INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: failed merit based rendering in MC25  (Read 561 times)

gpj9591

failed merit based rendering in MC25
« on: August 21, 2019, 07:36:04 pm »

Since I have upgraded from MC 24 to MC25, I am getting "Failed merit based rendering" in any version of MC 25, including the latest beta 25.0.93, when trying to play a MIDI file to my server's USB.

When switching back to MC24 on the same server the MIDI files are playing without any problem MC24.

Does anyone know if I am chasing a bug? or there is a config change needed between MC24 and MC25?

Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: failed merit based rendering in MC25
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 08:36:14 am »

For MIDI playback, there has not been any change for years.  So I can't explain why you could play them in MC24 but not in MC25.

In Tools > Options > File Types, make sure Playback Method for "MIDI Audio (mid, midi, rim, rmid)" is set to Automatic.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 10:09:00 am »

Also, have you tried rebooting Windows?  Rebooting might help.

gpj9591

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 10:44:19 pm »

Thanks for the input. Yes the MIDI file is set to Automatic and I did reboot the server.

Since I am running the MC on Windows 10, I had to add CoolSoft MIDIMapper that installed as MIDI Output device and force itself as MIDI Device #0 (as the original built-in Windows MIDI Mapper was eliminated since Windows 8 ).
For whatever reason, MC24 pipe the MIDI via the CoolSoft MIDIMapper and play the MIDI file to my instrument via the USB port, but MC25 does not and gives me the "Failed merit based rendering" message.

Could any of the following contribute to the issue?
1. I am running MC24 and MC25 on the same server, but never at the same time. I shut down one before running the other.
2. When I first installed MC25 , I have Restored the last backup of MC24 into MC25 in order to maintain the configuration and Playlists

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 07:09:01 pm »

Could any of the following contribute to the issue?
1. I am running MC24 and MC25 on the same server, but never at the same time. I shut down one before running the other.
2. When I first installed MC25 , I have Restored the last backup of MC24 into MC25 in order to maintain the configuration and Playlists

Neither should be a factor.  When you switch from MC24 to MC25, or vice versa, you get a Windows warning about letting MC making changes.  Make sure you answer Yes.

gpj9591

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 07:50:15 am »

Going back to the original issue: What is the meaning and source for the message "  failed merit based rendering"?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 10:18:09 am »

Going back to the original issue: What is the meaning and source for the message "  failed merit based rendering"?

"Merit based" refers to the original DirectShow design in which all filters are assigned a Merit.  DirectShow, when determining which filter to use, picks filters according to their merit values if all other criteria match.  For example, if you have multiple MIDI Renderer filters, DirectShow picks one that has higher merit value.

The message only serves the purpose of tell us that we are dealing with legacy method of DirectShow graph-building, rather than Red October which uses LAV filters (which do not handle MIDI).
Pages: [1]   Go Up