INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TIF Images Tagging Problems  (Read 1976 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
TIF Images Tagging Problems
« on: August 28, 2019, 12:36:43 pm »

I recently bought a new camera. I set the camera to save images as JPEG and RAW. The RAW images I am developing with Canon software and saving as TIF files.

When I Import the TIF files in MC25 they are shown in Unknown Album instead of Dated albums as all our other images. The JPG's from this camera show properly in Dated Albums.

In looking at the Tags the TIF's are missing all the camera information but the JPG's have it. If I open the same TIF's in Irfanview and look at Information all the camera information is there.

So for some reason MC doesn't respond properly to the data in my TIF files.

Cheers,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: TIF Images Tagging Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 12:37:51 pm »

What's the full version of MC?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 01:02:31 pm »

What's the full version of MC?

25.0.89  FWIW it also gives the same problems on MC24

wer

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 02:19:37 pm »

TIFF has been around for a long time... I've been dealing with it since the 80s. It is a very flexible format, and there have been a lot of different approaches to tagging them, from many different vendors.  There are supposed to be standards, and even private tags are supposed to be registered, but the reality is that over the decades that has not always been the case.  Many vendors have behaved rather loosely towards the standards.

It is very easy to find a program that will only partially understand TIFF tags from another program.  Because TIFF can hold almost any type of image data, it is used as an archival format by a lot of different institutions.  But over the years I've found it is also the format most likely to have metadata compatibility issues.

I don't know if this is what's happening in your case, but it could very well be, and you probably wouldn't have too much difficulty in finding another program that doesn't read all the tags correctly.

It's hard to assign blame when there is so much to go around.

There's a program called PhotoMe that you could download.  They do a pretty good job of providing broad tag support to a host of formats.  You would be able to re-save or re-tag in that, and it might fix the tags enough for MC to understand them.

Manfred

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 04:30:09 pm »

Do you have enabled file association for TIFF under Options->File Types->Image?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 06:38:55 pm »

Hi Manfred - Yes I do have TIFF Associated. Thanks for thinking of this.

Hi wer - Thanks for all your explanations of difficulties with TIF Data and the suggestion of PhotoMe. I looked into that and unfortunately at this time it cannot do Batch editing of MetaData so I think it would be very cumbersome to use for a lot of photos.

There probably are other programs that won't be able to read my Camera's Data. I did try a few though and they seemed to show the correct camera data: Irfanview, Windows 10 Photo's, Windows 10 Photo Viewer and a 2 year old copy I have of ACDC 20.

One thing with Media Center that seems very odd is that when I open a tif file in MC 25 it shows the date the photo was taken in the Tag Window. Yet MC still puts it in 'Unknown Album' instead of 'Dated album'. This is actually my biggest problem with using MC for my TIF files.

Cheers,
Rod

wer

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 08:27:47 pm »

If Windows 10 photo viewer groks it, it should be standard enough.  I don't know if MC has deficiencies in that area, as i don't use it for TIFF.

If you send the image file to someone at JRiver who cares to investigate perhaps they can figure out why MC won't read it.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 10:32:44 pm »

If Windows 10 photo viewer groks it, it should be standard enough.  I don't know if MC has deficiencies in that area, as i don't use it for TIFF.

If you send the image file to someone at JRiver who cares to investigate perhaps they can figure out why MC won't read it.

Thanks for the suggestion. My TIF files are too large to email: typically 50-110 Mb. If someone from JRiver is listening please suggest a way to send you a file.

Thanks,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 07:16:09 am »

Dropbox or similar.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 08:10:11 am »

Dropbox or similar.

I just sent you a link to a tif photo in my OneDrive.

Thanks,
Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 12:07:07 pm »

Thanks for the file.

I made it so we pull the camera and put the date in the album.

I also asked Yaobing if he might take a crack at it.

Thanks again.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 12:15:47 pm »

Thanks for the file.

I made it so we pull the camera and put the date in the album.

I also asked Yaobing if he might take a crack at it.

Thanks again.

Hi Matt - Thanks for getting on this. I'm not sure what your statement about "pull" & "put" means though?

For reference these files did not come directly from a camera but from an editing program. Other files from the same program that are .jpg work fine in MC.

Thanks Again,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 12:23:47 pm »

What was the editing program?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 12:25:51 pm »

What was the editing program?

Luminar 3.

Thanks Jim

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 01:03:46 pm »

Hi Jim,

The Tif photo I emailed you was edited in Luminar 3 after the Canon CR3 RAW camera file was 'Developed' using Canon Digital Professional 4.

I have another tif file that came straight from Digital Professional 4 if you would like it. It has the same problems in MC that the one I sent you does.

Really appreciate JRiver pursuing this.

Cheers,
Rod

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 07:22:16 pm »

The "Camera" and "Date Taken" tags aren't usually removed or modified by any editing software. Although depending on settings, some may strip tags from the files on publishing, particularly publishing for the web.

The "Date Taken" needs to be saved into the [Album] tag for the date based Album functionality to work in MC. I have TIFF in my test Library that doesn't have anything in the [Album] tag, and so it is displayed under "Unknown Album", but also a few NEF and JPG files also under the same grouping. But you can set up a View to group and sort by [Date], which I thought always held "Date Taken" in MC already.

All the image files I have that display under a date in the Album view have a Date in the [Album] tag.

But I'm not using MC seriously for image management at this time, so my observations may be a bit wrong.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 09:14:39 pm »

As Matt mentioned, "Camera" field is now properly read from the image and saved in the tag.  I am still working on other things.  We did miss a number of tags, such as Date Taken, Copyright, ISO, etc.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 10:25:03 pm »

As Matt mentioned, "Camera" field is now properly read from the image and saved in the tag.  I am still working on other things.  We did miss a number of tags, such as Date Taken, Copyright, ISO, etc.

Hi Yaobing,

Do you mean in current builds that 'Camera' field is properly read? Or do you mean in a build to come soon? In my 25.0.89 nothing shows in the camera fields except 'Dimensions' on my Tif's.

Thanks for working on this!

Cheers,
Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 10:33:17 pm »

The "Camera" and "Date Taken" tags aren't usually removed or modified by any editing software. Although depending on settings, some may strip tags from the files on publishing, particularly publishing for the web.

The "Date Taken" needs to be saved into the [Album] tag for the date based Album functionality to work in MC. I have TIFF in my test Library that doesn't have anything in the [Album] tag, and so it is displayed under "Unknown Album", but also a few NEF and JPG files also under the same grouping. But you can set up a View to group and sort by [Date], which I thought always held "Date Taken" in MC already.

All the image files I have that display under a date in the Album view have a Date in the [Album] tag.

But I'm not using MC seriously for image management at this time, so my observations may be a bit wrong.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. In my case all of the camera info is still there because it shows in several other programs. Date does show but MC is not picking it up for the Album. Thanks for your viewing suggestions.

Cheers,
Rod

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 07:50:01 am »

Hi Yaobing,

Do you mean in current builds that 'Camera' field is properly read? Or do you mean in a build to come soon? In my 25.0.89 nothing shows in the camera fields except 'Dimensions' on my Tif's.

Thanks for working on this!

Cheers,
Rod

No, sorry for the confusion.  I meant that it is working on my computer  ;D
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up