INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've done something to the sound, but don't know what...  (Read 6888 times)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
I've done something to the sound, but don't know what...
« on: September 03, 2019, 12:40:59 am »

I really do wish I had a better understanding of technical stuff, but I just don't.

I don't know how this situation came about, but it seems to have been developing step by step over some days.

Currently, when I try to play music through JRiver MC23 the following is (or is not) happening:
1. 16b 44.1kHz music plays like it is skipping forward through a CD, but when I play the same thing in Foobar it does not, so I assume I have changed something in JR but no idea what.
2. Any music that is above 16/44 won't play (and it used to). I get an error msg "Could not be started on the output WASAPI using format 176.4 kHz (or the appropriate sample rate for the particular music).

Other odd behaviour has been happening:

1. I have no Realtek driver to be found (and I most certainly didn't see anything about deleting it)
2. Every time I start music in JR it comes on at full volume instead of where it was set previously
3. It used to be that ALL sounds from the computer cxame through whatever system I had selected. Suddenly, two days ago, I started getting Windows sounds through the Laptop inbuilt speakers, and music through the Harmon Kardon Studio 2, which is currently connected only by 3.5mm cable. Having these split sounds is actually really good, but I'm not at all sure that it is supposed to be happening!
4. Re 3. above - the HK speaker will no longer work on Bluetooth from the Laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (have seen the other concurrent thread but couldn't see anything relevant in there)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
Re: I've done something to the sound, but don't know what...
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 01:20:40 am »

1. 16b 44.1kHz music plays like it is skipping forward through a CD, but when I play the same thing in Foobar it does not, so I assume I have changed something in JR but no idea what.
This particular issue seems to be resolved now.

In it's place: The Harmon Kardon speaker no longer works via 3.5mm jack - ONLY on Bluetooth (whereas 20 minutes ago it wouldn't work on Bluetooth, and had to have the jack - insert headslap icon here....)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 10:42:11 pm »

I may have resolved this (but only with the aid of a friend). At least I now know it was nothing I did.....bloody Microsoft got rid of my Realtek driver in the last massive update in July, and installed not one, but two identical drivers of their own. That may explain why at some times I was getting computer sounds out of the Laptop and Music out of the external speaker. Great....but it was spasmodic. Kinda like a two headed lizard trying to work out why it is still hungry......one head hasn't had the pleasure of eating yet....  ::)

However, it doesn't explain a number of other weird sound things that have been going on in JRiver, like not playing the higher res music - which was resolved for a little while last night but is now back to being a problem again.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 02:20:22 am »

You've rolled back to the earlier Realtek driver, according to your other post.

Get the latest Realtek drive directly from Realtek and install that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 02:28:43 am »

Thanks for your reply Roderick. After I rolled back I did ask it to check for updates and it said there were none. Presumably this driver was ok in July before it was ousted by Microsoft - I didn't have any high res music at that point, but 16/44 played ok (and won't now, either....hang on, I'll play something to see if that has changed....no, 16/44 still skips).

Now I guess that Microsoft may not know if there are updated Realtek drivers, but I don't understand why the one that worked up until a month ago could be the fault?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 07:59:43 am »

Happens all the time. Microsoft update Windows. Drivers that used to work no longer do. If Microsoft is aware that may happen, they replace the original drivers with updated ones they have.

I assume this Realtek audio you are using is on the motherboard, and not a separate audio card? Usually, the best drivers will come from your motherboard manufacturer's site. But of course they stop updating them at some point, so default either to generic drivers if an update is required, or Microsoft drivers.

What motherboard are you using? Make and specific model?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 05:49:26 pm »

I assume this Realtek audio you are using is on the motherboard, and not a separate audio card?

What motherboard are you using? Make and specific model?

The limit of my knowledge is that it's a Toshiba P50-A Laptop, 2016 model (even though the sticker underneath says it's a P50W-C, anything that looks inside the Laptop says it's a P50-A). When I look at the Toshiba.com site it doesn't exist, not even by serial number. It was a USA Laptop imported into Australia (which was unknown to me when I purchased it).

