INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Playback from Disc to HDMI Connected Smart TV  (Read 1194 times)

Duffin

• Recent member
Video Playback from Disc to HDMI Connected Smart TV
« on: April 08, 2019, 01:42:13 pm »

Hi everyone,
I seem unable to work out how to play a Video file stored on the IDs local disc (or attached disc or NAS) to a Samsung Smart TV.
Latest Generation ID most recent update completed, is connected per HDMI to an Onkyo Multichannel Receiver.
Samsung TV is connected to the Primary Output of the Onkyo receiver.
Stereo and Multichannel Audio Output from the ID over HDMI to the onkyo amp and then to multichannel loudspeaker setup is perfect, so basic audio connectivity is fine.
All three devices are on the GB LAN per ethernet cable, all have IPs from DHCP, all are pingable and reachable, all have internet connectivity, so network is also fine.

I dont want to see the JRiver programm interface on the TV, I am using JRemote for managing everything, all I want to see is the video Output: the film itself, in the same quality as is stored on the ID / attached/ NAS disc.

I am pretty sure I am not understanding something elementary, and feel a fool for asking..... but I cannot make this work.

Can someone please help a dumb dinosaur sort this out?
Thanks in advance
Mike

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video Playback from Disc to HDMI Connected Smart TV
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 02:51:43 pm »

Did you figure this out?
How old is your Samsung?
Older models could only play from remote sources by using the TV remote.

Duffin

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 03:48:33 pm »

No did not work out yet.... still suffering. Samsung is purchased 2017 May new.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 03:55:18 pm »

No did not work out yet.... still suffering. Samsung is purchased 2017 May new.
My Samsung from 2018 has a setting in its menu that allows it to be a renderer which will then show up as a zone in MC.
After you get that I'd suggest turning off video conversions in MC's DLNA server since the Samsung I have seems to be able to play anything.

Duffin

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 08:22:15 am »

Hi bob, I had not thought of that but already I am afraid that will not fully solve the issue. I have an Onkyo TX-NR696 receiver between the Id and the Samsung, and I don't just want the HD picture but also the HD sound. So I am now looking to see if I can make the Onkyo DLNA Server render received content from the Id which, if it can handle multichannel audio, might possibly do the job. I'll try the next couple of days. Mike

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 09:05:42 am »

Still though, the HDMI video should pass through the Onkyo to the HDMI input on the TV.
I assume this is your IdNUC?
Are you booting into GUI mode with the Onkyo and TV on?
There is a pretty complex HDMI handshake that goes on when you pass video through an amp...

Duffin

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 09:59:09 am »

Only solution so far to the handshake problem is: id nuc boot with all hdmi connected devices powered “off”. Otherwise multichannel music files play only to stereo (because the handshake tells the idnuc the samsung has two speakers). Somehow the samsung speakers override the onkyo settings, so the id is convinced only two speakers exist ....... took me weeks to finally work that one out. 😂

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Duffin

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 10:06:07 am »

I will try that again. When i was trying to solve the handshake thing some months ago i ended up disabling it on suspicion, and have not experimented since...... thnx for the idea👍
Pages: [1]   Go Up