INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Add Channel # in Manage Channels and remove unneeded channels  (Read 10988 times)

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi all.
I've read through the manage channel guide, but I can't figure out what I need to do.
My tuner has found lots of channels, and I've set up EPG Collector to get EPG data, but in the manage channels section there is no channel number next to the channel name.
Is there any way of getting data from somewhere to automatically match up the channel against say the UK freeview channel numbers, or even the sky channel numbers?

Is this something I need to do through EPG Collector? if so, is there a guide on how I can set channel numbers there?

Lastly, I'd like to remove duplicated channels, I'm assuming this is what autogroup is for, but when selecting it, I've ordered it for dvb-s to be at the top, but it doesn't appear to group anything?
I realise I could manually group it, but I was hoping there was a way of automatically grouping with me just manually verifying it was all ok?

My aim is so that the Guide only shows channels that have a channel number (which will hopefully have EPG data for them).

Thanks in advance!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Add Channel # in Manage Channels and remove unneeded channels
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 09:55:10 am »

1. Channel Number:

There is a checkbox before scanning starts, "Include channel number in channel name".  Make sure you check the box before proceeding.

However, judging by the fact the Channel Number column is not filled, the UK Channel Number is not available during scan.  The service provider must broadcast the descriptors that contain such data in order for MC to pick them up.

Unfortunately there is no good way of fixing this except manually changing them.

2. Removing duplicates:

Channel Grouping is for grouping different types of channels (such as DVB-S vs DVB-T) that carry identical programming.  Automatic grouping can happen only under some strict conditions - such as identical channel name.  If automatic grouping did not work, the only way is to manually group selected channels.

Your screenshot only shows dvb-s channels.  If you want to remove duplicate channels that are all DVB-S channels, you can select the redundant channels and choose "Hide".
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 10:10:46 am »

What would the tag have to read in the XMLTV file for JRiver to pick it up as a channel? I'm wondering if I can post-process something for after EPG Collector has run, if I can compare channels to a freeview list etc and manually add it in to the XML.

So removing the duplicate channels would need to be a manual thing in JRiver? Absolutely fine - just wanted to make sure there wasn't a feature/function I was missing.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 12:02:12 pm »

Normally XMLTV files are used for EPG updating only.  They are used for setting up channels only in case of CableCARD channels (in USA) or STB channels .  Once a set of channels are already setup using transport stream scanning, we can no longer change them except manual editing.

This is the first time I learned that DVB-S channel scanning did not produce "UK Channel number" data.

Here is a part of an xmltv file, related to a channel:

<channel id="I6.28457452.microsoft.com">
      <display-name>6 WGBO</display-name>
      <display-name>6</display-name>
      <display-name>WGBO</display-name>
      <display-name>WGBO Univision 66</display-name>
      <display-name>UNI</display-name>
   </channel>

As I said above, currently we are not using all of the data in the file.

So removing the duplicate channels would need to be a manual thing in JRiver? Absolutely fine - just wanted to make sure there wasn't a feature/function I was missing.

Yes, if by "removing duplicate channels" you mean removing duplicates found in the same channel type (for example DVB-S).  Usually we advice people to use "Hide" instead of out-right deleting the unwanted channels because you may end up re-do scanning in the future and those channels will be picked up again.  Tagging them as "Hidden" means you keep them but MC will ignore them and will not display them in normal GUI.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 12:59:45 pm »

1. Channel Number:

There is a checkbox before scanning starts, "Include channel number in channel name".  Make sure you check the box before proceeding.

However, judging by the fact the Channel Number column is not filled, the UK Channel Number is not available during scan.  The service provider must broadcast the descriptors that contain such data in order for MC to pick them up.

Unfortunately there is no good way of fixing this except manually changing them.

There is a section in EPG Collector that allows the xml file to include an LCN tag which has the user defined channel (which on the scan I do, is equivalent to sky channels), i.e. BBC One London = 101 (XMLTV Identifier is 6301).

Could you not add a button, maybe "Map Channels" that allows you to select an EPG Guide and then scan for either XMLTV Identifier, or Service ID, and map them against the LCN Tag in the XML where <Channel ID> matches XMLTVid?