The Realtek Driver that I rolled back to is:
Realtek High Definition Audio
19th July 2016
Version 6.0.1.7885
Provider: Andrea Electronics Corporation
File Version: 1.0.64.10
Digital Signer Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility
About 6 events from the end of last July (6 weeks ago)
about 12 events from 4-5 days ago (I only rolled it back yesterday)

So after the rollback yesterday, about 6-7 hours later JRiver was sounding like a skipping CD again. Just now when I was looking at the Device Manager for the above info I noticed that once more there are two drivers. The second one is
Intel (R) Display Audio
Driver Date 17th May 2019
Version 10.26.0.8
and the events tell me that it seems to think it has been around since 27th July this year.

Attached is a screenshot of it, if that helps.

I am suspicious that the presence of this second driver is what is causing the sound problems of skipping and not playing hi res music in JRiver.

More observations:
Foobar is not having any of the above problems
Yesterday JR was just abandoning playing hi res with a WASAPI message, and 16/44 res playing like skipping
This morning (as I post) when I try to play Hi Res the msg is "Can't be started in 192k 24 bit 2 Ch, but 48/24 2 Ch will work"
giving me the choice of play with change or cancel.

A few days ago I was getting that option but then  it changed to won't play, and now back again.

All these chops and changes are doing my head in!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 07:42:26 pm »

First, the Intel Display Audio driver is the audio driver component of the Intel HDMI drivers. It would be used if you were outputting audio via HDMI. It is unlikely to be the problem, if you aren't using HDMI Audio.

Second, the driver may not be the issue. But it would be where I would start.

I went to the Toshiba Australia (www.toshiba.com.au) site... and got lots of warnings about an unsafe site called Dynabook which I was redirected to!

It seems Toshiba have split off their laptop business and formed a new company called Dynabook. Anyway, I was able to get to the site and check P50-A and P50W-C support. I didn't know the full model number for your P50, so I couldn't select the exact model. See image. I just guessed a couple of models and checked them. It seems that the latest Audio Driver for them comes from around October 2016, with a version number at best of 6.0.1.7548 or similar.

So it seems your driver is probably the latest, and has been selected correctly by Windows. Although maybe you could try again on that support site to see if there is a later version, or find the full model number so I could look.

So where does that leave us? Back at basic setup I suspect. If Windows sounds and FooBar work, then it must be some settings in MC. Well, most likely.

Are you playing to speakers connected to the laptop, or streaming to a DLNA device, or connected to an AVR, or DAC, or how is your output connected?
In MC, are you playing to "Realtek High Definition Audio [WASAPI]"?
What version of Windows are you running?
What is the full version of MC that you are running? MC23.0.104?
When you play using FooBar, are you using WASAPI? If you are using Direct Sound, that would explain why it is working. Windows would be converting the audio to a format the driver supports.

Let's start there, unless someone else has some ideas.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 07:48:32 pm »

That's fantastic help Roderick - thank you so much! I'll check what I can immediately and post asap.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 07:51:08 pm »

Yes, Toshiba jumped out of Laptops about 18 months ago.

The part number for mine is PSPVTU-00G009.

It may be prudent to mention that a friend of mine wants to take me through installing an ASIO driver at some point pretty soon. If I do that, would it obviate any fix I'm trying to implement for this current problem or would it be two separate things?
(don't want to create a fuss to repair this if the ASIO fixes the problem anyway)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 08:23:27 pm »

I see on another thread that you play to a "Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio 22". https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122003.msg844669.html#msg844669

I assume you mean a "Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 22", but I can't find a reference to that model on the Harman Kardon site. Could you clarify?

Also, if it is an Onyx Studio speaker that you are playing to, that is a Bluetooth speaker isn't it? That would change everything. Although I have practically no experience with Bluetooth speakers, I would assume that you would play to the Bluetooth driver to make them work. That means selecting the Bluetooth device associated with the speaker in MC "Options > Audio > Audio Device".

I don't think you could play to a Bluetooth speaker using ASIO.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 08:32:51 pm »

The part number for mine is PSPVTU-00G009.

I looked that up on the site and did find a driver from October 2016, which is a later date than the driver you mentioned. But your driver has a higher version number, so I would probably stick with that.

I think answer my other questions above and see how we go from there.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 08:54:26 pm »

Ah, my usual typo. ABC TV here has a Studio 22 that many music pgms are set in.....it's a Studio 2.  ::)

Yes it's a Bluetooth speaker, but I can also use it with a 3.5mm jack which becomes necessary playing very hi-res music.
I also use a pair of Koss BT540i Headphones, usually by Bluetooth, but again I can use a 3.5mm jack if I need to.

