INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Specs for faster albums view  (Read 439 times)

F Ribeiro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • If it isn't broken don't fix it.
Specs for faster albums view
« on: July 11, 2019, 04:44:45 pm »

Hi,

I have more than 50.000 audio files in my Synology NAS.
I have a Dell e5250 i5 5300u (16 gb RAM, Samsung SSD 860 EVO) running MC 25 on Windows 10.
I have an iPad 3 running JRemote as a remote control for Media Center 25.

For a faster album art refresh as I scroll down the albums (or artists) view on my iPad, should I consider:
  1 - a faster iPad
  2 - a faster CPU
  3 - a faster GPU

Power options on Windows 10 set to Balanced (recommended)

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
JRiver Media Center 25 PC and MAC | PC: Dell Latitude E5250 - Windows 10 Pro | MAC: Mac Mini late 2014 - Mojave | Amp: Classe CAP-2100 | CD Player: Meridian G08.2 | DAC: Naim DAC V1 | Turntable: Linn Axis, Akito tonearm, Adikt MM | Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28 | Cables: Transparent, Nordost | Server: Synology DS216 Play Raid 1 |

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Specs for faster albums view
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 05:28:37 pm »

You could test a local library (not on the NAS) to see what that does.

You could test in MC on the server (not on the iPad).

Doing that should tell you something.

It could also be bandwidth related (network).

F Ribeiro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • If it isn't broken don't fix it.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 04:46:13 am »

You could test a local library (not on the NAS) to see what that does.

You could test in MC on the server (not on the iPad).

Doing that should tell you something.

It could also be bandwidth related (network).

All my music files are in the NAS but my Cover Art are in a specified folder library, in my dedicated Dell with a fast SSD.
Because I have a lot of HD music files (PCM 96, 88.2, 176.4, 192 and DSD 64, 128), they have to be in my 12 TB NAS.
I have a Gigabit LAN (rooter, switch, NAS and Dell dedicated PC running JRiver 25).
JRiver path for cover art is:

C:\Users\ferna\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 25\Cover Art\  (C: is a Samsung 960EVO SSD)

Nevertheless, with album cover set to large in my iPad (3 albums each line), the images have a slow refresh while I scroll up and down.
If I set the cover art to a smaller dimension (5 albums each line), refresh rate is faster (almost instantaneously).
Because I like to see Album Art with a good detail in my iPad, I like to set it to large (with the two fingers enlarge movement).
That's why I ask for the better option if I want to have a fast refresh on iPad.

1 - a faster iPad
  2 - a faster CPU
  3 - a faster GPU

I hope I made myself understood, because my English is not that good.

Many thanks,

Fernando Ribeiro
JRiver Media Center 25 PC and MAC | PC: Dell Latitude E5250 - Windows 10 Pro | MAC: Mac Mini late 2014 - Mojave | Amp: Classe CAP-2100 | CD Player: Meridian G08.2 | DAC: Naim DAC V1 | Turntable: Linn Axis, Akito tonearm, Adikt MM | Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28 | Cables: Transparent, Nordost | Server: Synology DS216 Play Raid 1 |

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 04:35:42 pm »

I hope I made myself understood, because my English is not that good.

Many thanks,

Fernando Ribeiro

What kind of wireless access point do you have for your iPad? I agree with JimH, sounds like a network bottleneck more than MC or your Dell.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 08:21:26 pm »

On your Dell, in Standard View, display Albums five across and scroll.
Then display three across and scroll.

Was there a noticeable difference in refresh rate?
Try a few different thumbnail display sizes to be sure no size slows the refresh rate.

MC builds thumbnails from the original Cover Art in three sizes I believe, and stores then in its Thumbnail Databases. If the display size matches one of the sizes, MC doesn't have to do any image scaling. If display size doesn't match one of the sizes it does have to do some scaling, which would be done on the server I think, although I'm not sure. It could be done on your iPad.

I would think though that if the test above showed no difference in refresh rate, then the Dell is quite capable of scaling the thumbnail image without delays. So I would look to the WiFi connection speed for the iPad, or getting a faster iPad.

If there is a noticeable difference in the refresh rate in the test, then the Dell isn't able to scale the thumbnails fast enough. I think this is unlikely though. A developer would have to say whether scaling was done on the CPU or the GPU, although you could watch the CPU and GPU loading when doing a lot of scrolling with various display sizes on the Dell to work out which is being used.

I am assuming that your actual MC Library (not the media files, but the Library) is also on the SSD, which it would be if you are using the default Library. That would be in "C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 25\Library".

Note that the thumbnail database is also stored on your SSD at "C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 25\Thumbnails". It is possible that the thumbnail database has picked up some corruption, and hence isn't indexed properly so it is slower. Shouldn't happen, but sometimes seems to. If nothing else works you could try deleting the contents of the above thumbnail directory and rebuilding thumbnails, but that is going to take a while for 50,000 files.

I don't have JRemote, but in "MO 4Media" on my Android phone scrolling with three thumbnails across is very fast, although the thumbnail image can take a moment to display so I can easily get ahead of the refresh. This is with MO 4Media connected to the HTPC MC Server as per my forum signature. JRemote may work differently to MO 4Media though, so this isn't a definitive comparison. You could download the MO 4Media for iOS free trail version and test how fast that scrolls, as a comparison.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up