INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote Not Playing Files With MC 25 & Allo Sparky  (Read 3667 times)

designmule

• World Citizen
JRemote Not Playing Files With MC 25 & Allo Sparky
« on: August 24, 2019, 07:11:16 pm »

Hello

I had a recent post about MC25 not starting on an Allo Sparky which has been resolved.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121653.0.html

Tonight I had my first chance to actually listen to some music played through the Sparky and I couldn't get JRemote to play music. I entered the updated access key and JRemote connects to the Sparky, allows me to scroll through music options and "play" something but nothing plays. The app indicates that the track is current but there is no progress. Remoted into the Sparky, there is no indication that the track has been selected or queued. I've tried killing the app then retrying and accessing through another (android) device and the result was the same.

I can remote into the device and play audio from JRiver. I can also play music via Panel. When I play music from JRiver or via panel, the JRemote app does not indicate that anything is playing other than the last track I attempted to play using the app.

I am able to play music using JRemote on my to pi's just fine. I've done my best to double check that the Sparky is setup the same way as the pi's. MC24 worked just fine.

Any suggestions?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote Not Playing Files With MC 25 & Allo Sparky
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 03:07:35 pm »

Hello

I had a recent post about MC25 not starting on an Allo Sparky which has been resolved.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121653.0.html

Tonight I had my first chance to actually listen to some music played through the Sparky and I couldn't get JRemote to play music. I entered the updated access key and JRemote connects to the Sparky, allows me to scroll through music options and "play" something but nothing plays. The app indicates that the track is current but there is no progress. Remoted into the Sparky, there is no indication that the track has been selected or queued. I've tried killing the app then retrying and accessing through another (android) device and the result was the same.

I can remote into the device and play audio from JRiver. I can also play music via Panel. When I play music from JRiver or via panel, the JRemote app does not indicate that anything is playing other than the last track I attempted to play using the app.

I am able to play music using JRemote on my to pi's just fine. I've done my best to double check that the Sparky is setup the same way as the pi's. MC24 worked just fine.

Any suggestions?
Check to make sure your MC user on the Sparky has audio device access and check the audio device selected by MC on the Sparky...

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 04:53:49 pm »

Hi Bob

Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to verify that my user is in the audio group and the appropriate sound device is selected. I'll also point out that I am able to play music on the sparky via panels or MediaCenter when remoted in to the sparky.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:15:47 am »

You are using JRemote (Android?) to play music on JRemote OR the Sparky?
Same test on the Pi's?
Music format?
Did you at some point in time copy the MC Settings files from a Pi to the Sparky perhaps (that would cause issues).

Send me a PM with the access key for the Sparky and one of the Pi's that works.

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 11:12:47 am »

Hi Bob

I use JRemote (android) to play music on the Sparky (as well as my pi's, windows box, etc.). Most of my music is two channel apple lossless. I'll point out that with MC24 playback worked just fine from the sparky.

I have not copied any files from the pis to the sparky.

I'll PM you the access keys.

Thanks for your help
Matt

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 12:01:10 pm »

Hi Bob

I use JRemote (android) to play music on the Sparky (as well as my pi's, windows box, etc.). Most of my music is two channel apple lossless. I'll point out that with MC24 playback worked just fine from the sparky.

I have not copied any files from the pis to the sparky.

I'll PM you the access keys.

Thanks for your help
Matt
Hi Matt,
Where are the audio files stored? On each device, a NAS or MC server instance?

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 12:55:41 pm »

Hi Bob

The files are stored on a windows box running media server. My pi's and sparky connect to the library server and pull files that way.

Thanks for your help
Matt

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 02:22:16 pm »

Hi Bob

The files are stored on a windows box running media server. My pi's and sparky connect to the library server and pull files that way.

Thanks for your help
Matt
Ok, on the Pi's and the Sparky, look under Media Network->Advanced and check the options that says "Client Options" when connected to a Library Sever and Audio Conversion. I'm guessing they are not the same.

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 07:44:38 pm »

Hi Bob

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like everything is the same under "Client Options". I have "auto sync with server" and "play local file if one that matches..." checked. I really don't need "play local file if one that matches..." to be checked as no music is stored on either device but that's how they are both setup. "Show playback zones..." is unchecked. Under "Audio Conversion" "Don't convert audio" is selected and the encoder is listed as "MP3 high bandwidth" is selected (though I don't think that should matter based on the previous setting).

Under "Advanced" again, everything is the same with all options unchecked.

I appreciate the suggestions. I can roll back to 24 (which worked) if needed as it seemed to play nice with a 25 library server.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 09:23:05 am »

Hi Bob

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like everything is the same under "Client Options". I have "auto sync with server" and "play local file if one that matches..." checked. I really don't need "play local file if one that matches..." to be checked as no music is stored on either device but that's how they are both setup. "Show playback zones..." is unchecked. Under "Audio Conversion" "Don't convert audio" is selected and the encoder is listed as "MP3 high bandwidth" is selected (though I don't think that should matter based on the previous setting).

Under "Advanced" again, everything is the same with all options unchecked.

I appreciate the suggestions. I can roll back to 24 (which worked) if needed as it seemed to play nice with a 25 library server.
Thanks for checking. I don't see where the difference could be if it's not converting but I'm going to make a test build for you to try. Will PM you when it's ready.

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 11:17:20 am »

Hi Bob

I tried with the test build and no dice. However, I grabbed my wife's iPhone, added the sparky and it worked perfectly. So it seems it is some sort of issue with JRemote for android, MC25 and my sparky.

I'd happily purchase JRiver for android and try it but my understanding is that JRiver for android is intended for playback on the android device, not control of other JRiver installations.

I appreciate your help.
Matt

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 02:29:00 pm »

Hi Bob

I tried with the test build and no dice. However, I grabbed my wife's iPhone, added the sparky and it worked perfectly. So it seems it is some sort of issue with JRemote for android, MC25 and my sparky.

I'd happily purchase JRiver for android and try it but my understanding is that JRiver for android is intended for playback on the android device, not control of other JRiver installations.

I appreciate your help.
Matt
A completely new build of JRemote for Android is in the works. Seems like that's most likely to fix your issue.

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 11:51:29 am »

Thanks Bob

Is there a rough ETA or will there be an email sent out when the new JRemote version is available? The way android updates, the new JRemote could get installed but I'd have no idea it did.

I really appreciate all your help here and in my other thread. I recognize I'm one user running an oddball arm device.

Matt

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 12:10:28 pm »

We'll post on the forum first, then add it to the newsletter.

It won't be a free update.

designmule

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 01:00:44 pm »

Just to close the loop on this one, I was ultimately able to play music on my Sparky with the original JRemote for Android by disabling library sync on all of my devices. Unfortunately JRemote2 for Android doesn't work for me (on any device) but that's a post for elsewhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up