INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server randomly shuts down after closing media center.  (Read 1960 times)

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
Media Server randomly shuts down after closing media center.
« on: October 22, 2019, 04:05:54 pm »

For some reason my media server at times will shut down after closing media center. I have it configured to launch with Windows, so it should stay running in the background for recording etc.. It has only done this for a fairly short time, so I suppose it could have been an update? It does work fine if I only close the theater portion, but if I close all of media center, I may or may have recorded TV to watch. Any suggestions?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Server radomly shuts down after closing media center.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 06:13:58 pm »

Just check the Startup settings again, and reboot the PC. See if the problem goes away.

If Media Server starts after the reboot, it should keep running. If it doesn't start, then a Windows update, along with Defender, may be stopping it from starting. Check Defender, or the security software you use.

I don't understand your reference to "recorded TV to watch". Do you mean that you want Media Server to be running as you will be watching recorded TV on a MC Client on another PC? Perhaps clarify that bit.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 10:15:18 am »

Hi Roderick, it always starts, but sometimes the media server closes on it's own. When I stated " may not have recorded TV to watch",  scheduled TV shows do not record when the server quits unless I have media center open. Thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 04:33:23 pm »

Well, it shouldn't just close on its own of course.

Try turning on logging and see if you can capture the event in a log. There might be a clue in there.

There might be something in the Windows logs as well. Search with Event Viewer maybe.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 10:31:41 pm »

I checked event viewer, and there was nothing listed for the last time it did it back on Monday. So, I turned on logging to see what it shows next time it happens.

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 03:22:50 pm »

I have a log file to upload, but it won't let me. When I hit post, it won't post the reply that contains it.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 04:22:22 pm »

Did you have a look in the log yourself, to see if there was anything obvious?

If a file is too big the forum won't let you post it. There will have been a message onscreen about that. If that is the issue, upload your log to one the Cloud services (OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) and share a link to it.

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 04:49:31 pm »

I looked, but it meant nothing to me. That said, it was created the same day as the issue. I made a zip file to compress it

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 06:31:33 pm »

I'm not good at reading these detailed logs either, but it looks like it crashed either when trying to start a recording, or trying to start watching TV, from a MC Client I would assume.

You've included just the log file, but there was also a Crash Dump file created. If someone was to take a look at the issue they would need the Crash Dump file. It is always best to include the full "JRiver Log...zip" file created by the logging process when tracking issues, as it has system information and the Crash Dump in it. Hence the need to put it on a Cloud site if it is too large.

If it helps you work out what happened, the left column is the number of Milliseconds since logging started, and the logging start date and time is at the beginning of the log file. So logging started at 10/28/2019 11:41 am, and the crash happened 1597922 milliseconds, or 26.6 minutes, later. So it happened at about 12:08 pm. Was something happening on the PC then?

There was a bunch of TV stuff, and Handheld Device enumeration (connection) going on before the crash though. So hard to see a specific issue building.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 10:37:06 pm »

According to the log the Crash Dump (.dmp) file is :
C:\Users\sftwi\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 25\Crash.dmp

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 11:30:51 pm »

There was only a previous crash.mp file, which I sent

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 12:00:27 am »

When you have a problem and want to share log files, go to the top menu in MC > Help > Logging > Report Problem, and that will generate a "JRiver Log*.zip" file, usually on the Desktop, which will contain all necessary logs and any Crash Dump file. No need to go hunting for files in MC sub-directories.

See https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

Someone from JRiver will have to look at that Crash Dump, if they have time, but they will probably want a complete set of logs, not bits from multiple crashes.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 01:10:41 am »

I'm not good at reading these detailed logs either, but it looks like it crashed either when trying to start a recording, or trying to start watching TV, from a MC Client I would assume.
Related to this (Windows update) problem?
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122748.msg850079.html#msg850079

MikeO

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 03:00:33 am »

Mostly been said , I find 4 things cause wobbles, which I also see but fairly infrequently

A pending Windows Update ,  restart fixes and updates Windows

A downloaded but not installed update of MC

Trying to play to a Renderer from 2 servers. I have Roon And MC running on the same box they play to separate renderers but can cross over

Finally if MC can’t play a file for some reason, there is an error message on the main UI, whereas I rarely look at the main UI when I am listening I use JRemote I am not sure what happens to that error in a server only environment.

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Media Server randomly shuts down after closing Media Center
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 05:19:04 pm »

I reinstalled Media Center on 11/20, and it ran flawless until today when the server shutdown as it previously has. I sent the windows error code, and log files generated by Media Center

Faulting application name: Media Center 25.exe, version: 25.0.114.0, time stamp: 0x5da48b7b
Faulting module name: JRReader.dll, version: 25.0.114.0, time stamp: 0x5da48a8d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000159c5
Faulting process id: 0x3c90
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5a531d146ba4b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 25\Media Center 25.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 25\JRReader.dll
Report Id: 11bda598-bdc1-4ac0-a0ff-399144d2dea4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 05:52:16 pm »

I guess since no one has responded in 10 days my problem can't be fixed. If it is something that you can't resolve please let me know, I will buy Youtube TV or something reliable.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 07:32:04 pm »

I guess since no one has responded in 10 days my problem can't be fixed. If it is something that you can't resolve please let me know, I will buy Youtube TV or something reliable.

