INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Bravia TV and JR Media Center  (Read 2306 times)

smOOzz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • fine and warm
Sony Bravia TV and JR Media Center
« on: August 29, 2019, 01:49:50 am »

Have been using the JR Media Center since it was a Jukebox and now at vers 24.  As my music organizer/player for my 150K track library it's the best.  And can play all video formats I've tried.  So all good.   
Now trying to setup JRiver as a replacement for PLEX thru the Sony Bravia.    Have tried to follow all setup suggestions I could find thru the Support etc, but I feel the Sony Bravia is the problem.     Have previously used JRiver Media Player thru a Panasonic TV with no problems.
Sony support has provided no solution or even an understanding of the problem.
The PC with all the media files (audio/videos) and the Sony TV are connected by WiFi thru the home network.    PLEX, when it not having tantrums, will play thru the Sony TV and it shows a PLEX 'index' box like YouTube, Netflix, etc.    So far the JRiver HTPC 'app' and PC files are found hidden under the VIDEO 'index' box.
So I guess I'm seeking some guidance as to whether to keep persevering with the JRiver setup or whether the Sony Bravia is too hard to organise.
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Peter

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Re: Sony Bravia TV and JR Media Center
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 02:37:22 am »

You should be able to get this working in much the same way, either through the JRiver tile on the Sony or pushed from MC.

What you need to do is enable Media sharing in Tools -Options - Media Network , then assuming the Sony is on the same network it should appear in Playing Now options in MC and the tile should be available on the Sony.

Please excuse the sketchy response, typing this on the phone on the tram.

Cheers

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 07:11:49 am »

It may work, as Scobie says, in one direction or the other.

Make sure Media Network is turned on.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network

Unless it's really old, the Sony TV should work.  The JRiver server may be found under another category, like Network, on the TV.

Sometimes a device will take several minutes to show up.

smOOzz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • fine and warm
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 03:16:25 pm »

Thank you for the encouragement.   I was half expecting that some Sony Bravia quirk was the culprit after checking on some questions on the Sony forum.
It should work as it has on 2 previous 'smart' TV's.  Same network and setup as before so I'll try again today.  Sony Bravia is only about 6 months old.
Media Network is 'ON' but I'll backtrack and double read the Wiki info.
Thanks once again.
Peter

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 11:27:55 am »

Thank you for the encouragement.   I was half expecting that some Sony Bravia quirk was the culprit after checking on some questions on the Sony forum.
It should work as it has on 2 previous 'smart' TV's.  Same network and setup as before so I'll try again today.  Sony Bravia is only about 6 months old.
Media Network is 'ON' but I'll backtrack and double read the Wiki info.
Thanks once again.
Peter
On some Sony's you need to enable the renderer in the TV setup.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 08:28:11 pm »

..and the TV needs to be On (rather than Standby..)
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up