INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bit depth output with WASAPI to AV receiver problem  (Read 2486 times)

chris45

• Recent member
Bit depth output with WASAPI to AV receiver problem
« on: September 21, 2019, 10:12:54 am »

So i've been messing with the settings in JRiver and i found that when i set the output bitdepth in Wasapi to 16 bit and played a 16 bit song it sounded better so i wanted to play every file with its native bit depth, but i came across a problem.

I don't know if my Onkyo TX-NR646 simply doesn't support 24 bit files and 32 bit files or it's JRiver but when i set WASAPI to output to 24 bit (Padded) which is from what i understand actually a 24 bit stream inside a 32 bit which my AVR plays just fine, than why can't i set 32 bit files to play with 32 bit integer? I get the same error with 24 bit files as well that my hardware may not support it.

From what i know my Onkyo TX-NR646 has a 384 kHz/32-bit AKM DAC which i am not sure what it actually means. Can someone tell me if i am doing something wrong with the settings or if my AVR simpliy doesn't support what i want to do or if it's a JRiver bug.

On a side note when i play a blu ray film with bitstreaming in audio path it detects it as a 192 Khz stream and outputs it as such even though the stream is actually 48 Khz and my AVR says it's receiving 48 Khz, what's up with that i haven't enabeled any DSP processing and volume is set to "Disable volume"?

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bit depth output with WASAPI to AV receiver problem
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 11:22:42 am »

Regarding hardware, you only mention the receiver you're using, nothing else.  You haven't told us what audio output device you are using, nor how you are connecting it to the Onkyo.

The audio device and connection interface both have limitations.  You will need to research what those limitations are.  JRiver supports those audio formats, but the error message is telling you something else (audio driver, audio hardware, interface, or Onkyo) does not.

chris45

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 11:50:45 am »

I am using my Graphics card GTX 750 to connect to the receiver through hdmi. I just checked in windows playback devices and it says the receiver supports 16 and 24 bit depth. As for the graphics card all i found was this:
"All the NVIDIA HD audio codecs since the GT212 GPU support sampling rates of 32 kHz - 192 kHz, sample sizes of 16 bit - 24 bit, and speaker configurations from stereo to 7.1".

So i guess my setup supports 24 bit audio so why am i getting and error from jriver when i play 24 bit songs at at 24 bit output?

wer

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 01:45:10 pm »

You're off to a good start; you've answered your question about 32bit audio.

For the rest, post screenshots of the following so we can see what's what:

- The error message you're getting
- The Device Settings dialog under Options->Audio->Audio Device
- The full "Output Format" screen of DSP Studio (showing settings, including the checkbox on the left that shows if it's enabled or not)

chris45

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 02:11:48 pm »

Here you go

chris45

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 02:12:36 pm »

And the third one

wer

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 03:24:17 pm »

So, in messing with the settings, you changed the Bitdepth from Automatic to "24bit integer".  Your hardware doesn't support the 24bit integer format.  You'd wonder why, because you looked it up and found your hardware & driver support 24bit audio.  Probably what it requires is "24 bit integer (in a 32 bit package)".  This is simply because your audio driver software only accepts DWORD (32-bit) data, and the hardware can only play 24-bit data.

Change the setting back to Automatic.

When you play 16-bit files, any unneeded bits will be zeros, so your audio data is unchanged.
Likewise, when you play 24-bit files, the extra 8 bits will be zeros, so your audio data is unchanged.

If there actually is an audible difference between 16-bit playback and 16-bit zero-padded to 24bit on your system, then either your driver software is processing the data differently (it shouldn't; take that up with Nvidia; perhaps an experienced Nvidia user can comment if this is a known issue, but I have never heard of it) or your Onkyo is processing it differently.  Some receivers/processors (Marantz, for one) can apply different processing (room correction or DSP) settings based not on the physical input used, but on the detected data.  So you might check all your Onkyo settings LIVE while 16 bit output is playing, vs when padded output is playing.

chris45

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 09:39:38 am »

So you are saying it's actually the nvidia audio driver that doesn't support 24 bit integer, do you know this as a fact or are you theorising, if it's true than that is a real bummer hardware supports it but not the freaking driver.

So if my audio driver only accepts 32 bit (DWORD what is that anyway?) shouldn't jriver say it's output to be 32 bit padded when playing 16 bit and 24 bit audio and not say 24 bit padded when playing 16 bit AND 24 bit audio when set to "automatic bitdepth"?

By the way i'm using the "Pure mode" on my Onkyo always, in that mode there is no software processing at all even the video circuitry is off. The led screen only turns on when i press something on the remote, and also my receiver doesn't show the bit depth of audio while playing, only frequency, number of channels and format.

chris45

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 08:44:30 am »

So i tried playing a blu ray movie with 24 bit true hd audio track and set the output bitdepth in WASAPI at 24 bit integer and it played just fine altough audio path says it is receiving 192 khz 16 bit 8 channel and outputing the same.

This is looking more and more like a JRiver bug wrongfully detecting, reporting and possibly playing the bitdepth and in some cases the sample rate of audio.

What i am worried about is the last one if JRiver is playing with the right bitdepth and not converting or something.

barfyman362

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 10:24:02 pm »

I think it is a jriver bug or something, with 16 bit content using MPC-BE (MPC AUDIO RENDERER- WASAPI- USE SYSTEM LAYOUT CHANNELS UNCHECKED ) I get bit exact ouput. But with 24 bit content(DTS HD - DOLBY TRUE HD) I still get 24bit padded, I think this has something to do with what wer said in his last post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up