INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IR Man remote  (Read 2413 times)

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
IR Man remote
« on: May 16, 2003, 06:16:17 am »

I just upgrade from version 8 to version 9.  Now I see that there is no IR Man plug in.  Does anyone have any info on this will the version 8 one work?

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: IR Man remote
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 08:01:37 am »

I should add that I need the remote capability because the computer is connected to keypads through out the house.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 08:17:23 am »

Most people think Girder is the best solution for this purpose. You can do a search on this forum to find lots of information on setup.
In any case, you should be able to use any of the remote control plugins from version 8 with MC 9.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 08:24:12 am »

I tried to download the one from version 8, it said that it installed properly but the is no reference to it in the plug ins page.  I really need it to work because I own the IR man hardware.  But I hear you, how different could it really be from version 8?  Any other ideas?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 10:27:49 am »

Version 8 plugins (generally) work okay with MC9, but the install process is hosed because the registry entries changed. Unless the plugin in question has been updated to install its registry info in the new place, you'll never see it within MC.

That being said, Girder is a more total solution, if you are willing to spend a little time getting the basics down.

Best,
Brad

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 10:52:11 am »

Are you saying that it will work but that I won't see it.  If so that's fine.  As long as it works.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 12:44:16 pm »

I think I'm saying that the code of the plugin should work in MC9 if you can get MC9 to recognize that the plugin is installed. You can do that by manually messing around in the registry (writing your own keys in the correct places) or by waiting until the plugin installation procedure gets updated for the new version.

Of course, it might just work anyway, so give it a try and let us know what you find out!

Brad

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 03:51:03 pm »

I looked at the rigistry and it doesn't seem that hard to work with.  However, what kind of keys would it be looking for to recognize the IR Man plug in.  I have tried to reload version 8 but it won't let me.   Something about a database that won't work with this version.

I also tried this program called UIce, it seems to work well with with play and stop but not much else.  Girder is a nightmare to figure out.  I got nowhere fast trying to work with that program.  IR Man wa easy and worked fine.  I'l love to get it woorking again.

Thanks for your help.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2003, 02:59:59 am »

Have a look at Brad's Girder GML, it's really easy to work with. And you will need to activate the IRMan plugin in Girder, plus the send message plugin. That should be it. I can't really see any problems with this since the commands are already done, you only need to program the remote codes into them. That should be easy enough. Girder is no problem really, as long as you don't want to go into the more advanced configurations and setups.  8)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2003, 06:40:14 am »

Where Can I find Brad's Girder GML and the other stuff?  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2003, 07:20:43 am »

Try a search here.

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2003, 02:31:10 pm »

I see the ccf file in the folder etras/girder how do I setup my IR Man so that it can be controlled by girder?  I know how t load the ccf file into a pronto, so that opart is easy.

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2003, 06:17:13 pm »

OK actually I see it now.  I have tested all the commands with the test function in Girder and they work great.  What seems to be missing that I liked in the old program was a command for Next playlist or Previous playlist.  Then I just need to figure out how to make the IR Man talk to the Girder program.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2003, 08:05:10 pm »

Glad to hear you're making progress!

You should just need to enable the IRMan plugin in the Girder program. You can then choose which commands you want to use via IR and teach the various IR signals to those commands.

Good luck!
Brad

BTW: There are not currently Media Center Core commands for Next/Previous playlists. In fact, I don't think there are keyboard shortcuts for those commands. They seem to have not survived the transition from MJ8 to MC9....

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2003, 03:35:49 am »

Thats, not good news about the playlist shortcuts.  We were using the play, stop, next track, previous track, next playlist and previous playlist commands.  Any idea on how to allow someone to hear different "styles" of music from a remote location with one IR command?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2003, 06:33:35 am »

Thats, not good news about the playlist shortcuts.  We were using the play, stop, next track, previous track, next playlist and previous playlist commands.  Any idea on how to allow someone to hear different "styles" of music from a remote location with one IR command?

I can think of 2 ways to do it. Neither use 1 IR command & both are pretty kludgy:

1) Use 3 IR commands. Create a "multi-group/multi-command" in Girder. This is a command that will do several things based on one trigger (IR command). The multi-group would a) Jump to "Playlists",  b) delay "x" milliseconds, then c) issue a series of "Down" arrow keys (with delays) until it got to your "Styles" playlist group. It would then d) have to expand the group. Your second IR comand would then be a "Down" arrow and your 3rd IR command would be an "Up" arrow to navigate the tree.

2) Setup various mjextman.exe commands in Girder for your styles and use the /Play modifier to show where they are in the Tree. Each style would be a discrete IR code. The syntax for the command would be something like:

mjextman.exe /Play [filename] plays specified file. Filename parameter can point to a specific file or URL as well as to a location in Media Jukebox organization tree. Any item in the tree, except for CD & DVD and Handhelds can be accessed by replacing filename parameter with following command, TREEPATH=location of an item on the tree (e.g. TREEPATH=Playlists\Top Hits). To play items under the CD & DVD and Handhelds item use DEVICE=drive letter (e.g. DEVICE=G:)

Hope this gives you some ideas,
Brad

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2003, 10:24:19 am »

Brad, here's the thing that is still confusing me.  If I'm in Girder and use the "test command" feature then I can get your girder file to do the command (for example - play) Also if I'm in Girder I can do learn a command and the IR Man learns the IR code.  Therefore I know that the IR Man and Girder see each other.  But, when I put your ccf file into a Pronto and then hit the play command (or any command) Media Jukebox does not respond to the IR Commands.   Any ideas?

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2003, 10:29:59 am »

If you send me an email, I'll send you an IRman plugin that is compatible with Media Center 9.

- John T.
JRiver, Inc.
johnt @ jriver.com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2003, 11:49:34 am »

Kudo's to John for this plug in solution.  This has solved all my problems.  Not only does the remote work witht he codes I have used on others systems, but the "next playlist" command works as well.  Thanks to Brad, Mastiff and Jim H as well for their help.

I still con't figure out why the Girder thing is so impossible to get working?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2003, 10:25:35 pm »

Brad, here's the thing that is still confusing me.  If I'm in Girder and use the "test command" feature then I can get your girder file to do the command (for example - play) Also if I'm in Girder I can do learn a command and the IR Man learns the IR code.  Therefore I know that the IR Man and Girder see each other.  But, when I put your ccf file into a Pronto and then hit the play command (or any command) Media Jukebox does not respond to the IR Commands.   Any ideas?

Glad to know you're up and running with the IRMan, but the solution to your problem here is that you need to teach Girder the IR codes emitted from the Pronto. The IR codes in the CCF file are specifically generated with a special program that creates hundreds of unique IR codes. It's very handy--but I've occasionally heard of people's IR receivers not being able to understand the IR codes in the CCF.

However, I think (based on your description above) that you need to use the IR codes emitted from the CCF to "learn" in Girder.

Best,
Brad

greggd3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2003, 03:14:41 am »

Brad, your right.  I was under the impression that those codes were already learned.  I will try learning them and see what happens then.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2003, 06:23:37 am »

Brad, your right.  I was under the impression that those codes were already learned.  I will try learning them and see what happens then.

Well...actually, they are...., but only if you use an IR receiver called the USB-UIRT. One of the things about Girder is that it stores its learned IR codes as different values depending on the hardware involved. It makes developing a "universal" remote system using Girder extrememly difficult because while I have a USB-UIRT, other people have a UIRT2, or a RedRat, or an IRMan....

Good luck!
Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up