INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 25 on Ubuntu 18.04 freezing  (Read 2138 times)

garpt

• Recent member
MC 25 on Ubuntu 18.04 freezing
« on: October 30, 2019, 11:41:03 pm »

Hi all,
  Been a jriver user for quite a while but decided to switch to Linux (Ubuntu 18.04) pretty much as an exclusive media server. Seemed like a great idea. It has been working as far as loading my library, downloading and storing Flac files, Cloudplay, etc. But I get the app freezing at least once or twice per session. I can't pin down exactly what is causing the freezing except to say that during "normal" file searching and selecting, playing files, etc. everything works fine. It's when I am doing any other function for instance opening a different function in the left pane menu, selecting file updates, things like that will freeze the app and there is no way around except to reboot. Evidently this is not seen much as all my searches here and through Google don't return one hit on random freezing.
Any ideas/ suggestions?
 I'm not a Linux expert but have used Ubuntu daily at work for many applications over 6 years and can usually find and fix an issue.
Thanks in advance!
GT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 25 on 18.04 freezing
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 02:04:22 am »

What is the full version of MC?  25.0.113 is on this board.

garpt

• Recent member
Re: MC 25 on 18.04 freezing
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 06:03:39 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Jim. 25.0.113, 64 bit (which I have)
I'm surprised as this is a dual boot setup I installed and just installed Ubuntu last week. I'm trying to keep it as clean and trim as possible as I thought a clean Linux install would be a better choice to serve only as a usb server through my Schiit Yagi DAC into my stereo.
Any thoughts?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 25 on Ubuntu 18.04 freezing
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 02:23:28 am »

A focus problem?  If it happens again, see if there is an error message hidden behind the current window.

Or something sleeping?

garpt

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 01:51:14 pm »

Jim,
  I can narrow it down somewhat, because I've found a situation where it freezes every time with no way out- When I attempt to open Cloudplay, which opens a webpage, I get a message regarding a browser error. I've read about issues with inability to play youtube and such, but this appears to be a different browser issue.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 10:59:11 am »

Jim,
  I can narrow it down somewhat, because I've found a situation where it freezes every time with no way out- When I attempt to open Cloudplay, which opens a webpage, I get a message regarding a browser error. I've read about issues with inability to play youtube and such, but this appears to be a different browser issue.
There are two things that need to happen for that browser window to work.
1) You need to have a proper ca-certificates.crt. Either in /etc/ssl/certs (the debian default) or change the symlink in /usr/lib/jriver/Media Center 25/ca-certificates.crt to use the local one there.
2) MC needs to be connected to the internet to download the chrome browser component (assuming of course that item 1 above is correct).

If you have a focus issue as Jim suggested, you can figure that out by Alt-tabbing. If there is a popup MC window hidden it will disable input from the main window but will be re-selectable by the alt-tab.

garpt

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 10:54:50 pm »

Thank Bob,
  I will work on those.
I know where to look for the certificates, that's no problem. I'll figure out the focus part- I'm not familiar with that term but if I have any questions I will be sure to ask!
Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up