From what the mate said about ASIO it seems to me that Bluetooth would defeat the purpose of the clarity in any case (bandwidth). I realise that I won't get the full benefit of the ASIO driver with the current speaker devices, but they may change.

I haven't had to specify anything in JR before. However, just looking at Audio Device now, the U2868 Intel Display Audio is selected. That is the speakers in the monitor which are worse than useless. No idea how they were selected, as I never use them.

So I just tried playing a 16/44 track in JR, and this morning it DOESN'T skip.  ? ? Beats the hell outta me! Still won't play Hi res though. So playing a bit of Sting in 16/44:
Selecting U2868 plays through monitor speakers
Selecting Realtek plays through Laptop speakers (Onyx turned off, Bluetooth from laptop turned off)
Without changing anything - plug 3.5mm jack from Onyx to laptop, and it plays.
Pull the jack, turn on Bluetooth (at laptop), Audio Device now has HARMON (HK Onyx Studio 2 Stereo) [WASAPI] available, so I selected that, stopped the music, restarted and it comes though the Onyx via Bluetooth, BUT.... now it skips!

Before all this drama started I have almost exclusively played from the laptop to the Onyx via Bluetooth.......

Finally, the Onyx seems to have two designations, and the second one is
Headset Earphone (HK Onyx Studio 2 Hands-Free AG Audio) [WASAPI]
and if I select that it won't play at all - gives me the WASAPI error.

I don't particularly care if that particular selection doesn't work, but I would like to be able to play via Bluetooth again.

You can probably see why this is a little confusing!

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 09:09:07 pm »

If Windows sounds and FooBar work, then it must be some settings in MC. Well, most likely.

Agreed.

What version of Windows are you running?
What is the full version of MC that you are running? MC23.0.104?

Windows 10, latest version via a huge update about a month or so ago.
Yes, MC 23.0.104

When you play using FooBar, are you using WASAPI? If you are using Direct Sound, that would explain why it is working. Windows would be converting the audio to a format the driver supports.

I'm brand new to Foobar2000 v1.4.6 and don't know where to look to answer your question. In Preferences - Output the device is Primary Sound Driver, and the Onyx works via BT. If I select HARMON it also works (via BT).

I can't see anything about WASAPI or Direct.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 10:00:56 pm »

Okay.

The "U2868 Intel Display Audio" audio device is the Intel HDMI Audio Driver, as discussed above.

If you want to play Hi-res music, you have to use the Realtek driver (output device) and connect the Onyx Studio using the 3.5 mm jack. That should give you Hi-res playback. You should use WASAPI Exclusive mode for best audio, but you could certainly try ASIO. However, with the Onyx Studio I'm not sure you will hear a difference.

When you select the Realtek drivers it sounds like the Toshiba checks if anything is connected to the 3.5 mm jack, and if not, plays to the laptop speakers, since they are the only audio device available.

As soon as you plug the Onyx Studio, or any external speaker, into the 3.5 mm jack the Toshiba plays to whatever is connected. That would be controlled by the Realtek drivers.

Bluetooth only supports up to 48 kHz. If you play via Bluetooth, you have to allow MC to resample to 48 kHz or less. Bluetooth actually only supports 16, 32, 44.1, and 48 kHz I believe, so it makes sense to leave the lower sample rates as they are, and down-mix anything over 48 kHz down to 48 kHz. You would set that up in the MC DSP "Output Format" dialogue.

Bluetooth supports multiple audio formats, known as Profiles. It sounds like your "HARMON (HK Onyx Studio 2 Stereo) [WASAPI]" output device is an A2DP Profile, which simply means it uses better quality audio. Google that (A2DP) if curious. The "Headset Earphone (HK Onyx Studio 2 Hands-Free AG Audio) [WASAPI]" output device is, as it says, a Hands Free Profile, which is a low quality usually mono format. I'm surprised that MC thought it could use WASAPI. I'm not surprised it failed to play with an error. Don't use that output device. If you want to use Bluetooth to the Onyx Studio, only use the ""HARMON (HK Onyx Studio 2 Stereo) [WASAPI]" output device".

