INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Amazon HD work with WMD driver?  (Read 2795 times)

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
Does Amazon HD work with WMD driver?
« on: October 05, 2019, 03:11:31 pm »

I asked on a different forum about JRiver's WDM driver working with the new Amazon HD streaming without exclusive mode offered by Amazon and got the following response.

So with JRiver there is an option to choose WDM driver and I can set audio device to WASAPI. And I think Tidal, Amazon HD, Spotify all sound better and more clear. Isn't that then the same as using exclusive mode?

I don't think so. Amazon Music still sends its output to the Windows mixer so JRiver doesn't really fix the exclusive bug. You can test this by playing music or anything from another app, you will hear both streams of audio. Nothing short of enabling Wasapi Exclusive mode in the Amazon Music HD app will get the sound quality closer to Tidal, Qobuz, etc. Expecting users to go into Windows Sounds and change sample rate and bit depth for each song played is not practical, and they won't hear a difference anyway because the overriding problem is Windows shared mode and the noise prone Windows audio stack.

Is this correct? Doesn't WDM driver help with Amazon HD if they don't enable exclusive?

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=14070322011
https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/hd
Desk Top:
JRiver 25 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  HD800s/Elear/AHD7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
Sony SACD 777ES > First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II > Plinius SA100 MkIII > Von Schweikert Audio VR5

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Does Amazon HD work with WMD driver?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 03:26:18 pm »

The WDM driver can't add an exclusive mode to an application that doesn't have it. But even in shared mode through the windows mixer you can use MC to perform DSP, for example.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Blueshound24

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 05:14:20 pm »

The WDM driver can't add an exclusive mode to an application that doesn't have it. But even in shared mode through the windows mixer you can use MC to perform DSP, for example.

So should music streaming CD quality via Amazon HD sound better if Windows sound is set to Windows JRiver MC 25, and JRiver set to my DAC SPDIF interface {WASAPI}, and the WDM driver box is ticked?

Or doesn't it make any difference to CD quality music streaming quality with or without the WDM driver box ticked if Amazon doesn't offer exclusive mode?

Desk Top:
JRiver 25 > Industrial Intona Hi Speed Isolator > UpTone Audio USB Regen > PS Audio Perfect Wave II 2.4.3 > Parasound Halo > KEF LS50 + HSU STF-1 sub x 2
~ or ~ Questyle CMA600i/Icon Audio HP8 MKII/Lyr >  HD800s/Elear/AHD7000/LCD2.2f/HD650/HD700/u18t/Roxanne

Dedicated Room:
Sony SACD 777ES > First Sound Presence Deluxe Mk II > Plinius SA100 MkIII > Von Schweikert Audio VR5

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 02:14:50 pm »

The benefit of using the WDM driver is that the data is passed to MC so that you can apply DSP settings to obtain the kind of sound effect you prefer. I have been listening to Amazon HD via the WDM driver for a couple of weeks now, but I doubt if I will continue after the 90 day trial simply because I feel it is not something I will persist with often enough fo it to be economical. Must say though that the sound is pretty good.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

dominique-tanguy

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 01:55:56 am »

This thread is a bit old, but I am also trying to get Amazon Music Desktop play through JRiver WDM driver.

On top of this first difficulty, I need to cast the music to a Chromecast Audio recognised by JRiver as a DLNA player thanks to BubbleUpNp.

Could someone help what I am missing?

WDM is the default player when I launch the Amazon desktop application.

I am using MC26 but WDM is still showing MC25, for some reason...

Dominique

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 07:40:18 am »

WDM is an audio device driver.  You can't cast it to another device.

Try not using WDM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up