INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume keys don't work in other programs  (Read 993 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Volume keys don't work in other programs
« on: November 09, 2019, 03:13:17 am »

Whenever MC is running, I can't use the volume keys on the computer to adjust system volume, which also means that if the volume is muted, I either have to shut down MC or go to MC's volume controls and adjust it (unless MC is set to use the system volume).

Is there a way to not have it set up like this? No other application that I've encountered grabs the volume like this.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Volume keys don't work in other programs
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 06:35:51 am »

Audio Settings in MC.  Turn off Exclusive Mode.

There is a Volume topic on the wiki.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 07:17:05 am »

FYI - Turning off Exclusive Mode may affect your sound quality. It passes the audio through the Windows audio mixer, which can resample your audio to a different sample rate. Your audio will no longer be bit perfect.

Marty3d

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:42:06 am »

Thanks for the replies! I tried turning off Exclusive Mode (it wasn't available at first with default settings) but to no avail, though. Also unchecked "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" in Device manager > Speaker/headphones > Advanced, which didn't help either.

I've attached three images on how it looks in case I'm not making sense :) Spotify and Windows uses the normal volume slider, while MC still uses its own, no matter what setting I have it on (Application, Internal, System).

So what I'm trying to accomplish, is to control Windows volume with the media keys and MC using the volume slider within MC. I hope that makes sense..

Any more ideas?

Marty3d

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 02:11:30 am »

After some searching, I found https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=118591.0 where the similar experience is mentioned. So, setting General > Advanced > Media key mode to App commands seems to be working.

Thanks!

UnrealRealityX

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 10:52:11 am »

After some searching, I found https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=118591.0 where the similar experience is mentioned. So, setting General > Advanced > Media key mode to App commands seems to be working.

Thanks!

Thank you for finding this. This should be enabled by default. As long as MC is running, even in the background, it disables that windows volume slider OSD. and that's a default windows UI that should be respected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up