So, back to output to the Onyx Studio via Bluetooth is skipping.

I suspect that in the past you haven't made any settings changes to allow MC to resample music to 48 kHz for the Onyx Studio. If the audio was playing correctly via Bluetooth without skips, then I have to assume that the Audio Device you had selected in MC was the "Default Audio Device [Direct Sound]". Then in Windows, the default audio device was set to either "Speakers - Realtek High Definition Audio" or the Bluetooth audio driver, named something like "HARMON (HK Onyx Studio 2 Stereo)".

With either of those two selected, Windows was using Direct Sound, which means that it would resample audio to match the output device. i.e. Down to 48 kHz for Bluetooth. So Bluetooth would work correctly. Windows and/or the audio drivers would be switching output based on whether an external speaker was connected or not, and whether Bluetooth was turned on and the Onyx Studio was turned on and connected.

Basically, Windows was working in the background to get your sound to work, without telling you what it was doing.

I'm brand new to Foobar2000 v1.4.6 and don't know where to look to answer your question. In Preferences - Output the device is Primary Sound Driver, and the Onyx works via BT. If I select HARMON it also works (via BT).
This pretty much confirms my thoughts here. (You posted that while I was typing. Good timing.)

So, what do you do to get Bluetooth audio working again? Set MC to play the "Default Audio Device [Direct Sound]" Audio Device. You should not need to make any other settings changes, such as "Output Format" mentioned above.

See if that fixes the skipping problem.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 10:59:08 pm »

Wowee, that is excellent and very well explained help Roderick. Thank you very much indeed for this!

To answer/respond:

"If you want to play Hi-res music, you have to use the Realtek driver (output device) and connect the Onyx Studio using the 3.5 mm jack."Yes. A week or so ago some 172k was dropping out over bluetooth and I figured that was because of BT bandwidth restrictions. I've been told since that apparently BT 5.0 is good for up to 176k

"You should use WASAPI Exclusive mode for best audio, but you could certainly try ASIO. However, with the Onyx Studio I'm not sure you will hear a difference."Agreed, but more about the headphones. The Koss BT540 are not top of the line, but they're pretty good - would use a cable

"Bluetooth supports multiple audio formats, known as Profiles. It sounds like your HARMON (HK Onyx Studio 2 Stereo) [WASAPI] output device is an A2DP Profile, which simply means it uses better quality audio. Google that (A2DP) if curious. The "Headset Earphone (HK Onyx Studio 2 Hands-Free AG Audio) [WASAPI]" output device is, as it says, a Hands Free Profile, which is a low quality usually mono format. I'm surprised that MC thought it could use WASAPI. I'm not surprised it failed to play with an error. Don't use that output device. If you want to use Bluetooth to the Onyx Studio, only use the HARMON (HK Onyx Studio 2 Stereo) [WASAPI] output device."Gotcha. Yes, two devices can be connected to the Onyx, and it has a microphone, obviously for Phone call use, but I've never done that. Perhaps next time I'm in the shed with the woodwork machinery going....(which is what I really bought the Onyx for)

"I suspect that in the past you haven't made any settings changes to allow MC to resample music to 48 kHz for the Onyx Studio. If the audio was playing correctly via Bluetooth without skips, then I have to assume that the Audio Device you had selected in MC was the Default Audio Device [Direct Sound]. Then in Windows, the default audio device was set to either "Speakers - Realtek High Definition Audio" or the Bluetooth audio driver, named something like "HARMON (HK Onyx Studio 2 Stereo)". Ahhh, I guess so because I didn't touch nuffink! BUT, I have only had music ABOVE 16/44 in the last few weeks, but apart from some 176k fouling on BT, the problems have only crept up in the last 7-10 days.

"So, what do you do to get Bluetooth audio working again? Set MC to play the "Default Audio Device [Direct Sound]" Audio Device. You should not need to make any other settings changes, such as "Output Format" mentioned above." Yep, that's fixed it for a 16/44 track! In fact, I can also play a 24/176 via Bluetooth without any error msg or request to downsample it. Whether or not it will drop out at times due to BT bandwidth is another story, of course

So when I was checking the Audio Device (which was set to HARMON I had a look in the Device Settings and "Exclusive Access" was checked, as was Maximise Device Volume. I have subsequently learnt that the latter is what was causing the volume to be on Full every time I started a playback - apart from frightening the hell outta me, it was very aggravating having to change the vol every time. O'course now that I have Default Device that dialogue box is different anyway.

