INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scrolling performance is improved but still pretty poor  (Read 2224 times)

Jons

• Recent member
Scrolling performance is improved but still pretty poor
« on: July 16, 2019, 10:36:58 am »

MC 25 (on my iMac Pro) is improved from previous releases in terms of scrolling performance, but it is still very poor.  When will this finally be addresses?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Scrolling performance is improved but still pretty poor
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 10:46:16 am »

Scrolling speed depends on whether thumbnails have been built.  You can use MC's options (Tree  & View) to build all thumbnails.  It normally happens on demand as you scroll.

Jons

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 10:08:45 am »

Thank you for this. I have a couple of questions:
  • I can not find 'tree view' in the view pull down.  Should I look somewhere else?
  • Are you suggesting that the thumbnails are not cached after scrolling or using the tree view?  In other words regardless of having scrolled through the entire list, or using tree view, I would think the images would be cached and not have to be regenerated.  Is this wrong?

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 10:31:06 am »

Tools > Options > Tree & View

There is a search window at the bottom of the options page.

Please try building all thumbnails.

Jons

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 12:16:34 pm »

Thank you, I do think that helped. I also changed the thumbnail creation threading to high from medium.  I don't know if this applies for scrolling only. I watched the number of threads for the MC 25 process during this and 34 was the maximum.  I also noticed that the application during this took no more than 25 %.  Most of the cores were basically idle.

Thanks

Jons

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 02:08:23 pm »

I just noticed that version 27 is available for test for windows.  I assume the Mac version will be along shortly.  While 26 did improve over previous versions in terms of scrolling performance, even after implementing previous recommendations, scrolling thought less than 300 albums is still, when compared to every other application I use, unreasonably slow.  Before I shell out more money for version 27, I wonder if there is any information if any work was done on this issue in the past year.  If not, that will tell me where this fits on the priority list.
Pages: [1]   Go Up