INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird iOS and Android app issue  (Read 870 times)

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
Weird iOS and Android app issue
« on: September 18, 2019, 11:56:27 pm »

I use MC25 as the library in a streaming system where iPad and Android phone apps control the broadcast to a Sonore rendu in my living room.  When I use DLNA software such as mconnect on the iPad and Bubble DS or HiFi Cast on the Android, I rarely have playback issues.  However, when I use any of the JRiver-specific apps that I have (JRemote on iOS and JRemote, Eos, and Gizmo on Android), I often have a difficult time getting playback to start.  Regardless of which app I use first, alternating between the JRiver remotes and the DLNA apps results in successful playback from the latter and a failure to play from the latter.

Considering that the libraries are the same (JRiver audiophile 24-bit DAC) and the player is the same (rendu), I would expect the same results from all these apps.  I have always assumed that the JRiver remotes are DLNA players that are dedicated to the JRiver library, so that the only differences  between those apps and the DLNA ones would be that the latter can also address non-JRiver libraries.  Am I incorrect about that?

In any event, can anyone think of a reason why pressing "play" on the JRiver apps would result in silence if doing the same thing on the DLNA apps just a few seconds before or after  results in successful playback?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Weird iOS and Android app issue
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 03:40:20 am »

When an app pushes a track to a UPNP / DLNA renderer, it may either push the original file, or alternatively it may convert it to another format on the fly. The reason is that different makes of renderer support different mixes of media types.

So I suspect that your other apps are perhaps down converting your hi res audio files to a “lowest common denominator” format that generically all renderers can play (e.g. L16 or MP3) whereas MC is perhaps pushing the original hi res track (or even up converting to some other format like L24) that your renderer cannot play.

Look in the MC DLNA server settings to see what you currently have it set to do.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 10:00:23 am »

Thanks.  MC is set to stream all files in native format and resolution. The streamer and DAC both can play PCM 24/384 and DSD 256. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 12:37:12 pm »

Thanks.  MC is set to stream all files in native format and resolution. The streamer and DAC both can play PCM 24/384 and DSD 256. 
Sometimes what the Renderer is supposed to support really isn't supported.  Also, it may be supported when you control playback from the Renderer, but not when you do so from MC (pull vs. push).

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 02:28:59 pm »

I appreciate that. However, the bulk of my library is 16/44 and any device should be able to handle that. In other words, this is a problem that occurs routinely and not just with hi-res.
Pages: [1]   Go Up