If that was a valid response everybody would have dumped Windows by now.

You are posting just parts of logs, with the last having just the crash dump report and system info. Most people can't read crash dump reports. Post full logs as produced by MC. If they are too big to post on the forum, put them on a Cloud service, and post a link.

When only one person is having an issue like this, it is usually something specific to their environment. Hence, you have to do more testing to find out what it is. No-one else can test for you, because it only happens on your PC. So set up some test recordings, start logging or reset the log so it will be small, and watch to see if the recording happens. On failure, check the log. Maybe start Windows with limited startup programs, because it could be another program causing the issue.

I start both Media Center and Media Server on my HTPC and never see this issue. Perhaps try the same thing.

When a PC is having a software conflict it can sometimes be fixed by rebooting the PC regularly, particularly when the cause is a memory leak in some driver, background software, etc. Set up a Windows Task Scheduler Task to reboot the PC every night, when recordings won't be happening, and then have it go back to sleep.

You do sleep this PC, correct? You haven't explained much about your environment. I see you have two Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD tuners. Does any other software use these tuners? Could that software be conflicting with MC?

With eight tuners onboard, are you doing a lot of recording? If so, can your PC handle eight simultaneous recordings, or whatever you are actually doing?

After a MC crash, do the Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD tuners show that they are available, in use, locked up, or whatever?

Help yourself, provide more information and do more specific testing, and maybe more people will try to help.

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 11:49:19 pm »

After you told me what to do about JRiver generating logs, that is exactly what I did per your request, so you can't blame me for doing what you said. Also, that is why I included the excerpt from windows view event logs, so that it might give you more of a clue to the answer. If people can't read those generated logs, that is JRiver fault, not mine.

I only have the one Hauppauge quad 4 tuner installed. The two HD HomeRuns, and two WinTV 885  analog show up,  despite the fact I select only the quad digital tuner's to be configured during the scan at setup.

The system is shutdown every night, so that is not an issue. I may have to try what you said about launching both at startup, and leave the media center running in the background even if not used, to see if that clears it permanently, because it has never happened with it opened. That said, it is closed more than not. The PC is also only configured to be a media center, and has the minimal software to do so. I have all the software I need to edit, and add movies, and music etc. on my work station for the very reason you mentioned, then I transfer them over.

Whenever it does crash, everything runs fine after relaunching, including the tuners.

Lastly, I paid good money for JRiver, and have paid for updates as well, so you owe it to your customers to articulate better what you need to assist in the fix. I don't need condescending tones like, if you help yourself, maybe others will "try" to help. The reason I use MC's like JRiver is to save money, since I have had to retire early to assist a family member with health issues. I also use non-open sourced programs because they usually have reasonable support, and that is what I need in my case. I do know computers pretty well, and I realize things aren't always easy to find. However, I depend on the experts for guidance on specific programs, especially since my time is so very limited.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 12:14:31 am »

Well, that is strange, because there are no logs in that last file you attached. Just the System Info and Crash Dump files. So either you removed the log files, or you didn't follow the process in the Wiki article. You need to start logging, produce or wait for the problem to happen, and then report the problem which creates the zip file.

Anyway, I'm just a MC user like you, so I'm going to leave this to you and JRiver.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 08:12:39 am »

I'm looking at your crash dump.  It's crashing in the TV file reader code.  I sent it on to Yaobing for some help.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 09:27:01 am »

We'll try to fix this crash in a coming build of MC26.  It should be available around the middle of the month.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 10:37:24 am »

Thank you Matt, I truly appreciate it very much.

@RoderickGI - I honestly didn't change a thing, and just followed the given directions in your comment above. Also, I never knew there was a wiki page with special directions. If I had, I would have done so accordingly.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Media Server randomly shuts down after closing media center.
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 05:51:52 pm »

Fair enough. But I did include a link to the Wiki page in my Reply #11 above.

Anyway, it seems that Yaobing will be on the case to fix it now. Yaobing is the primary developer of TV functionality, so he should sort it out.

sftaylor

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2019, 08:52:54 am »

I sincerely apologize for missing the posted link RoderickGI. That wrong is on me.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 03:41:37 pm »

Thank you.  8)

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 04:57:20 pm »

And this is why you should get the meat deal of the year! I would of hung up on this long ago, and my remarks  would of been stricken from the record.  lol

RoderickGI  you are one of the few TRUE ambassadors For JRiver MC my hat's off to you.

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 07:22:03 pm »

Thank you ~OHM~.  8 :D

It's a little far to send the Omaha steaks, but Jim can buy me another steak dinner here in Australia!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up