INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes Finally Gives In To JRiver!  (Read 1557 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
iTunes Finally Gives In To JRiver!
« on: June 04, 2019, 10:27:09 am »

Well it looks like it's official.

iTunes is going away after 18 years.

We're feeling kind of smug because we're still going strong.  We watched Winamp (the player that started it all for me) pass away as well.

Rest in peace iTunes, and keep kicking tail JRiver!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
Re: iTunes Finally Gives In To JRiver!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 10:56:19 am »

Good riddance!

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 11:57:01 am »

What really separated Apple from others was the integrated iTunes Store. The ability to download music easily and legally was a major advance. Remember Napster?  But now their streaming services are on the rise, while the sale of music is definitely on the decline. The real story here is that Apple is emphasizing their streaming services over ownership. The new music and TV apps support user owned music, but are geared towards streaming.

Manfred

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:36:57 pm »

iTunes->iRiver  ;D ;D ;D

I have also Qobuz as streaming service but I am really happy to have JRiver because I have many ripped CD's which are not available through Qobuz (e.g. Telarc CD's)
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 01:27:50 pm »

Hi

iTunes is crap.
I tried it on PC and Mac.
Awfull to use and the worst is the nasty store. I hate it.

Audio quality is not good, can do only stereo, cannot even read flac, cannot convert any to any, cannot do R128 and and..

I am glad, itunesdied, itunes rest in peace, amen!

Peter

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 10:05:39 pm »

Well it looks like it's official.

iTunes is going away after 18 years.

We're feeling kind of smug because we're still going strong.  We watched Winamp (the player that started it all for me) pass away as well.

Rest in peace iTunes, and keep kicking tail JRiver!

I've still got a copy of iTunes running on a dedicated old Windows laptop to support the two iPods I use in my car.  My car is 15 years old and the iPods connect into the car's audio system via a connector in the glove box.  So I am pretty much locked into using the two old iPods that I purchased in 2005.  The newer iPods do not work with the car.  I've got a special playlist in MC that I use to export tunes to iTunes for those iPods.

I had been on the iTunes/AppleTV bandwagon for a few years, but I started to notice the slow lock-in that I was experiencing.  For example, in AppleTV, I would search for a song I knew I had in my music accumulation.  AppleTV would always show the search results as finding the song in Apple's Music store.  It did not find the song in my library. 

That was the last straw.

I was able to tolerate the lack of FLAC support.  I was able to tolerate the mediocre database behind iTunes.

But when AppleTV would try to get me to buy a song I knew I already owned, well, them's fighting words.

I switched to MC, and everything's been sunshine and rainbows ever since.

The world has passed by iTunes.

R.I.P iTunes.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

MikeO

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 04:00:41 am »

Jubilation is premature ...

Correct me if I’m wrong Didn’t I see somewhere that iTunes for Windows will stay as it is and plague us ?

The official Apple blurb referred to the new version of the Apple operating system , Catalan or something

I still have to use it get books onto my iPad and music for that matter. I use MC for my iPod

I guessApple regards Windows users as a lower form of life 🤠
Ugh ...

MikeO

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 04:04:31 am »

Hi antenna

Did you know you can sync the older iPods via MC , it’s the iOS devices you can’t, I do it all the time

Have a look in the Wiki

Mines a Classic 160 and an older 80 both sync fine

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 08:41:37 pm »

I switched over from iTunes to MC quite a few years ago because I wanted more metadata tags to play with. I was constantly tricking iTunes into doing what I wanted by appropriating the meager tags they supported for other functions. But that only goes so far, so the promise of unlimited tags in MC was too much to pass up. But, had I known then about the depth of MC I would have migrated years earlier. Having unlimited library fields to work with is still important but far lower on the list of my favorite features. There are so many exceptional functions and customizeable options in MC. I'm still unpeeling layers of functionality that blow my mind, many years later. For anyone who is interested in curating their own digital music library, it's the best software available. RIP iTunes, and good riddance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 06:46:39 am »

Thank you for taking the time to say that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up