INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Plays in VLC Not in JRiver?  (Read 2577 times)

squeedle

• World Citizen
Video Plays in VLC Not in JRiver?
« on: September 16, 2019, 07:54:34 pm »

I'm trying to troubleshoot this issue but would love some advice on where to start. I've ripped my entire library of thousands of DVDs to MKV (H.265), and I don't think I've seen this particular problem before. This file plays fine in VLC but looks all garbled in JRiver (see image below). Any troubleshooting tips?

squeedle

• World Citizen
Re: Video Plays in VLC Not in JRiver?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 07:59:23 pm »

Here's roughly the same time in the video grabbed from VLC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 09:59:22 pm »

Set MC video to both Red October Standard and HQ.

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 10:08:46 pm »

Same distortion in both modes.

wer

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 11:56:14 pm »

Change the state of the "hardware accelerate video decoding where possible" option.

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 12:16:32 am »

Update: I watched the entire 30 minute program in VLC and VLC struggled with it in a few spots too. So there's just something funky with this encoding. I tried re-encoding it with H.265 several times, and same results. For some reason it works fine if I encode it with H.264. Never seen this before. So I'm just gonna use the H.264 encoded file for this program. Super weird. Would be curious to hear if anyone has experienced this before, but whatever it is, it's not JRiver's fault (although VLC does MUCH better with the H.265 file for some reason).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video Plays in VLC Not in JRiver? [Solved -- bad encoding]
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 06:57:01 am »

Thanks for posting what you found.  It's possible the machine doesn't have enough power.

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 10:38:14 pm »

Update: I was able to do some more testing and the issue seems to be related to the "Modulus" setting in Handbrake > Dimensions. The default setting is 2, which causes the issue. If I change it to 4, the issue is resolved. Again, this only seems to be an issue with H.265, not H.264 for some reason.

I don't know what this setting is exactly, the Handbrake tool tip only says:

"Align storage dimensions to multiples of this value. This setting is only necessary for compatibility with some devices. You should use 2 unless you experience compatibility issues."

I realize the mods will say this is a Handbrake issue, and that's fine. I'll try to post in their forums as well. But does anyone here know why MC is unable to correctly interpret these "Modulus 2" files while VLC can? Or if it's possible to alter this setting without re-encoding (is this a setting that lives in the MKV file header or something)?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 08:37:06 am »

Can you provide a small sample of such a file that doesnt decode properly?

The corruption doesn't look like any typical errors i've seen before.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 10:24:37 am »

Thanks so much for your interest, Hendrik. I have done more testing and found that the problem is actually the dimensions of the file. Perhaps with certain dimensions, MC doesn't know how to correctly determine the aspect ratio? This is what the "Modulus" setting in Handbrake is about: it ensures that the dimensions of the file are cleanly divisible by 2 or 4 or 8, etc. And depending on what value you select, it actually resizes/stretches the dimensions of the file to cleanly fit one of those divisors. It seems MC might need a Modulus of 4 (not 2) in order to work properly in some odd cases? Such as mine...

My file has dimensions of 706x572.

If I select Modulus 4 for this file, 706 does not divide cleanly into 4, so Handbrake resizes it to width of 704. And then MC can play it properly.

But if I select Modulus 2 for this file in Handbrake, 706 does divide cleanly into 2, so the original dimensions are retained. But then MC can't play it properly.

Here are sample files with both dimensions, along with screen grabs from both Handbrake and MC:
http://www.mhat.com/temp/yabb_122225.zip

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 11:40:51 am »

Are you using hardware decoding?

For the record, it seems to be playing fine in MC26, so I would assume the underlying issue was fixed in the decoder we use in the last 2 years since MC23 was made.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

squeedle

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 12:20:03 pm »

No hardware decoding, that doesn't seem to work well on my system.

Pages: [1]   Go Up