INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to create custom tag groups on the tagging pane?  (Read 968 times)

666JTK666

• Junior Woodchuck
Possible to create custom tag groups on the tagging pane?
« on: August 07, 2019, 05:37:50 pm »

I use a number of custom tags for my audiobook collection and It would make my workflows so much quicker if I could create my own grouping of my tags so I don't have to wade through all the bloody tags in advanced to get things done.
If there is already a method to create a taging group in the tag payne please let me know I don't see how to do this.
thank you.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Possible to create custom tag groups on the taging payne.?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 06:00:35 pm »

I know of no way to create tagging groups.  However...

Since you have only one post, I wonder if you are new to MC.  I hope you realize that when you right-click in the tag pane, you can select which tags to show and which to hide, and that these choices persist (per media type), so that you only have to do it once.  I also use many custom fields, and I've enabled the ones I want and hidden the ones I don't, and this has worked fine for me for years.  If you're needing to actively edit more tags than can appear on your screen without scrolling, that is a very burdensome workflow.

Another option is to create a view, which shows as columns the tags you are interested in.  Then, in the tag pane, you can right-click and select "Show tags in current view" and it will show you just those tags.  You can of course also edit tags directly from the file list in the view.  I have special "tagging views" setup for exactly this purpose.

Since you can create as many such views as you like, each with a different set of tags, this would in a way function as the tag groups you describe; you'd just have to enter that particular view to be able to select that particular set of tags.

Good luck...

666JTK666

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 06:13:25 pm »

I lost my account login so had to create a new I.D., But I have been a user of MC since the ver 15. I am going to play around with the views tagging idea I never thought of that thank you.
I was hoping I could just create a tagging group in the tagging payne  called AudioBooks with all my goodies in it oh well.
could you post a screen shot of one of your views just so I get an idea of what it should look like ?

Just In case anyone is interested my AudioBook tags are as follows
Default tag Author
Default tag Media Sub Type (So I can set it to AudioBook and the rest as Music)
Custom tag Book Title
Custom tag Book Series Title
Custom tag Book Series Vol. (numeric field So I can get books in a series to display in the correct order)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 06:26:50 pm »

If you want your old forum account back, send me an email and I'll try to help.

I'm jimh at jriver

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 06:36:39 pm »

Are you talking about customizing this?

And where I have "Collections" and "File" you want a section for audiobooks that has

Default tag Author
Default tag Media Sub Type
Custom tag Book Title
Custom tag Book Series Title
Custom tag Book Series Vol.

If so, yes this is possible.  Click the icon that I marked with the red arrow and choose customize.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 06:43:12 pm »

The thing we are talking about is called the Tag Action Window.  It appears on the left navigation area when you do Edit > Tag or press Alt-Enter.

As Moe has pointed out, what you want is definitely doable with MC.

As Wer mentioned in his post, you can make the Tag Action Window show different things based upon the Media Type and Media Sub Type of your files.  This is awesome!  Because, this means any time you select an Audio Book and it has a Media Sub Type of "audiobook", your template for the Tag Action Window will magically appear when you open the Tag Action Window.

To make this work, click on the Customize area and add a new template.  You'll see an area to edit the "search" . The Search is where you specify the Media Type, Media Sub Type, or whatever you want that will trigger your particular template.  Media Sub Type is a good one for you because you files should all have "audiobook" as their Media Sub Type.

Then just add fields as you would like.   You can put them in groups too if that's helpful.  I've built a few custom templates of my own based upon how I like to edit tags.  Even the specific order of the fields can be changed.  So you can add them in the order you normally fill them in, which makes things even more streamlined and faster.

This capability is a very powerful part of the MC experience.  I hope you learn it and enjoy it.  :)

Brian.

666JTK666

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 06:51:29 pm »

Pure Awesomesauce Thank you all!!

wer

Re: Possible to create custom tag groups on the tagging pane?
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 07:09:48 pm »

Although Matt just calls it the "tag window"...  ;)

There's an alternate/old/compact version you can use by holding down SHIFT when opening the tag window.

blgentry

Re: Possible to create custom tag groups on the tagging pane?
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 09:14:42 am »

Although Matt just calls it the "tag window"...  ;)

I used to call it "the tagging pane", which made sense to me.  As you say, I've seen it called the Tag Window or Tagging Window.  As long as we all know what we are talking about any name is fine.  But I prefer to use the official name in these kinds of cases because it cuts down on confusion.

The Japanese are very good at this.  Everything has a name; a very exact name so there is no confusion.  Take a look at this diagram of a Japanese Katana as an illustration of "everything has a name":

https://www.swordsoftheeast.com/theanatomyofajapanesekatana.aspx

Anyway, it's not all that important.  Just explaining why I am as exact about naming as I can be.  :)

Take care,

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up