So Roderick, I think that has solved all the issues! You're a champion! Thank you.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 02:02:10 am »

I've been told since that apparently BT 5.0 is good for up to 176k

I would be interested to see a reference for that. But actually I suspect you are confusing the bitrate of audio, measured in kbps, and the sample rate of audio, measured in kHz.

Bluetooth 5.0 Low Energy (LE) does support higher data transmission rates, or greater transmission distance, than earlier Bluetooth versions. Not both at the same time. But that doesn't mean that anyone is supporting higher sample rates for Bluetooth 5.0 LE audio.

In fact, the best Bluetooth audio currently available is using aptX or the higher standard, aptX HD. Both only support 48 kHz, but aptX HD supports 24 bit 48 kHz LPCM while aptX support 16 bit 48 kHz LPCM.

I can't find anything that suggests that any Bluetooth products support greater than 48 kHz sample rate. The Sony LDAC used in lots of phones (like mine) and other devices can support higher Bitrates, but not sample rates. Even so, the Sony LDAC tops out at 990 kbps, which is less than the Bluetooth 4.2 maximum rate of 1 Mbps.

While manufacturers claim that 24 bit 48 kHz audio is high definition, or indistinguishable from it, that is stretching the truth quite a bit. It is more true to say that the human ear can't take advantage of higher sample and bitrates, in many cases. But let's not go there!

So unless someone can produce evidence, 48 kHz is the best you will get, and mostly 16 bit resolution.

Besides of which, the Bluetooth Utility and driver running on your Toshiba P50-A only supports A2DP and not aptX. https://support.dynabook.com/support/driversOSResults?freeText=PSPVTU-00G009
As best I can figure out, as I can't find the exact specifications, your laptop is using Bluetooth 2.1 EDR, which is quite old though capable, but only supports A2DP.
Also your Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 2 Wireless Speaker System only supports Bluetooth 3 and the A2DP Audio Codec.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 02:10:23 am »

Yes, I'm just repeating what I was told, which may or may not be accurate. But it is good to have these things challenged, corrected etc.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 07:06:44 am »

Here's how you can use quote tags.

[ quote ]
The text you want to quote goes here.
[ /quote ]
Your reply goes here.

Removing the spaces in the quote tags above, you will get this:

The text you want to quote goes here.
Your reply goes here.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 02:37:30 am »

So, following on from this, I finally got around to installing an ASIO driver today. As I understand it an ASIO driver goes direct from the sound card to the speakers with no interference.

To save the reader from trawling the thread for info:
1. The problems that I was having before (that caused me to post this thread) were essentially caused by a Windows update, and those problems were all resolved with some excellent help from RoderickGI.
2. I'm running a 2016 model Toshiba Laptop P50-A (the sticker underneath says P50W-C anything that looks inside the Laptop says it's a P50-A).
3. The driver I have been using is a Realtek High Definition Audio, 19th July 2016, Version 6.0.1.7885 which AFAIK is the latest.
4. The speaker I am using is a Harman Kardon  Onyx Studio 2 which is a Bluetooth capable speaker, but these days I only use a high quality 3.5mm cable because of the restrictions that BT has carrying Hi-Res music.
5. We have previously discussed that I may not hear much difference using an ASIO driver with such a speaker, but its sound quality is surprisingly good. There will come a time when I upgrade the sound system, but not yet.

Thus, I am keen to try this new ASIO driver to check it out. The driver I have installed is
Realtek High Definition Audio Codec (Windows 7/8/8.1/10 64-bit) from here:
https://download.cnet.com/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Codec-Windows-7-8-8-1-10-64-bit/3000-2120_4-77507761.html

I have been enjoying no sound issues since fixing them back in September 2019.

When I tried this ASIO driver it was ok for normal res music but for 24-176 it came up saying it couldn't play it and would I like to play it at 48kHz sampling? This was an error I was getting for a while earlier in this thread, but was resolved.

Speaking to a friend about this, he seems to think that my sound card cannot output more than 48kHz, and that the only reason I was able to play 24-176 before was because Windows was synthesising the sound from 176 down to 48. I can very readily hear the difference between 16-44 and 24-176 (same album in two formats) but is this due to only hearing the difference between16 and 24 bit?