Or I'm assuming this info is kept in JRiver in a mysql/sqlite type database? Are we able to get access to the database so I can run a script to update it myself?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 07:28:05 pm »

There is a setting or settings in EPG Collector for this. Something like set the User Channel to LCN or similar. I haven't looked at my EPG Collector setup in ages, so don't remember the details.

I'll have a look and see if I can work out what I did.

There ain't no MySQL or SQLite in MC! It wouldn't be a good idea to directly edit the database either.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 09:37:52 pm »

Well, I was sort of right, and it seems like you have already found what I am doing.

Note that I am using EPG Collector with DVB-T channels and collecting from the OTA EIT data.

The first image shows the definition of "Channel No.", which is also known as "User Channel Number". I think the column was automatically populated with the XMLTV ID by an EPG Collector scan. I'm not entirely sure, as I may have entered the values. See the first image, with the important column highlighted by the red arrow.

Then on the Output tab, set the "Format of channel ID" to "User Channel number", and tick the "Create an LCN tag containing User channel number". See arrows, second image.

As I use the XMLTV ID as my User Channel Number, MC matches up most channels no problem, whenever I do a new channel scan in MC, or in both EPGC and MC. The only exceptions are when there are duplicate channels, one HD the other SD, and only one EPG data stream. Or when there is no EPG data for a channel.

The resulting XMLTV file, "TVGuide.xml" header information looks like this:
  <channel id="1">
    <display-name>10 BOLD</display-name>
    <lcn>1</lcn>
  </channel>
  <channel id="2">
    <display-name>ABC</display-name>
    <lcn>2</lcn>
  </channel>
  <channel id="3">
    <display-name>SBS ONE</display-name>
    <lcn>3</lcn>
  </channel>
  <channel id="7">
    <display-name>7 Melbourne</display-name>
    <lcn>7</lcn>
  </channel>
  <channel id="9">
    <display-name>Channel 9 Melbourne</display-name>
    <lcn>9</lcn>
  </channel>
  <channel id="10">
    <display-name>10</display-name>
    <lcn>10</lcn>
  </channel>

You will see that the "Channel id" (XMLTV ID) matches the LCN in each case, which is the User Channel number in EPGC.

The matching happens in MC at the end of a manual EPG setup, from memory. It mostly gets it right, and allows you to change or add any mapping required.

Then "Options > Television > Manage Channels" allows you to see and change the mapping from Channel # to XMLTV ID as well.

That has worked for me for a long time. I haven't made many changes expect when channels have changed, and when the broadcast EPG data was downgraded.

I'm not sure all the above added much to what you already know. Also, my channel situation, except for the many, many changes we had a while back, is much simpler than yours. Particularly if you want to keep using the standard of, for example, BBC One London = Channel 101 (XMLTV Identifier is 6301), where your channel number is different to the XMLTV ID.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 12:56:41 am »

Hi RoderickGI,
Thanks for your message. As you mentioned, I've already done this, the only difference is I didn't have user channel number in the output of EPG Collector - although I did have it set to that in the past.

Unfortunately, even with the matching set up.. it just puts the channel number in XMLTV ID column under JRiver, it doesn't populate the Channel # column, which is what I am trying to achieve.
I've done some of the manual grouping and hiding channels, but I was hoping I could avoid having to type the channel number in to each entry?

Is there a button/feature I'm being really daft and overlooking that will copy the channel number from XMLTVID to Channel #?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 01:58:10 am »

It has been a long time since I ran the TV setup on my HTPC, and even longer since I ran it on a new clean Library.

But I know I didn't manually set the [Channel #] field in MC. It would have been populated from a channel scan, because as Yaobing says, MC doesn't use the EPG to set up channels. Once it has the LCN, it can match channels up to the LCN, and pick up a different XMLTV ID if required, in the XMLTV data.

I have a vague memory of having to select using the scanned channel number, which is just the LCN, during a scan. It must be mentioned in the TV setup Wiki articles or threads somewhere. I did document my EPGC setup to some degree way back...

