A few minutes experimentation and a tag dump will confirm. I think I just changed everything to ';' and then didn't need to think about it again as that just works fine for me.

Spike

maky100

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 07:20:35 am »

if you use \\ also the great "mp3tag" translates it as two items. I think this would be the best way. I have it in use for different comments, artists, genres etc. and for all it works fine in JRiver
Pages: [1]   Go Up