INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: upgraded from MC24 to 25 - Shows thumbnails disappeared  (Read 702 times)

otrebor

upgraded from MC24 to 25 - Shows thumbnails disappeared
« on: August 23, 2019, 09:18:29 am »

Hello,
I just Upgraded from MC24 to MC 25.0.92 64 bit (on Ubuntu Mint 19.1).
At the moment they are both installed. I did a library restore on 25 from the latest backup of 24, so that all settings would be retained.
I found that in Video/Shows the thumbnails of most (but not all!) series are gone: in MC24 I had generic series covers, and now in MC25 I have screenshots from the episodes.
I do not recall doing anything specific in MC24 to change the cover art for those series.
It seems to be only the Shows, e.g. Movies thumbnails are unchanged (but in 24 automatic cover art did not always work, so in several cases I had to use the cover art dialog).
Any suggestions on how to get the old (nicer) cover art ?
Thanks

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: upgraded from MC24 to 25 - Shows thumbnails disappeared
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 04:10:17 pm »

Hello,
I just Upgraded from MC24 to MC 25.0.92 64 bit (on Ubuntu Mint 19.1).
At the moment they are both installed. I did a library restore on 25 from the latest backup of 24, so that all settings would be retained.
I found that in Video/Shows the thumbnails of most (but not all!) series are gone: in MC24 I had generic series covers, and now in MC25 I have screenshots from the episodes.
I do not recall doing anything specific in MC24 to change the cover art for those series.
It seems to be only the Shows, e.g. Movies thumbnails are unchanged (but in 24 automatic cover art did not always work, so in several cases I had to use the cover art dialog).
Any suggestions on how to get the old (nicer) cover art ?
Thanks
Were they embedded in the video files or images in the directory with the video files?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 07:11:00 pm »

Based on my Windows knowledge:

Series and Season Cover Art for TV Shows are always stored in the location defined in "Options > File Location > Cover Art". Episode Cover Art is always stored next to the video file.

When you do an in-place upgrade from MC24 to MC25 and the installation process finds the previous version, it will copy these files in the MC24 location to the MC25 location. If the installation process doesn't find the previous version of MC, which happens for me most upgrades, these Cover Art files are not copied across. A Library Backup doesn't include these files, so if you have to Restore a Library Backup to get your Library into MC25 after a major upgrade, then the files won't have been copied.

So, what you have to do now is find the location that MC24 used for these files, as per the above setting, and copy them to the correct location for MC25, which will then use them for your Video/Show Views.

For the above reason, I moved the Cover Art location in MC settings to a non-version-specific location a long time ago. All my MC installations, even when I have two versions still installed, use the same Cover Art locations now, and I never have the above issue. Note that the new version of MC still needs to build thumbnails for the Cover Art again, as the thumbnails database isn't migrated from the earlier to the later version.

Note that if you edit the Cover Art location in "Options > File Location > Cover Art", MC will copy (or move, I forget which) the Cover Art to the new location. So you could just edit that setting to point at a non-version-specific location using MC24, and then change it in MC25 to the same location, and MC25 should find all your old Cover Art.

If you need to copy the files over manually, I can't help you with locating or copying Cover Art files under Linux, but I'm sure you will work that bit out.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

otrebor

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 01:58:39 am »

Thank you RoderickGI,
I did what you suggested and it worked perfectly.
Changing the Covert Art File Location in Options in MC24 did indeed *move* all the cover art in the new non-version-specific location I set up.
Then in MC25 I cleaned the current covert art folder (to make sure nothing in the new location gets overwritten) and then changed the Cover Art Folder to that same non-version-specific location.
It was quick and simple and it worked. Thanks for the detailed explanation!

@bob: images were neither embedded nor local to the video folder, but stored in the cover art folder
Pages: [1]   Go Up