INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Dropping off the Network  (Read 4293 times)

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Server Dropping off the Network
« on: April 27, 2019, 10:54:21 am »

Can anybody help me?  I am running an older version of JRiver  (22) and I keep losing the server.  My Music is stored on a windows 10 PC on the second floor of my home.  It is connected to the network wireless.  My Yamaha 3060 is on the first floor plugged directly into the router.  The connections are all good, the signal strong.  I have rebooted the modem and router several times and the server keeps disappearing.  Is there someone that help me check settings or troubleshoot the issue?  If I'm not posting in the right place please let me know.
Thanks

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Server Dropping off the Network
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 11:02:36 am »

Make sure that the server PC is getting its IP address from the router via DHCP. And then make sure that the respective granted IP address is reserved for that PC.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 11:18:36 am »

Thank you.  DHCP is on.  I am not sure how to verify the second part of your response.
Thanks again.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 11:32:38 am »

Second part ... is to make sure your Server PC gets same IP address every time it request IP address from DHCP

You need to get MAC address of network interface on your PC that connects to your network (in your case thats wifi interface) ... you need to check property of your wifi to get its MAC address

Then on your router ... somewhere in DHCP there is something like “reserve IP addresses” ... it will have table for MAC address and IP address you want to reserve for it

you then add an entry to that table with MAC address of the wifi interface on your server and IP address you want to always assign to it ... that IP address must match subnet addresses of your network (if thats is confusing ... then just assign IP address that your server currently have ... this guarantees its correct cause that address was generated by DHCP)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 01:21:35 pm »

Many thanks to you both.  I will trouble shoot this weekend and let you know.  One more question - Would it be advantageous to upgrade JRiver at this point?  The only thing I am currently using it for is to stream music to my system.  I haven't been able to access photos on my computer yet with JRiver.

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 04:36:03 pm »

I am not an IT guy fellas, I'm lost in the sauce on this one....If anybody wants to do a go-to-meeting with me, I'll be willing to pay you.

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 05:22:25 pm »

So I am still trying to resolve this and I was able to log into the Arris modem that Cox provided me.  There are 3 Mac addresses.  One called WAN Mac address, One for 2.5gh and One for 5gh.  I am assuming that because I am using the network on my Netgear router I should be using the WAN Mac address from the Cox modem and proceeding with that.  Can someone verify that this is correct.  Thanks.  Again I'm really trying here as I have very little IT knowledge.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 12:03:43 am »

You need to find MAC address of your Win10 Server … on windows go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

There will be list of all network interfaces your server has … double click on the one you using to connect to network (wifi in your case) … click button Details … note the value of Physical Address … that's your server MAC address (also note IP4 address … its IP address given to your Server by DHCP … we gonna assign that permanently to your Server … since picking alternative address is not feasible with your knowledge)

Forget modem given to you by Cox (that only connects to internet) … I assume Arris is connected by cable to your Netgear? … I will further assume that Netgear is doing your house wifi … then its likely Netgear is doing DHCP

Log in to your Netgear via web browser … you need to find something like "Address Reservation" setting there … I don't have Netgear so no idea where it is, but it should be somewhere … it will have table for MAC address and IP address you want to reserve for it

you then add an entry to that table with MAC address and IP4 address you noted earlier … now Netgear will always give your server same IP address
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 10:17:22 am »

Thank you.  I have enclosed a screenshot.  I think this is the window you are speaking of.  Yes Arris modem is connected to the netgear router.  The question I have now is   There are several IPv4 addresses listed.  Which one do I take note of?  IPv4 address or IPv4 DHCP server?

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 11:13:22 am »

I think I found the area in the router where you make those changes

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 06:52:17 pm »

I think I found the area in the router where you make those changes

Nope. Don't change any of those. They are the IP Address of your Router, and other details that get you connected to the network.

In your Router interface, look under the "LAN" or "Local Area NetworK" item. Then look for an area headed "Static Leases" or "IP Address Reservation", "DHCP Reservation" or similar.

