INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Control MC on server using MC on laptop?  (Read 1351 times)

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
Control MC on server using MC on laptop?
« on: September 30, 2019, 04:26:32 pm »

I want to load an MC media server from my desktop into the MC on my laptop, but have playback occur on the desktop machine using it's local files.

I do not see that functionality in MC24. It only seems to allow local playback.
(I can achieve my goal using Remote Desktop, but that is too cumbersome).

Is this function available?
I swear I am not here to drive you crazy!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Control MC on server using MC on laptop?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 04:36:44 pm »

Tremote. On the wiki.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 08:46:04 am »

OK that gave me access to the music files on the server,  but the playback occurs on my laptop . . . . . I want the playback to happen on the server as it is hooked to the home stereo.

Is there a way to do this and be able to utilize the full MC interface as a controller rather than Gizmo or Panel?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 08:57:24 am »

Please re-read:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tremote

It plays in either location.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 09:52:02 am »

I can't explain more than the wiki.  I think you're missing something there.  Probably the last sentence under Instructions.

When you describe what you're doing, use "client" and "server" to describe the machines.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 09:54:03 am »

When I follow the guide I load the library but:

On the Client it shows the Server Playback Zone, but that zone still only play on the Client. (Zone = Tremote Desk)

When I run the server on my Laptop and the Client it the Desktop, it works as desired.
(Zone = There: Tremote Laptop)

I cannot find any reason why the laptop Client does not show 'There' and instead only plays local.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 10:11:44 am »

On the client, load the library from the server.  I loaded Matt from the lower section of Playing Now.

On the client, click on There:[Server Name].  In my case, it was There:Mytek (under Matt in the Upper section of Playing Now).  I think this is the step you're missing.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 10:22:14 am »

I just looked on my systems, and there is no There: [Server Name] entry in Playing Now. It certainly used to be there, but I have not looked in a while. But, it is not there now. I tried it on a couple different systems. Same result.  I added a new Zone and it showed up in Playing Now on the Client. Not sure what is going on???

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 10:51:55 am »

You need to connect to the server first.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 10:52:47 am »

Please just use client and server, not laptop and desktop.

On the client, load the library from the server.  I loaded Matt from the lower section of Playing Now.

On the client, click on There:[Server Name].  In my case, it was There:Mytek (under Matt in the Upper section of Playing Now).  I think this is the step you're missing.

On my CLIENT, the Zone appears ONLY as "Tremote_Desk" and without the "There:Tremote_Desk" and therefore only plays back on the Client machine.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 11:29:06 am »

Jim -I did. No Server THERE entry on the Client system. Unless I add a zone.

Just like the OP reports.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 02:33:01 pm »

I have returned home and wanted to share what I am currently seeing on my system (.108). I started with TRremote back in Jim's Kitchen.  The "There" entry for default server playback that appears in the Client's Playing Now list is missing.  I put an entry there by adding a Zone to the Server, but that is not part of the TRemote  setup. However, it does show that there is communications between the server zone and the client.   For some reason, the client cannot see the default player on the server, but it can see my added service. Not sure what is going on.

The Server is called HP Laptop. The zone I added to HP Laptop is Added Zone.  Music plays fine to it from the client.

Here is a screen shot.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 04:26:03 pm »

I solved it with brute force and took a sledge hammer to it . . . . 

I uninstalled both MC24 & MC25 from both machines, including reg & library files, then I reinstalled the latest MC25 in both machines. After the library import completed and I made a few Options changes I was able to connect successfully.

"THERE" now appears on my Client whenever I connect to the Server, and all seems to function as expected.

Obviously my method did not reveal the culprit, but hey . . . SUCCESS   :D

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 05:16:42 pm »

Good for you. But there is still some problem lurking in my setup and in MC in general.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 08:09:15 am »

Good for you. But there is still some problem lurking in my setup and in MC in general.

since a fresh install fixed this, perhaps it is due to a setting that was corrected by the MC's install defaults?

(my initial install used settings from my old MC24's library & settings, which appear to have been the root of my problem)
sorry I can't be of more help

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 08:18:24 am »

Thanks. Unfortunately, doing a full build, actually 4 builds, without using a library backup is not easy for me.  But I am not sure the problem is as simple as a default setting. Something else is going on.  Hopefully, someone will figure out the problem. I cannot find any explanation.  Fortunately, I do not use TRremote as much any more as in the beginning. A tablet is easier these days. Ironically, I came to this thread to try to get you started.

Thanks.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 09:10:46 am »

Thanks. Unfortunately, doing a full build, actually 4 builds, without using a library backup is not easy for me.  But I am not sure the problem is as simple as a default setting. Something else is going on.  Hopefully, someone will figure out the problem. I cannot find any explanation.  Fortunately, I do not use TRremote as much any more as in the beginning. A tablet is easier these days. Ironically, I came to this thread to try to get you started.

Thanks.

BTW, after all was installed and working I decided to take a chance and do a library restore from my old MC24 library, much to my delight it still worked properly after the restore.

I have no explanation, but, if all else fails it may be a workable solution for you.
OK, I'm out, good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up