Maybe Yaobing can provide a quick answer.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 02:42:10 am »

It has been a long time since I ran the TV setup on my HTPC, and even longer since I ran it on a new clean Library.

But I know I didn't manually set the [Channel #] field in MC. It would have been populated from a channel scan, because as Yaobing says, MC doesn't use the EPG to set up channels. Once it has the LCN, it can match channels up to the LCN, and pick up a different XMLTV ID if required, in the XMLTV data.

I have a vague memory of having to select using the scanned channel number, which is just the LCN, during a scan. It must be mentioned in the TV setup Wiki articles or threads somewhere. I did document my EPGC setup to some degree way back...

Maybe Yaobing can provide a quick answer.

I think it's because the load program guide/scan has changed over the revisions.

From the wiki it shows

and

And if you look in there it appears to have populated the channel number from the scan.

I've included a screengrab from my "load program guide", but when it moves to the manage channels, it hasn't populated the list.

That is why I was asking if there was a button that could be pressed that would populate the channel number from the XMLTVID box (if using channel number in EPG Collector output), or a way (if using XMLTVID in output) of parsing the channel numbers against an XMLTV file to match the xmltvid in the channel list with the file, and populating the channel # with the details in the LCN tag.

I realise this is only a small issue in the grand scheme of things.. but for new users to JRiver, or as in my case, people who are just starting to use it for the TV capability, it would definitely make things easier (and quicker) in our setup.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 03:30:15 am »

For the difference shown in the images you posted, I think the checkbox Yaobing mentioned earlier is the answer. The missing part appears to be, as you say, populating the Channel # field.

If you had that checkbox ticked, and still no numbers showed, something is missing from the OTA scan. As the channel # can, and usually is, different to the XMLTVID (despite my example), then it wouldn't be normal to copy the number over. Hence, no button to do so.

However, I can't imagine that the required data is actually supposed to be missing from the OTA scan. Maybe search the forum for users from your area (UK, right?), and what they have done. There are quite a few of them. Maybe your source has mucked up their broadcasts!

Another avenue would be looking at what the EPGC scan itself finds. IF EPGC fills in its Channel No. column, and the numbers are LCNs, then the data is in the scan. Based on your earlier image of the XMLTV xml file created, EPGC does have the LCNs, unless you keyed in the numbers.

You could also try something like DVBLink (you can still get the free version, although it is EOL) to see if it finds the channel numbers in its scan. MC basically does the same thing.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 03:11:07 am »

Hiya,
I can confirm that I have the button ticked about including channel number, but nothing is being populated from my OTA scan.
Depending on the option selected, I can get EPG Collector to output the channel number as either SID (as shown on here https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=no&aff=list - i.e. BBC One HD is 6961), or it can set the channel number to the same number as the LCN.
EPG Collector is setting the LCN from an OTA scan (I'm not populating anything in there), so it shows that it must be broadcasting the channel numbers, unless EPG collector is doing some sort of lookup and adding in the LCN numbers, but I'd doubt they would be doing that.

It seems that during the scan JRiver isn't picking them up. Is it possible to get a small EXE that contains the section of JRiver which does the scanning and can output data to a text file so it can be debugged? or is there any way of getting JRiver to natively output the scan data in to a text file?

I'm not so worried about having to set them manually.. I'm just trying to help get to the bottom of why JRiver isn't doing this, so it can be fixed, to help others moving forward :-)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 07:44:48 am »

You can turn on logging in MC.  Please read this wiki on logging.

1. Go to Help > Logging, and turn it on.

2. Run TV channel scanning and wait for it to finish.

3. Go back to Help > Logging to collect the log file.

4. Post it here if the file is not too large.  If it is large, email it to me.  I am yaobing _at_ jriver _dot_ _com_

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 09:49:03 am »

Log file was 18mb.
Have zipped it up and included in here.

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 10:33:52 am »

I am UK based, and can confirm that OTA scans work as expected for me. Channel numbers are populated and match the UK Freeview channel numbers.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 10:48:30 am »

Hi Fangio,
Are you using DVB-T or DVB-S?

