INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android Players for Classical Music and Smartlist Support  (Read 787 times)

Nicholas T

• Junior Woodchuck
Android Players for Classical Music and Smartlist Support
« on: August 25, 2019, 06:47:00 pm »

Hi,

I have been using PowerAmp for a few years but it's lacking in key areas for me. So, I'm looking for suggestions for more suitable Android music players.

My music library is mostly classical music and I need to be able to browse by Composer > Album. That's my bare minimum requirement for a player. However,  I would also really like to be able to create smart playlists that can use inclusion/exclusion logic on any tag.  E.g., WHERE Genre='Classical Piano' AND Period='Romantic' and then group the results by Composer, Artist or Album etc.  I don't want to always be presented with an extensive list of single tracks in a playlist. I might have 300 tracks of Mozart and I want to be able to group them into Album or Artist.

An Android version of JRiver Media Center would be great, but one that looks as nice as PowerAmp and is as easy to use. Yeah, I know I'm probably dreaming on that front!

At the moment, I'm having to prefix all tracks in JRiver with "Composer -", e.g., "Mozart - Sonata in D Major K..." so that in PowerAmp I can see the composer of the current track. Otherwise, the Composer is hidden away. It's seriously annoying that the Composer tag isn't displayed natively.

Is it possible to create smartlists / playlists in MC and then copy them over to my phone as a part of the sync process?

I also mostly listen to FLAC 96 kHz 24 bit and would like a player that can utilize that quality.

What are other classical music listeners using out there?

Cheers,

Nicholas

LGV40, Samsung Tab S7+ & Sony WH1000XM4 = some peace in the chaos.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Nicholas T

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Android Players for Classical Music and Smartlist Support
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 12:31:45 am »

Thanks, Jim,

I would love for Android JRiver to work for me! However, my concerns are:

I can't seem to find a JRiver For Android page with a full feature list, screenshots etc.  I'd like to know exactly what I'm getting before I jump in. Is there a page for it?

It looks like it's still early days for the app which makes me nervous re stability/features/UI finesse.

Unfortunately, the Play Store reviews are few and not very glowing.

No trial available.  I've just downloaded GoneMAD (Trial) for 14 days. This gives me time to work with the product and check it out before purchasing.

It's $15 AU and the competitors are a lot cheaper (Poweramp $4.99, GoneMAD $6.49 etc.). Which, I'll happily pay if it is superior to those other products and meets all my needs.

Cheers,
Nicholas

LGV40, Samsung Tab S7+ & Sony WH1000XM4 = some peace in the chaos.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Android Players for Classical Music and Smartlist Support
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 02:13:37 am »

I think the only solution for that today is to use a decent Windows 10 tablet and run the full MC for Windows application.

You would need a Microsoft Surface, HP, or Dell, more than likely, to get the specs that would make that viable.

Only the full MC application is going to give you the Tagging, View creation and Management that you are looking for. Or the full display of complex Views for that matter.

Or I guess for audio only, if you could find a tablet that could run Linux, that would be an option.

I can't see you getting what you want on a phone, unless it is running as a Client of a MC Server with appropriate Views setup, using JRemote (the Android version is getting a refresh), MO 4Media, or... well, not much else.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up