INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suddenly -- Duplicate Tracks  (Read 2143 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
Suddenly -- Duplicate Tracks
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:14:14 am »

Greetings. 
I have a sudden problem with duplicate tracks appearing in almost all of the albums (1100?) in my MC Library.

I am still a tech beginner, but have been using Windows 10 MC23 for 2-3 years without a glitch until... I recently had a hard drive failure and in BOTH a new laptop and an existing desktop Windows machine my WDMyCLOUD EX2 NAS drive WAS visible, but  could not  access its shares -- including the MUSIC share, contained in which is a large MC library.  My computer tech located the shares and mapped two of the shares (I think the term is correct...) to the left margin nav on my Windows FILE EXPLORER page.   (So when I click on each one I go directly to that share.)  But when I started using MC again, I am finding duplicates of all tracks within most if not all, albums.

Needless to say, I need to get to the root cause of the problem (Don't know if these things are related) and correct it, then... delete all of the duplicates, hopefully in a group action.  The shortcut is labeled When I drilled down into the file listing in the library both the original and duplicates look ALIKE EXCEPT for the first few letters.  EXAMPLE --

\\WDMYCLOUDEX2\Music (NAME OF SHARE)  etc etc etc   (ORIGINAL LISTING)

Y:\(Album Name)\(Artist)\ (TRACK TITLE)\   etc etc etc

Please Help.  THANKS!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Suddenly -- Duplicate Tracks
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:48:00 am »

You're probably importing from both locations. 

Check your auto-import settings and correct them.

Search for either location and soft delete those files in MC.  Read carefully.  Try a few before you do very many.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 02:34:02 pm »

THANKS for the quick response.  I found that it is true -- the wDMYCLOUD EX and the y: areas are BOTH included in the auto import.  Am I correct in understanding:
1.  To fix the problem moving forward I simply need to remove the :y reference from the auto-import list?
2.  But to delete the current duplicates all at once - What do you mean by a "soft delete" from the MC files?  Specifically how do I do that?  (I understand that I need to do a few files initially to make sure I am doing it correctly!)

THANKS All, in advance.

P.S.  If I deleted the :Y reference in auto-import and at some point did a manual scan MC simply replace all the current files with ONLY the files in WDMYCLOUD EX? (in effect erasing the :y files)?

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 02:32:27 pm »

Can anyone help me with the above follow-on question re: duplicate files and using "soft delete" to delete them?

Thanks, All

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 04:47:45 pm »

Select a file, press delete and read the options.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 04:56:59 pm »

Hi Jim,  Thanks again for the quick response.

I'm not sure I asked my question accurately:  I believe you were right in your first post -- that I was importing every album and track file from two places in my Auto Import option.  I have since deleted that reference and now ONLY have listed my WDMYCLOUD EX2 NAS Drive share as the only data to update.

BUT -- In every album now in my MC library I have listed duplicate tracks (listed as "Y:"  etc etc)  AND  WDMYCLOUDEX2  etc etc).  SO -- I need to get rid of all of those duplicates -- not just one or two.  How do I do that?

All the albums and tracks in the NAS drive seem to be correct (one copy of each.)

THANK YOU.

w.d.

BTW -- I have back-ups of all my previous libraries.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 06:19:51 pm »

Copy the "Audio > Files" View.
Customise the new View to add the rule "Filename (path) ... Starts with ... Y:\". You'll see how to do that once you select the "Set rules for file display" option in the Customise function.

Now the only files show in the View are those which start with "Y:\", which are the incorrecty imported "copies" in the Library.

Select a file in that View. Press Delete. Select "Remove media from Library". Note the result. Repeat for all files in that View.

Done.

Note: MC keeps track of these deletions, and stores that information in the "Removed Database". That shouldn't be an issue, but if you wanted to remove the records from that database, search the forum for "Removed Database" to find information about creating a View to see what in that database, and how to remove the records. You only need to do that if you want to clean up the Library.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up