INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC23 crashes when trying to upload files after recovering hard drive.  (Read 1018 times)

nooshinjohn

• Recent member

I am trying to get MC23 working again after replacing my PC after a power supply failure in the old computer. After uploading some 20k files, JRiver shuts down by itself. I have data logs but do not know how to use them...

nooshinjohn

• Recent member
Re: MC23 crashes when trying to upload files after recovering hard drive.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 01:42:56 pm »

Just got off the phone with Seagate and Microsoft.... My recovery software was able to pull the files and recover them, but the folders which held those files are empty and not recoverable. JRiver, until it crashes, was recovering everything and putting things in proper folders... any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

nooshinjohn

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 06:39:25 pm »

How long does it take to get help from a CS rep? I have been waiting all day for a response... I am grateful for the support, but not being able to use the program is getting frustrating...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 10:05:06 pm »

If you've had to recover files from a disk, then there may be other problems.

Try installing MC, then importing.  The "Getting Started" link in my signature describes the process. 

A crash after import has begun could mean you still have a problem with the data.  Just try running again.

When you say "uploading", do you mean "importing?"

nooshinjohn

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 10:11:02 pm »

Yes, I mean importing. At this time I have removed and reinstalled several times, and have cleared the library multiple times as well. currently, nothing loads to JRiver, including from my backup devices.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 10:22:48 pm »

I think some of your recovered files have corruption in them. That is common when doing file recovery, depending on the tools used for the recovery.

MC tries to write to files as it imports them, as defined in the Tasks section of the Auto Import configuration.

I suggest that you find a tool to check your recovered files before trying to import them again. There are some specific tools out there. Google will help.

The logs would probably show which file MC was trying to import when it crashed.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

nooshinjohn

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 10:24:57 pm »

The trouble is I do not know how to read the logs...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 12:47:54 am »

There is only one way to learn. Read them. Just look for file import tasks near the end. The last file MC tried to import is probably corrupt.

Also search for "fail" and "error" in the logs. I find Notepad++ a great tool for reading logs.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 07:05:51 am »

If it's really a crash, not a freeze, then you'll see "crash" near the bottom of the previous log.
Pages: [1]   Go Up