INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet Server Storage Costs  (Read 470 times)

kwm1800

• Recent member
Internet Server Storage Costs
« on: March 24, 2019, 10:02:28 am »

Amazon S3, as far as I am concerned, is quite expensive these days. I am not sure the numbers for true exterprise usage/capacity, but when I was looking for reliable offsite backup for my data, I found Amazon is highly priced compared to other solutions.

Did you guys check some alternative folks like Backblaze S2 or Wasabi? I understand these two companies do not have data centers everywhere in the world though compared to Amazon.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Internet Server Storage Costs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 10:43:54 am »

Interesting.  Thanks.  We haven't price shopped in many years.  S3 prices have been very reasonable and the overall cost hasn't been high enough to warrant a change.

kwm1800

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 09:20:45 am »

Interesting.  Thanks.  We haven't price shopped in many years.  S3 prices have been very reasonable and the overall cost hasn't been high enough to warrant a change.

Thank you for the reply.

I think it is worth to investigate. As more people use it, the price will creep up rather fast.

Wasabi is a relatively new company, but Backblaze has been around quite a while (I think they started around 2005-ish). The disadvantage is that they have far less servers on non-US regions than Amazon does, but that's their secret of low price (in contrast, Google cloud is the most expensive becasue they pretty much have servers everywhere except China).

I believe Backblaze does have a datacenter in Europe if you need one in the location.

Unfortunately the biggest data transfer I did with Backblaze is mere 5tb-ish so I can't tell about their performance for bigger enterprises like you guys. I have no experience with Wasabi but their supposed advantage is that they use same system as Amazon does for better compatibility with S3-related services.

kwm1800

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 03:19:16 pm »

Actually it is Wasabi who has a Euro datacenter, not Backblaze. I was confused.

However it seems there was AMA on Reddit and Backblaze said they will be opening their own datacenter at Europe later this year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up