When I look at Advanced option in Settings>Speakers>Additional device properties there are no options above "24 bit, 48000Hz (Studio Quality)".

So how do I determine what the sound card is capable of? By using that shown above, which means that 48kHz is the limit that I can get on this laptop?

Would this also explain why I can't hear any difference between a Roxy Music SACD at 24-176 and 24-96?

Also, as you can see from the attachment, the ASIO driver is no longer available to select, yet I have not deleted it. Where can I check to see if it still exists?

I'm using MC 26.0.18 (64 bit).

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 03:37:03 am »

You might need to use the 32-bit version of Media Center instead, as the ASIO driver might be 32-bit only.
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2020, 03:40:30 am »

Well according to the link it is 64 bit:
https://download.cnet.com/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Codec-Windows-7-8-8-1-10-64-bit/3000-2120_4-77507761.html

and there is a specific 32bit driver available.

Surely that would be reliable info?

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 03:47:44 am »

As far as I know, that's just a Realtek driver for onboard audio, which I've never seen include an ASIO driver. It should work for DirectSound and WASAPI, but I've never, ever seen an ASIO driver for Realtek and I've got Realtek onboard audio too (along with the latest drivers).

If you can use WASAPI exclusive, that also bypasses the Windows mixer like ASIO can.
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2020, 03:54:46 am »

When I first installed it I was able to select a driver that was described in MC as (ASIO), but it is no longer there to select so surely it must have been an ASIO driver. You may have picked up that I'm not too good with tech stuff - I was being assisted by someone on the phone.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2020, 04:02:55 am »

Ah, hang on a sec. We did install another driver - sorry, but it was all a bit of a blur and I was very tired.

We got to that previous link from here:
https://download.cnet.com/asio4all/alternatives/windows/

in the first download under "Top 9 Audio Driver Apps".

I can't remember where the first driver came from or whether it was uninstalled. I may have to talk to him tomorrow.

But going back to one of my questions: how do I determine what my sound card is capable of?

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2020, 04:09:50 am »

Ok, I've found the first download site:
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

and then select windows 10 64 bit (first choice), then two down is AUDIO 6.0.1.8746 from December 3rd 2019 (7 weeks ago). That's the one that showed up as an ASIO driver choice in MC, but would only play 48kHz.

I never uninstalled anything though, before we went on to that next Realtek driver that I originally posted about.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 06:08:03 am »

I saw your post earlier but didn't have time to comment. Awesome is more awesome when it comes to ASIO stuff anyway.  :D

Never use ASIO4ALL drivers when you have access to WASAPI Exclusive mode in your current driver. ASIO4ALL isn't a real ASIO driver. It is just a wrapper around the existing audio driver. So it adds a layer to the audio path, and is only useful when you must output via ASIO.

I'm not surprised that the ASUS driver didn't work properly on your Toshiba Laptop. These drivers from the manufacturers often are specifically customised for their hardware. Probably why the output was limited to 48 KHz (not 48bit!).

Uninstall any ASIO4ALL and the ASUS driver. Reboot after each uninstall. If necessary, reinstall your Realtek High Definition Audio, 19th July 2016, Version 6.0.1.7885 driver. Then...

But going back to one of my questions: how do I determine what my sound card is capable of?

As you looked at before, go to Windows 10 Settings > System > Sound > {with speakers selected} > Device Properties > Additional device properties > Advanced tab > Default Format > then click the drop list. That will show what Windows 10 believes the Realtek device is capable of. It should include 16 and 24 bit formats at up to 192,000 Hz. That should be what plays to the laptop internal speakers, or the Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 2 speaker when it is plugged in via your 3.5mm cable.

I have seen some indication that there are ASIO drivers for Realtek chips, but honestly, the sites that mention it look more than a little dodgy. Googling "Realtek ASIO driver windows 10" gets quite a few hits, but many are for ASIO4ALL, or "Value-adding" sites selling tools such as "Driver Easy", and others are for specific hardware. i.e. The Dell driver that claims "- Added the support for Audio Stream Input/Output (ASIO) driver protocol."  But that is a driver version earlier than the one you have, and your driver does not present itself as an ASIO driver.

