INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz does not play the ALACs from my DAP  (Read 724 times)

m@Xist

• Recent member
Mercedes-Benz does not play the ALACs from my DAP
« on: September 19, 2019, 03:09:19 pm »

Hi all

The transition from iTunes to MC is ongoing, however there are still some stones in the way  :o

Background: My Mercedes-Benz from 2014 employs a Comand Online system with the dedicated Media Interface. When connecting any iPod or iPhone to it, which were synced by iTunes with ALAC M4A files, all music plays in the car.

However, when I connect the AK KANN to that Media Interface, with the KANN having stored the same source files, that is those ALAC M4A from the iTunes library, the device is recognized but no playable files are found! Same result when using MC to sync using "Original" setting. Also same result when i.e. syncing the Fiio M3K (with the difference that it has to be connected to the regular USB port in my car).

Now, the following questions come up:
1) Does iTunes apply some reshaping of the ALAC M4A files during sync with the iPod/iPhone that make the playback possible in the car?
2) If it is no iTunes, does the iPod/iPhone do some sort of reshaping of the ALAC M4A when hooked up to the MB Media Interface?
3) How can I convert to ALAC M4A that will play in the car thru the Media Interface?

Thanks for your support!

Cheers
Dan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Mercedes-Benz does not play the ALACs from my DAP
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 05:55:29 pm »

The location of the files may matter.  Usually it's a Music folder.

Cover art can sometimes cause problems.

Even file naming.

MC has options for some of those when you sync.

The manufacturer of the device may also be helpful.  Try a Google search.

m@Xist

• Recent member
Re: Mercedes-Benz does not play the ALACs from my DAP
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 01:26:00 pm »

Meanwhile, I tried by removing the cover during conversion. This did not help. I don't see an issue with file naming as I synced various albums and tracks, some of which with simple names. Folder should not be an issue, it's always the Music folder, which works like a charm with MP3 and other formats.

I did internet research on MB Command Online. Some people say it works with ALAC for them, others say it wasn't. But there is no general rule as there are differences between countries (European vs. American versions of MB) and differences due to the various iterations of Command Online.
Pages: [1]   Go Up