Better yet, post the exact model number of your Netgear Router.

Also, it looks like the IP Address you are looking for in 192.168.1.6, with the MAC Address of C8-FF-28-CE-9E-EB, based on the image you posted above.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 07:33:35 pm »

Man, I really appreciate it.  My router is the Netgear R6250.  I just want to get back to listening to my music.  I know most people probably look at these posts and think I'm a moron, but I'm just not real computer savvy.... I'm willing to learn but starting to wondering if JRiver is even for me at this point....

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 07:48:28 pm »

I found it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 08:01:59 pm »

EDIT: So did I! Read below anyway.  ;)

Unfortunately, with all the modern security issues, Windows 10 updates often not working properly or breaking things, and networking just getting more complex, we all need to learn enough to be able to fix stuff these days. You'll manage.

I downloaded the manual for your router from here; https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r6250.aspx#docs as it looks like you are in America. (I'm in Australia.)

What you need is on Page 36 of that manual, and is called "Address Reservation". The instructions there are pretty good. There is some explanation on Page 35 that is worth a read.

I recommend you do follow the advice to use the  "Attached Devices" screen (Page 26) to view your connected devices, including the Windows 10 PC on wireless, and copy the MAC Address from there, to avoid any possible errors typing. You will also be able to confirm the IP Address that the Windows 10 MC PC is using now. It is easiest to use the same IP Address in the reservation.

Do make sure you reboot the Windows 10 PC after making the above change. It wouldn't hurt to completely power down your Yamaha 3060 as well, and then restart it.

This may not fix your original issue with the Windows 10 MC Server dropping off the network, but it is a good start. If the problem persists it could be there is some form of interference, even just a warm, wet human body walking up stairs between the router and the PC can cause issues if the signal is a bit dodgy. But you say the signal is strong, so we shall see.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 08:38:20 pm »

Yes, I am in the states.  Arizona.  Anyway this is very strange.  When I hit Net button on the Yamaha to get to my server.  I don't see the network, then after a minute or so it will appear and music start playing.  Then it will disappear again. Damn frustrating.  I went into configure LAN, funny thing is, the MAC address I copied from my network settings is already there...…………..go figure..
thanks Roderick. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 12:36:17 am »

Man, I really appreciate it.  My router is the Netgear R6250.  I just want to get back to listening to my music.  I know most people probably look at these posts and think I'm a moron, but I'm just not real computer savvy.... I'm willing to learn but starting to wondering if JRiver is even for me at this point....
You're not a moron.  That kind of problem (occasional) is the hardest to find.

If it's wireless, you could try a different channel.  Things like microwaves or neighboring networks can sometimes cause problems.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 05:30:05 am »

If it's wireless, you could try a different channel.  Things like microwaves or neighboring networks can sometimes cause problems.
To change channel for wifi … log in to your Netgear via web browser … go to wifi property … somewhere there should be a setting for channel … you can choose channel 1 2 3 4 5 etc

most likely it will be on auto channel selection … but you can try different channels … basically if your neighbor is using same (or near) wifi channel as you, there would be lots of interference for you and your neighbor

So basically Jim is suggesting you find free channel that nobody around uses … its a try and error thing (unless you have channel scanner to see who is using what)  … change channels - see if its better or worse … keep changing until find good performance

Keep in mind that walls/floors (especially concrete and bricks) … degrade wifi signal … so if there are lots of wall/floor between your Netgear and server … that could also be problem

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 12:38:47 pm »

Thanks for the support guys.  the wireless connected PC is on the second floor, but I've been doing speed test all weekend and I am routinely getting between 110mbps and 150mbps  download speed and about 25 to 30 mbps upload, pinging a number of different servers.  My receiver is connected to the router with an ethernet cable.  I am unplugging everything now.  Modem, router, computer, receiver.  I am going to completely reset the router to see if this helps.
thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up