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 02:50:32 pm »

Hi,
I am using Freeview DVB-T/DVB-T2. Sorry, I should have read the thread properly before butting in!

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 03:44:59 pm »

Not at all - I appreciate the feedback... I'm thinking more and more that it may be something to do with the fact I'm on DVB-S

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 09:57:38 pm »

Not at all - I appreciate the feedback... I'm thinking more and more that it may be something to do with the fact I'm on DVB-S

It appears that ASTRA does not send channel info descriptors in NIT.  Maybe it does in another place, such as Bouquet Association Table, which we currently do not parse.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 01:00:58 am »

It appears that ASTRA does not send channel info descriptors in NIT.  Maybe it does in another place, such as Bouquet Association Table, which we currently do not parse.

Is it worth me raising a ticket on the EPG Collector forum to ask them? As I say, doing a scan with their software, unless they parse against a 3rd party list, they must get channel info OTA, as they populate the LCN tag with the channel number.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 09:14:12 am »

Unfortunately, Channel Info descriptor is not specified in DVB specification.  The descriptor in NIT is a "privately defined" one.  I would guess that if some network decide to deliver the info in another place it will be a private descriptor too.  I would like to find out normally where such info is delivered in DVB-S networks.  My guess is they are in Bouquet Association Table.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 09:51:04 am »

Unfortunately, Channel Info descriptor is not specified in DVB specification.  The descriptor in NIT is a "privately defined" one.  I would guess that if some network decide to deliver the info in another place it will be a private descriptor too.  I would like to find out normally where such info is delivered in DVB-S networks.  My guess is they are in Bouquet Association Table.

I had a question to ask in the EPG Collector forum, so I also bolted that question on to the bottom.. but looking at the logs (sadly not the actual output) of it's processing, it did mention the Bouquet Association Table, so there is a very good chance you are right, but hopefully Steve will come back and confirm.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 09:52:07 pm »

I added some exploratory code so I can see how Bouquet Association Table is structured and where the logical channel numbers might be.

Please help me do some testing.

Install the latest MC25 (build 25.0.27) first, then download and copy the DLL "JRTelevision.dll" (linked below) into MC25 installation folder.

32-bit JRTelevision DLL for testing

Turn on logging and run channel scanning.  Then collect the log files.  Since this is only for discovery, the logical channel numbers will not be added to scanned channels after the scan, but I hope traces of them might be found in the log files.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 06:18:35 am »

Sorry, have been away - just running a new channel scan now and will post the log file up shortly.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 07:53:17 am »

New Log

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2019, 08:05:32 am »

Taking from https://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos=28.2E&standard=All&ordre=freq&filtre=Clear&aff=list - BBC ONE London is in TSID 2045
So I am assuming that the channel number was broadcast as Sky or Freeview  (Either 101 or 1), it would be somewhere in here?

