INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't want MC 23 to look at G drive  (Read 1576 times)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
Don't want MC 23 to look at G drive
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:05:33 pm »

I have long ago set C:\2. MUSIC to be the only folder that MC 23 is to look at.

However, and despite there being no references that I can find, it is also looking at C:\2 MP3 MUSIC, and also another file on G:\ drive (which is not mine and I don't want MC to have anything to do with it).

This means that MC is now listing hundreds of albums that I don't want it to.

How can I stop this from happening please? (and delete those albums).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Don't want MC 23 to look at G drive
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 06:43:33 am »

Double check your auto import settings.

Once that's right, then select the files you don't want (searching for them makes it easy) and delete them.  Read carefully.  Try a few before you do very many.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 06:56:15 am »

Definitely only C:\2. MUSIC under "Add folders you would like the program to watch"

Once that's right, then select the files you don't want (searching for them makes it easy) and delete them.
Not quite with you there Jim - select them where....in the main pane?

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 07:07:27 am »

Hmmmm, yes I can just delete them in the main pane, but there are hundreds and hundreds of the suckers, and many many of the names overlap with artists that I do want to keep (e.g. I have Alan Parsons that I want to keep, but there are several on the other drive that I want get rid of out of MC).

It would be grand if I could delete all the wma files out of MC - they won't even play apparently (I got an error when I tried one).

Given that my "watch" settings are apparently accurate, how did this happen, and how can I stop it from happening again?

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 05:51:13 pm »

It seems I have to do these one at a time, which is extremely tedious. None of these files will play because they are showing the file name as starting with C:\  but they were never put onto C drive. They have only ever been on an external drive (G).

How can it be that MC has picked up these files from G drive (when I have only set it to watch C:\2. MUSIC) and how can it be stopped from doing this? I have temporarily stopped MC from Tagging so that I don't tens of thousands of errors popping up in batches every time a track finishes playing, but that is not satisfactory either.

wer

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 09:36:18 pm »

It seems I have to do these one at a time

Nonsense.  Use the files view in the tree under Audio (or if you don't have one, create a "panes" view of files) and you can easily drill down in the location column to find all the files in the directories you want, then select them all and delete all at once.

The default files view will also let you select by file type, such as wma.

JRiver doesn't magically import folders that aren't on the watch list or manually imported.

If you're having trouble controlling auto import, you might consider just turning it off (uncheck run auto-import in background) and only doing manual folder imports as needed, until you are more experienced with it.  That way MC will never do anything without your knowledge.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 11:36:51 pm »

Great - that's exactly what I needed to know - thank you.

Yes, part way through all those errors popping up I turned off the background checking. I should be able to turn it back on now.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 12:22:54 am »

Is there a way to change the data for one field (say the year) for all the tracks in a folder at the same time?

What is the Tag Dump?

wer

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 12:54:29 am »

Of course.  Select all the tracks you want (using standard windows conventions: shift-click, ctrl-click, or ctrl-a), then hit Alt-Enter to open the tag pane, and modify the fields you want.  Changes will be applied to all selected files.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 01:00:22 am »

Cracker! Thanks again.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 07:12:45 pm »

Well that's all been a great help and made it a far more efficient process.

I have another query though: because I have been renaming quite a number of files (changed a convention) there are obviously a number of tagging errors. MC is picking up on these but it still leaves many (not all) of the old file paths in the list (of albums, tracks, artists). When I display by files there are red dots with a white bar in the small icon, which is obviously an error sign. The question is, can I sort the file display to group all of those errors together for one massive deletion? I can do it album by album by sorting by filename (because the filename has been slightly changed it will cluster the errors together) but that is still quite slow compared to just deleting the lot in one hit.

I did notice that these red dots don't appear until I actually scroll past them - it seems the lines have to actually be displayed on the screen to substitute the red dot for the icon. This is a bit of a pain - how do I know when it has finished putting the red dots in? Keep scrolling up and down until there are no more appearing during the scrolling? That's a bit hit and miss....

Sometimes MC has been self-deleting these after I have changed them, and other times they have remained there for many hours (like they are not going to self delete).

wer

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 09:43:47 pm »

Have you heard the expression "Going to the well once too often?"  ;)

You should start new threads when totally new questions arise, so that others can find them with a search and learn from them.  This has nothing to do with the original question and title of the thread.

First of all, stop renaming files outside of JRiver and causing yourself problems.  Use JRiver's "Rename, Move, and Copy Files" dialog to do it, and nothing will break.  The function is very powerful, and since it can act based on metadata, should be able to do almost anything you need.
Learn about it here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Those red do-not-enter signs (dots) indicate you have broken the link to the file, by messing around at the file system level without JRiver's knowledge.  You've changed the file name, or moved it or deleted it, but the MC database has not been updated.

To find all of the broken links, create a new smartlist named "Broken Links".
In the Edit Smartlist dialog, have one rule of type Custom, and paste the following text as the rule:
[=ismissing([filename])]=1
then click OK to add the Smartlist.

When you browse that smartlist, it will show you all the broken links.  You can delete those files from the library, and then reimport them from wherever you moved them to, or you can use the rename/move/copy dialog to fix the paths.

If you insist on messing about at the filesystem level, and don't like MC consequently removing broken things from the library without your knowledge, you have two options:
1. Uncheck "Run auto-import in background" and don't manually invoke auto import either.
2. In Configure Auto-import, set "Fix Broken Links" to NO.

In either case, references you break by altering the file system will remain in the library, and you can find them and fix them with the smartlist.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 10:03:46 pm »

Ok thanks, I'll have to look into that a little later. Yes, a new thread would probably have been better for that change of topic.

More than anything those errors are a result of two things - not knowing enough about MC, but also because I had several occurrences of files from a standard issue CD and a SACD, so the titles and tracks are very often the same name which meant they got all mixed together in MC. It seemed the easiest way to change them was in Windows folders where they still remain separate of course.

Anyhoo, lesson learnt, and thanks for your help.

EDIT: Broken links smartlist created, and they're all removed easily. :D

wer

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 10:22:09 pm »

Yeah, if you're going to rip discs with identical metadata, you need to take preemptive steps to avoid collisions.  I've had this arise with CD and DTS albums.

I've found the best thing to do is, at the time of ripping (before hitting the rip button), edit the album name by appending (SACD) or something.  This will put the tracks in a different folder with a different album name, so no problem.  Others might handle it differently.

Good luck...

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 11:20:13 pm »

edit the album name by appending (SACD) or something.
That's exactly what I was doing, adding [SACD 24-176] etc to the file name. They were files that were copied from one drive to another, so what I should have done was turned off the watching while I was fooling around.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up