INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chapter list while watching concert video  (Read 2347 times)

Peter M

• Recent member
Chapter list while watching concert video
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:57:47 pm »

I realise that this has been discussed before - hopefully the mods will tolerate another go at it.

This is the last thread I was able to find - https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104922.0

Like the OP in that thread I'd love to be able to pull up a list of chapters overlayed on the still playing video, select a chapter and jump to it.  All done using a third party control app on an iPad.

Or ... the same functionality built into JRemote would also be brilliant.

Is there any desire for this - or is it just me !

Cheers,
Peter

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Chapter list while watching concert video
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 03:03:12 pm »

After some time away from HTPC, I just found it too boring...
Spent the last year playing with :
1. my oppo 205 (custom firmware = ISO support), => clearly brilliant quality but the GUI kind of "sucks"

the china android player connection (which for 2 was spending money down the gutter) :

1. the dvdfab movie server (since one year nothing works with the firmware..just starting to produce some results now but it is doomed to fail in my opinion)
2. the egreat A11 which runs an firmware based on the same sh..ty firmware dvdfab uses => also full of bugs and very erratic development
3. the zidoo X20 which is what i used most lately...it's a cool android player with a solid firmware and an active development. Also the GUI is cool it supports iso playback and full menu support and RS-232 automation

BUT HECK I want to replay a bit with an HTPC so I just restarted building one and of course I'll run my beloved JRiver again....

so it's fun to see that after some time somebody else comes with this chapter displaying request as this was one of the last details JRiver never did for me. Maybe this time around some dev goes for the poor souls who run JRiver mostly in Theater/Diplayview.

I'm really having fun restarting my I don't know how "manyest" HTPC project

Peter M

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 03:36:02 am »

That's some journey you've been on !

Prior to JRiver I was using a PopcornHour A-400 which was generally OK, but I'm very happy to have changed as JRiver is clearly superior.

If only they could give us the Chapter display and then it would be perfect !!

Cheers,

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 10:01:57 pm »

That would be nice. Currently you can do it with a right click in display view, but having it on an OSD type font would be so much better

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 05:40:58 am »

Doesn't the OSD have a section for chapters? I suppose its not quite a proper list...
Maybe something to keep in mind when I start planning out the re-design of the OSD.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Peter M

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 05:05:29 am »

Hi Hendrik,

Yes the OSD does have a section for Chapters.  It's 4 or 5 down arrows to get there, and then left / right arrows to move between the Chapters.  One of the issues I have with this is that as you move through the Chapters, the playback immediately starts for each Chapter you pass over.

Ideally it would be great to have a command that throws up a list of Chapters, which can be navigated through and then only when the desired Chapter is selected, the playback jumps to that Chapter.

Cheers,
Peter

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 05:52:52 am »

My long-term plan is to get rid of the "pages" in the OSD entirely, and just have one primary one which has most of the information on it, and a few easily reachable buttons to bring up audio streams, subtitles, and I suppose chapters. In that it could be a proper list.

Not sure we'll want to re-work the existing OSD chapter list until these plans come to fruition. But its not really further along then a concept idea at this point.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Peter M

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 06:26:05 am »

As you can see from my post count I'm a noob with MC, but one of the things that attracted me to it was the active forum and involvement from developers. 

It would be completely unrealistic to expect immediate changes to be made after these sorts of requests, but It's great to know that people are listening.

A bit more background - I use MC to play ripped content in a dedicated theatre room.  Control is done with Demopad running on an iPad.  The MC control page has a link to JRemote for browsing and launching playback, and I then go back to the MC page which uses Core Commands for play / pause / ff / rev / skip etc as well as up / down / left / right / enter / back etc.  This page also controls the AV processor for volume / surround mode / channel levels etc.  So the projector is only ever showing MC in Theater View.

Using Core Commands for displaying, browsing and selecting Chapters would be the perfect solution for my application.

Cheers,
Peter

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 04:55:10 pm »

Can only agree on that one.

A full list in pop up window would be great. As stated in my post (link Peter M shared above..).the list already exists but it's to small if using display view and/or theater view mainly.
Peter M's idea would also be of help already now if in the regular actual OSD when browsing right-left once the OSD shows the chapters it would only play a new chapter after a "enter" press. 

Peter M

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 02:57:52 am »

So I've just finished implementing a temporary fix that allows me to see a full chapter list in my Demopad control system.  It's very much BFI (brute force and ignorance!) but works quite well.  Here's how I did it -

1.  Look for chapter list on-line (most ended up coming from Discogs).
2.  Copy and paste into Word.
3.  Open the MKV in mkvtoolnix and compare total number of chapters to the above list.
4.  If the same - all good - type all the chapter names into mkvtoolnix.
5.  If not the same - play the MKV and jump around through the chapters and update the above list - type all the chapter names into mkvtoolnix.

So now when I play the MKV and use the OSD to move around the chapters I can see the names.  But of course this doesn't really help me locate a certain chapter.

6.  Save the Word document to pdf.
7.  Save the pdf as png.

8.  Add a new "Tracks" page into the Demopad system.
9.  Add a button to the "JRiver" page to jump to the "Tracks" page.
10.  On the "Tracks" page there are 26 buttons for A - Z.
11.  Each of these buttons brings up a list of all the appropriate artists and concerts - each on a separate button.  This is all typed into Demopad.
12.  Push a button for a concert and Demopad loads the chapter list png file in a Web viewer window.
13.  Whilst still on the "Tracks" page and looking at the chapter list, use the up/down/left/right arrow buttons under the list to navigate the MC OSD.

14.  Have a celebratory beer because it all works !

15.  Repeat steps 1 to 7 for the remaining 115 concert discs !!!

Cheers,
Peter M

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 06:30:50 am »

Thanks for bringing this up again, Peter.

Can you describe what you want and on what platform in very basic terms and then propose a specific solution?

I wonder if it might be a Spotlight thing.

Peter M

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 07:08:47 am »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I wasn't planning to raise this again anytime soon, but then I saw the "Unfinished Work" thread and thought what the hell !  I've been separated from my theatre and JRiver since the end of 2020 due to work and Covid restrictions which really sucks.

Considering how far removed I am from 'power user' status there may well be a way to do what I want that I'm not aware of, so apologies in advance if recent upgrades have made it doable.

First up my setup - JRiver running on an Intel NUC feeding a Marantz processor via HDMI with video going to a projector.  Control is via JRemote on an iPad along with a separate control system using various MCC commands.  Theatre view used exclusively to navigate and watch content. 

Ideal solution -

Whilst watching content issue an MCC command that pops up a full chapter list.  Use Up / Down arrows to navigate the list and Enter to jump to the selected chapter.

Cheers,
Peter

Pages: [1]   Go Up