Code: [Select]
0815485: 7160: TV: TransportStream::OutputDebugInfo: TSID 2045, ONID 2. Length of all descriptors 289
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo: Start
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         Desc Tag: 0x5f
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         Desc Length: 4
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x00 0x00 0x00 0x02
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo: Finish (0 ms)
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         Desc Tag: 0xb1
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         Desc Length: 74
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x00 0x20 0x18 0x9d 0x01 0x07 0xd2 0x03
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0xba 0x3b 0xaf 0x18 0x9e 0x01 0x07 0xd6
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x03 0xc9 0x3c 0x9f 0x18 0xac 0x01 0x07
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0xe2 0x00 0x74 0x07 0x4f 0x18 0xae 0x01
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x07 0xe3 0x02 0x66 0x26 0x6f 0x18 0xc5
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x01 0x08 0x67 0x03 0xc6 0x3c 0x6f 0x18
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0xcf 0x01 0x08 0x19 0x03 0xc2 0x3c 0x2f
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x18 0xd9 0x01 0x08 0x1a 0x03 0xc8 0x3c
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x8f 0x18 0xf6 0x01 0x08 0x03 0x03 0xd5
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x3d 0x5f
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x00 0x21 0x18 0x9d 0x01 0x07 0xd2 0x03
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0xba 0x3b 0xaf 0x18 0x9e 0x01 0x07 0xd6
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x03 0xc9 0x3c 0x9f 0x18 0xac 0x01 0x07
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0xe2 0x00 0x74 0x07 0x4f 0x18 0xae 0x01
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x07 0xe3 0x02 0x66 0x26 0x6f 0x18 0xc5
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x01 0x08 0x67 0x03 0xc6 0x3c 0x6f 0x18
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0xcf 0x01 0x08 0x19 0x03 0xc2 0x3c 0x2f
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x18 0xd9 0x01 0x08 0x1a 0x03 0xc8 0x3c
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x8f 0x18 0xf6 0x01 0x08 0x03 0x03 0xd5
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x00 0x22 0x18 0x9d 0x01 0x07 0xd2 0x03
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x00 0x66 0x06 0x6f 0x18 0xac 0x01 0x07
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x18 0xd9 0x01 0x08 0x1a 0x00 0x65 0x06
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x5f 0x18 0xf6 0x01 0x08 0x03 0x03 0xd5
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         Desc Length: 38
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x00 0x32 0x18 0xb1 0x01 0x04 0x23 0x03
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0xba 0x3b 0xaf 0x18 0xb2 0x01 0x04 0x24
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x03 0xc9 0x3c 0x9f 0x18 0xc0 0x01 0x04
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x44 0x00 0x8f 0x08 0xff 0x18 0xc2 0x01
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0x04 0x45 0x02 0x66 0x26 0x6f
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         Desc Length: 11
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0xff 0xff 0x18 0xf7 0x01 0x08 0x04 0xff
0815485: 7160: TV: CDescriptor::OutputDebugInfo:         0xff 0xff 0xf1
0815485: 7160: TV: CMPEG2SectionsAndTablesParser::ParseSection: Finish (0 ms)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2019, 02:30:02 pm »

Unfortunately descriptor tag 0xb1 is a “user defined” tag. I do not know how to interpret it. Thus I don’t know if they carry logical channel number, and if they do, how to extract the data. I can not find in the log any other “user defined” tags that are known to carry logical channel number.  So we are kind of stuck here

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 04:02:23 pm »

Would it help if I ran something like dvbsnoop whilst watching specific channels and put the log in here?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 04:14:12 pm »

I don't know if it will help, but it would not hurt.  I took a look at their website that you linked, and looked around their sample outputs, but could not find anything related to logical channel number.  Maybe the actual scan might produce something.

Yes, go ahead with running it.  Thanks.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2019, 03:27:13 am »

So it seems that DVB Snoop doesn't work on Windows 10, which is a nuisance... just kept locking up the machine...
I had a reply on my EPG Collector thread where I asked about how they get the freeview channel numbers OTA and this was his reply.

The easy bit first. EPGC does get the channel numbers OTA from the Bouquet Association Table where FreeSat uses a custom descriptor ID 0xd3. This is not part of the EIT standard but is not unusual. Various Freeview implementations do the same thing with a descriptor ID of 0x83.

Now obviously with the log, there was 0x83's in there, but because I don't know what I'm looking at, I don't know how to interpret it - but I'm hoping that it may provide some assistance?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2019, 04:57:32 am »

So it seems that DVB Snoop doesn't work on Windows 10, which is a nuisance... just kept locking up the machine...
I had a reply on my EPG Collector thread where I asked about how they get the freeview channel numbers OTA and this was his reply.

Now obviously with the log, there was 0x83's in there, but because I don't know what I'm looking at, I don't know how to interpret it - but I'm hoping that it may provide some assistance?
Thanks for the details.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 01:03:35 am »

Additional message in case it is of any use....

FreeSat uses non-standard pids for all the tables, probably because Sky got in first and used all the standard pids.
So the BAT is on pid 0xbba (not the standard pid 0x11) and you should find a descriptor with id 0xd3 which has the lcn info.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2019, 08:09:05 am »

Additional message in case it is of any use....

FreeSat uses non-standard pids for all the tables, probably because Sky got in first and used all the standard pids.
So the BAT is on pid 0xbba (not the standard pid 0x11) and you should find a descriptor with id 0xd3 which has the lcn info.

