INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A New Project  (Read 1424 times)

Absinthe

A New Project
« on: October 19, 2019, 10:21:48 pm »

I have a new task request from my wife.  Almost two decades ago I constructed an electronic jukebox using an industrial touchscreen panel from an old Semitool Equinox plating tool and a spare Pentium motherboard.  The software was written in C and made use of the Windows API and several popular open source audio libraries.  It was crude and a bit clunky but proved the concept and my wife really liked the idea of a stand alone music podium.  The podium contained an audio amp and speaker level outputs so you could position the speakers wherever you want; this was long before the advent of wireless or Bluetooth for DIY.  With the advent of the RPI, Beaglebone and a host of other microcomputer platforms, that run real languages (Linux) I am again intrigued with the concept.  Plus, now that we have pretty much moved into our home; and I have recovered most of my workbench tools and equipment, now is the time to begin working on it.  This brings me to the JRiver portion of the project.  I have a master license and will likely use an RPI running some flavor of Linux (Likely Ubuntu) with JRiver running on top.  My questions regarding MC are:

• Is there a way to make JRiver the only available shell running on Ubuntu?  I do this via windows by editing the registry and changing the Shell key to point to the current version of MC installed rather than "explorer.exe".  This would have the computer boot windows and run Media Center as the shell.  This limits access to the file system and any ability to mess with files except through MC.  It also improves boot time and avoids all those pesky windows logon screens.  I fear that this will not be a simple as with Windows since the desktop environments are usually installed as complete packages.  I have only minimal experience with Linux and the various desktops available so if a local Ubuntu guru could point me in the right direction, Id be appreciative :)
  • I've experimented with Users, audio only and Party Mode on MC and can restrict files based on the users and media type but have not had much luck restricting views.  For this project, I only want the Audio and Playlist views visible.  Currently the best success I've had is to edit the Theater View options and remove everything except Audio and Playlists. If I remove the Exit functions from Theater View, are you essentially locked into Theater View until the running program is terminated?  Would this be the best method to keep users in the Theater View and out of Standard View?
  • I have not poked around in the developers section much so this question may be premature but I would like to have some level of remote control over the jukebox via TCP/IP.  I believe that using MCWS is the way to go here?

Comments, suggestions anything.....throw em my way  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: A New Project
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 01:36:23 am »

For #3, please read the wiki topic on Remotes.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 05:51:49 pm »

So you can handle #1 a number of different ways, but I'd generally advise against using MC as your "shell", although you can definitely start the xserver with only JRiver and no window manager (just edit your .xinitrc to launch MC instead of a window manager and then "startx").  The problem with that approach is that if jriver crashes it will dump you back to the terminal.  You need some kind of minimal window manager behind the scenes.  The good news is that linux has lots of choices for extremely minimal window managers that don't actually have to occupy any screen real estate (like openbox or i3).  So with those kind of minimal window managers (properly configured), you can have MC running full screen and no real likelihood that anyone will be able to launch anything else, but you'll have an easier time recovering in the event that MC crashes (you can use a systemd service to automatically relaunch jriver, etc.).

In my experience with Debian (rather than Ubuntu), it's fairly easy to install just the minimal pieces you need rather than a full "desktop environment package" (just don't select a desktop environment during the install, and then install the pieces you need later).  Another advantage of Debian is that you're also using an officially supported platform for MC if anything is acting funny.  My "kiosks" around the house use debian, lightdm with autologin configured, and a fairly minimal openbox environment with no panels so it just looks like jriver is running with nothing "behind it." 

Absinthe

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 06:33:18 pm »

Thanks Jim, mwillemsl good info.  I already have Ubuntu up and running on an Oracle VirtualBox system but its easy enough to load Debian and play around with it for awhile. 

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 06:54:54 pm »

Thanks Jim, mwillemsl good info.  I already have Ubuntu up and running on an Oracle VirtualBox system but its easy enough to load Debian and play around with it for awhile.

You can probably get a slimmed down version running with Ubuntu as well, I just don't have first hand experience of stripping down Ubuntu (or maybe starting from the server edition?).  With debian the installer is fairly modular, and the resulting system is stable enough that you can run unattended upgrades without anxiety.

Absinthe

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 10:15:36 pm »

No worries, I've got Debian installed on another VirtualBox VM and I'm using OpenBox for the desktop.  Now I just need to figure out the configuration to lock out most of the capabilities of the desktop.  JRiver is installed and working smoothly

luvmich

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 10:23:47 pm »

Using an old phone or tablet run "JRemote"  Hook up a DAC or use headphone to connect to the amp.  On android you cant make a child's account and restrict apps that run.  Run JRiver in server mode on another computer, connect to phone, and enjoy.   That is if you want a jukebox feel with a touch screen. 

I personally just use my phone, tablet, laptop,or PC as a remote for my whole house.  JRemote, Gizmo, or web runs on my phone, etc and connects to my laptop in the closet.  The laptop runs the JRiver in server mode.  The laptop has 5 Behringer U-Control UCA222 usb DACs hooked to it.  5 amps are hooked up to the 5 usb DACs.  Wires run in the attic to different rooms.   I can control all of the zones from local network or WAN.

If JRiver would just make an app for Android TV.  I could than use my TV's to control everything.

Absinthe

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 01:09:12 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have no spare phones laying around and the prospect of using a 4" - 6" screen for a jukebox isn't appealing
Pages: [1]   Go Up