INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble adding network share to library  (Read 1068 times)

snafu

• Recent member
Trouble adding network share to library
« on: June 25, 2019, 11:06:37 am »

First off, let me say that I'm by no means an expert on the Raspberry Pi. I just installed jriver media center 25 on it.
I've successfully mounted a network share that has my music (in my case: home/pi/music/test ). I can access the files from the command line and from the desktop on the pi. I also set the file permissions to everyone (chmod 777) for the entire directory.

In JMC, I go through the process to edit the main library to add the mount point (home/pi/music/test) via "Auto-import". It seems to go okay. I select ADD, and then Browse. I select the Test folder. But nothing happens after I click Finish. No files are imported. If I go through the steps again, the mount point I previously added are gone from the library list.

What am I doing wrong?
Sometimes I do get an error when selecting the folder about being unable to access it. I feel like this could still be a permissions issue. Who should the owner permissions be set for?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Trouble adding network share to library
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 12:18:47 pm »

The owner permissions should usually be set to whomever is starting the MC process.

If that's you (and your user is pi), then make sure that your permissions are recursively set using chmod and chown:

Code: [Select]
sudo chown -R pi:pi ~/music/
sudo chmod -R 775 ~/music/

You may also have mounting permission errors depending on the filesystem and your specified mount options in /etc/fstab. Sometimes you need to umask permissions depending on the filesystem or allow non-root users to mount the filesystem using the "users" flag.

snafu

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 12:56:11 pm »

I've spent an hour trying various ways to alter the permissions.
Why is it that I can easily access (Read, Write eXecute) all of the mounted files from the Rasbian OS just fine. Either from the desktop file explorer or the command line. But MC insists it can't access those very same folders. Does the MC service use another account?
FYI: I'm logged as root.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 01:48:22 pm »

I've spent an hour trying various ways to alter the permissions.
Why is it that I can easily access (Read, Write eXecute) all of the mounted files from the Rasbian OS just fine. Either from the desktop file explorer or the command line. But MC insists it can't access those very same folders. Does the MC service use another account?
FYI: I'm logged as root.

First of all, logging in as root is not a good idea. My guess is that the files have the default $HOME permissions assigned to the pi user. Therefore you have superuser access to the filesystem, but perhaps not via applications that expect to be run unprivileged (like MC). It's also possible you are launching the pi user's instance of MC but no longer have rw ability on its settings directory. If you've been playing around with permissions as the root user, anything is possible really.

It's hard to diagnose without more information such as your mount and permission settings. Could you provide some more info like your mount command, ls -al output on your home directory and music folder, ps aux of your running MC process, preferably not logged in as the root user?

snafu

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 04:47:16 pm »

Yup - as you suggested, turns out it was the $Home permissions messing things up. I mounted the share to a new folder off the root and it worked!

Thanks for your help  ;D

snafu

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 10:03:16 am »

Well, just to close off this thread - the reason I installed MC on the pi is because I had read an anecdotal statement that the pi was able to play DSD files via MC.
I can report, that in my case it does not play DSD files successfully. It plays 2-3 seconds, then pauses 2-3 seconds, plays 2-3 seconds, etc.
Yes, I did perform the steps listed in the installation instructions to improve performance for MC on the pi. It didn't help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 10:15:52 am »

Well, just to close off this thread - the reason I installed MC on the pi is because I had read an anecdotal statement that the pi was able to play DSD files via MC.
Do you remember where you learned that?  I don't think we've ever said that a Pi would play DSD.

snafu

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 12:39:50 pm »

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=115513.0
Number 9 below. I did state it was an anecdotal reference. So, what the heck - I gave it a shot  ;D

Status of Features
What I've tested that works for me:

1) Local audio playback of FLACs and MP3s (Pi 1, 2, and 3)
2) Using the Pi as a library client (Pi 1, 2, and 3)
3) Using the Pi as a DLNA renderer (Pi 1, 2, and 3)
4) Controlling the Pi with gizmo or eos (Pi 1, 2, and 3)
5) Streaming to gizmo from the Pi (works on Pi 2 and 3, not on the Pi 1)
6) Normal window resizing
7) ALSA-compatible USB DACs
8 ) Using an external hard drive with the Pi (some additional configuration required for some drives)
9) A user has reported that DSD works on the pi (as of 2017)
Pages: [1]   Go Up