INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move library to Mac  (Read 516 times)

paulrr01

• Recent member
Move library to Mac
« on: November 09, 2019, 11:43:46 am »

I currently have a MC (V25) install on a PC (W10). All my media (only audio) is on a NAS. I do not currently use MC for serious audio playback (this is done via a Squeezebox Touch connecting to Logitech Music Server running on the NAS).

What I am wanting to do is replace the Touch with a headless Mini Mac connected to the network to 'see' the NAS and then via USB to my DAC. The Mac will physically sit in my hifi rack and the PC elsewhere in the house.
I do not plan moving the media from the NAS. I also want to 'connect' (in MC) from my PC to the Mac MC library i.e. the Mac is a server but I want to create playlists etc on the PC elsewhere. I will control Mac playback with JRemote ios app.

Here's my plan:
Install MC on Mac (done but NOT configured at all yet).
Point MC at the NAS and do an import of my media (on NAS) creating MC library on Mac.
Switch on 'Media Network' on the Mac as well as the sync options.
'Connect' the PC instance of MC to the Mac 'server' instance.

I have a couple of questions -
Is this solution possible? (from what I've read, it is).
Is there a better way to achieve it?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I've found some info around moving from PC to Mac but not about the end to end process. Many many thanks in anticipation of your help and suggestions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Move library to Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 12:25:57 pm »

Yes, it's possible.

paulrr01

• Recent member
Re: Move library to Mac
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 09:24:53 am »

Thank you Jim.
I set it up with a large amount of success. However, there were some issues and I have some thoughts around what was happening.

First question, is it definitely better to have the Mac (attached to DAC) as the server and the PC (different room) as a client? All I want to do on the (headless) Mac is use it as an 'endpoint' to play music, and all 'file' activities done on the client PC (tagging, playlists etc). My plan for importing is to copy the media to the NAS from the PC and let auto-import (on the server) take care of the library.

Second question, I'm not sure why but I would have to reboot the Mac to get it to play music after not using for a day or so. I suspect (with no hard evidence yet) that if I ran a 'sync' on the client the file location in the library got picked up from the client. Even though the media is only one place (NAS) the actual value in 'filename' differs between MAC and PC and I suspect this maybe causing an issue.
I'm going to see if I can test this out using a cut down library (approx 30000 tracks on NAS). I'm planning on doing this partly out of my own inquisitiveness so
I can see what actually happens behind the scenes before settling on a permanent configuration.

Third question, in order to do my testing should I just ensure I have library backups of my existing 'main' library?

Again, any advice, help or thoughts gratefully received.
Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up