INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Communication with the server failed. Would you like to switch libraries?  (Read 1107 times)

Bernhard

• Recent member

First I have to explain my setup: MC is installed on a HTPC and I control it with my notebook remotely connected to the main library on the HTPC.

Whenever my MacBook goes to sleep-mode and MC25 is still running, I get this message on the notebook, which I do not remember I ever got in the past. I of course have to abort with NO, because the connection is up, as soon as the computer is unlocked.

How to deactivate that message?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I assume that your HTPC is the MacBook then?

This is a new feature. What is happening is that when the MC Server goes to sleep with a connected MC Client, and the user does something in the Client, the Client will try to wake the Server using WOL commands. If it fails, or takes too long, you get that message. Prior to this feature a sleeping Server while connected to a Client required a restart of the Client to wake the Server. It would be fair to say that this isn't a polished feature.

Reading for you:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,119661.msg827571.html#msg827571
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,118288.msg821813.html#msg821813
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Bernhard

• Recent member

No, the HTPC is always up and running. Music is playing, and other devices (like iPad) always have access to it.
Just the "controller", the MacBook goes to sleep mode. When I login again, I see that message.

To me it does not really make sense - of course the connection brakes, when Wifi stops during sleep mode.
Same behavior as on the iPad, there I get no message.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Oh, so you have a Windows PC running as a HTPC, which is running MCServer, plus a notebook running Windows and MC for Windows, plus a MacBook running MC for MAC? Your first post wasn't clear. You still aren't being clear. Yes, I realise that your "notebook" is probably the MacBook. You used the terms interchangeably.

You can't deactivate that message if conditions are met to cause it.

Did you read the threads I posted? That is all I know.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Bernhard

• Recent member

Sorry Sir for confusion:
HTPC = Windows = MC server and always on
MacBook = notebook = MC controller for HTPC
no other computers

If the message is new in MC25 and wanted, then I wonder why iPad app does not show it? We have identical behavior there, whenever we lock it. The engineers shoud add it to the iPad app too.
Which of course is nonsense ;)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Well, the iPad is running a different Operating System, iOS, and a different application, I assume JRemote? So it isn't surprising that it hasn't been added.

This new message and the changes beneath it are still a bit experimental I think, and have only been added to MC so far. Maybe that will change in the future. But I suspect that there will be some changes to how it works, and if so, the message may hardly ever appear. We shall have to wait and see.

HaWi

Hi, this is my first post so I
I am unable to access MC via LTE. I can set up a server connection on the LAN but not via Internet/LTE. This is what I get:

Finding computer addresses associated with access key 'correct access key'
Response received

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Response Status="OK">
<keyid>EUeRkv</keyid>
<ip>correct IP address</ip>
<port>52199</port>
<localiplist>correct local IP addresses (Ethernet and WiFi)</localiplist>
<macaddresslist>Correct MAC addresses</macaddresslist>
</Response>

Found 3 addresses

Connecting to IP: correct local IP address Port: 52199
Timed out
Connecting to IP: correct local IP address Port: 52199
Timed out
Connecting to IP: Correct WAN IP address: 52199
Timed out

What do I need to do?
Many thanks!
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 2699
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.36 64 bit): 1430
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Your router needs to be set to forward communication on port 52199 to the MC Server on your LAN. MC, JRemote, or similar will try to connect to your Public IP Address, which is the internet address of your router. From there the network traffic needs to be sent to the IP Address of the Mac running MC Server. Your Mac needs to be switched on and running for this to work without more setup.  Search for discussion on "Port Forwarding".

If you allow your MC Server to sleep when not in use, then your router also needs to be capable of sending Broadcast Wake On LAN packets. Many won't do this, for security reasons mostly. Search for discussion on "Wake On LAN", "Wake On WAN", WOL over the internet" and similar.

HaWi

Thanks for your quick reply!
My router/cable modem has port forwarding set for 52199 (TCP&UDP). MC Server is running and I am still not able to connect. I have a NAS which I can access remotely without problems. I'll try to reset my cable modem, maybe that helps...
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 3764
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 | JRMark (32.0.38 64 bit): 9235
JRemote 3.43

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

A firewall can also block access.

This may help:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access

HaWi

Just got it to work. For some reason my gateway assigned a different IP address to the port from what it was supposed to be (i.e. my  iMacs IP). So I reset the iMac IP to the one where the port is effectively being forwarded to and now it works. It was all a problem with how ComCast regulate what you can do with router/modem settings. Thanks for your help!
JRemote 3.43
Pages: [1]   Go Up