This is interesting.  We did get pid 0x11 packages for BAT but they just do not contain useful information (like descriptor 0xd3 or 0x83).  I will try getting 0xbba packages.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2019, 01:10:30 pm »

Let me know if you want me to try a new version to log a scan

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2019, 10:08:49 pm »

Please test this DLL.

Install build 40 (latest build on MC25 board) first, then copy the DLL.  Please get a log file.

Note that this DLL likely still will not get the correct channel number for each channel.  It is more of an "exploration" build.  I am checking what the custom PID 0xbba for Bouquet Association Table will produce, and whether FreeSat channel info descriptors and / or OpenTV channel info descriptors will produce anything.

The fact that channel info descriptors in DVB-S contain data for multiple regions is new to me and I am still trying to figure out what to do with different regions.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2019, 08:03:26 am »

Would the 64 bit DLL work with a 32 bit install?
I've grabbed .40 from the forum, backed up the old dll and replaced it with the one in the dropbox link.
The issue is, when I start logging and go in to options/manage channels and select rescan - when it comes to the window "scan for new channels" and I click "perform a more thorough but slower scan", it doesn't do anything.

Usually I get the popup asking me to select a frequency, so it can then check for other NITs etc.. but that window isn't coming and it doesn't appear to be scanning anything.
I've left it 30 minutes and then cancelled it and included the log file in here.

Do I need a 32 bit DLL, or has something broken in the latest update?

EDIT: I think it must be the DLL... if I restore the original .dll with .40, I get the "choose scan mode" window pop up.

Have you got a 32 bit DLL? available?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2019, 08:11:36 am »

Can you install the 64 bit version of MC?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2019, 09:20:38 am »

I forgot you run 32-bit version.

Here is the 32-bit version DLL.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2019, 10:52:14 am »

Thanks, will give it a go now.

Just out of curiosity, is there any benefit of running the x64 over the x86 version?

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2019, 11:05:38 am »

It started scanning... last I saw it was scanning 4/75 and next it had crashed/closed
Have included log.txt and crash.dmp in this zip

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2019, 11:20:11 am »

It did the same again, but this time deleted log.txt and just left crash.dmp. Gets up to 5/75

I'm going to try different permutations (not selecting slower scan, and then both using original .40 dll)
Will post results

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2019, 11:35:41 am »

Second time round, scanning without selecting "perform a more thorough but slower scan" worked, but it's almost like it only scanned 1 frequency (I'd chosen to scan NIT) as it took a minute or so, instead of over half hour as normal.

In the same log, I am rescanning, not selecting slower scan, but using Legacy mode instead of scanning NIT. It's now scanning 150 channels
It got up to about 12/150 and crashed again...
Crash.dmp enclosed

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2019, 11:47:03 am »

Tried a new scan, using original .dll.. selected slower scan but it only appeared to scan one frequency again and finished.
Have added this log file, perhaps an error with the new DLL that's causing it to crash?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2019, 10:50:48 am »

Sorry, a new bug had escaped detection.

Please try this new 32-bit DLL.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2019, 04:17:35 pm »

Stepped out the room for 2 minutes, came back in and it had crashed again.

crash.dmp and log.txt in zip file

This was with new dll doing a slower scan.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2019, 04:31:58 pm »

Tried again without selecting slower scan.
It got up to about 25/75 before crashing, but removed log.txt and just left crash.dmp

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2019, 04:52:53 pm »

Tried it again using legacy scanning instead of NIT.. it got up to about 17/150 (from last check), but this time left log.txt (over 100mb) as well as crash.dmp

I've had to email as the .zip is 2.5mb and over the 1200k limit

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2019, 05:18:19 pm »

Thanks for testing.  I will get to it on Tuesday.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2019, 05:19:51 pm »

No problem.
Am currently doing another scan... legacy search using slower scan.
It's up to 43/150 at the moment. will post logs once it finishes/crashes.

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2019, 04:13:41 am »

Crashed again doing the above.
Larger log file so will email again
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up