Forget ASIO. Frankly, I think your friend has been giving you a bit of a bum steer on this issue.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2020, 06:26:47 am »

Thanks Roderick. The 48bit tired typo has been fixed!

To be fair, he did put a caveat on using the Asus driver, that it may not work, and might even cause problems. With that in mind I took a Windows Restore point so I think I can just go back to that to eliminate the new drivers can't I?

Are you saying that WASAPI Exclusive Mode is better to use than "Direct Audio Device [Direct Sound]"?
(but I only have "Realtek High Definition Audio [WASAPI]" as per previous screenshot - is that what you mean by "WASAPI Exclusive Mode".

It's pretty late here (11.30pm), so I'll get onto this tomorrow, mid morning.

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 06:39:41 am »

Yes, WASAPI exclusive bypasses the Windows mixer and DirectSound does not. If you want bit-perfect output WASAPI exclusive is the way to go.

Like Roderick said, ASIO4ALL should be avoided as it's just a wrapper for kernel streaming, which is an old and depreciated Windows audio output and not true ASIO.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 04:31:09 pm »

Also, yes, I was referring to "Realtek High Definition Audio [WASAPI]" on your system. Use that. That's what I do on my Workstation.

Then in Device Settings, make sure "Open device for exclusive access" is ticked.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2020, 05:22:21 pm »

Ok I'm using WASAPI with exclusive access. It's a brighter sound with less bass (Eq is completely flat lined).

I can still only see 24 bit 48000Hz sampling as the maximum, but I think that is because of the driver being used. I have not yet uninstalled those drivers because I'm not sure how to. (installing is easy - just click the .exe, but I need a clue on how to uninstall). Or should I just roll back to the restore point I took yesterday before any fooling around with drivers happened?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2020, 07:48:54 pm »

Rolling back to the Windows Restore Point may be easiest, if you haven't done other stuff you want to keep.

But if the drivers show up in the Windows Device Manager, you should be able to open their properties and uninstall them. Or right-click the Device and uninstall.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2020, 07:54:39 pm »

Well that's the thing - in the Device manager there are only the original ones:
Intel(R) Display Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Beats me. (but that would be why I couldn't figure out how to uninstall them - there's nothing new to see)

I will roll back later - there is nothing new since this time yesterday (when I took the restore).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2020, 11:34:33 pm »

This may be an answer to why you only saw Sample Rates of up to 48 KHz with the driver you installed: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123934.msg858052.html#msg858052

Fitbrit builds hardware, installs and supports MC users, so he has lots of experience with the issue he is talking about. I think the problem only happens with a specific brand of motherboard that he uses. You may want to confirm with him.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2020, 01:48:46 am »

Thanks Roderick.

I've just pulled up the System Restore window, to roll back to where I was before those Asus and Asio4All drivers. The warning msg that I get is a little bit spooky though:
Programs and Drivers that will be deleted
(looks like everything will go....)
Pgms and drivers that MIGHT be restored - may not work correctly and might need to be reinstalled

Now the thing is that I can see nothing about Asus or Asio4All in the list to be deleted.
The Realtek High Def Audio Driver to be deleted is 6.0.1.8186 and will be replaced by 6.0.1.7885

BUT I haven't installed a Realtek driver since the Restore point was taken, unless one of those Asio4All drivers was a Realtek wrapped in a coat that Awsome was talking about.

So....I'm really wondering whether I need to roll back to the Restore Point, and what is the risk of stuff not working properly if I do?

A little more info: I'm still only seeing 24bit 48000Hz (max) in device properties. There are no other choices of driver in the Device Manager, just Realtek 6.0.1.8186 from 14-Jun-17 (which I presume is 2017 not 2014)

On another score, I did try the Realtek High Def Audio [WASAPI] setting and to be honest the sound was a bit too raw (flat Eq) and with restricted bottom end, so I went back to Default Audio Device [Direct Sound].

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2020, 02:51:57 am »

Since I read fitbrit's thread I have started getting distortion - like bad bad fuzz distortion playing exactly the same songs as I did last night.

Have not rolled back, and will take another Restore point and follow fitbrit's instructions, but in the meantime.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2020, 03:35:22 am »

To save doubling up, please refer to my posts in the thread from fitbrit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up