INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DJ Panel  (Read 1682 times)

stiv32

• World Citizen
DJ Panel
« on: October 22, 2019, 04:43:12 pm »

I would love to see a DJ Panel
and an easier way to colorfy lines (based on specific criteria) and the ability to see the colors at the Overview and DJ Panel.

Thank you for your support and constant improvement all these years!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DJ Panel
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 10:22:23 am »

What would a DJ Panel look like?

Please explain in a little more detail.

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 03:17:54 am »

Hi JimH,

so my idea here is to have a panel with two playlists with custom fields (I need to be able to use my colorfyed fields (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104707.0) in the dj panel playlists). Just above each playlist and towards the middle of the panel we have a switch button that could change between two dedicated zones (i.e. speakers and headphones). Just underneath each switch we have a mixer lever that can be locked with the other playlists lever (when both switches are turned to speakers zone and I rise one the other goes equally down). If I could customize the tremble, bass in each side of the panel it would be even better. Also, I could use a catholic (the whole row) colorfier based on my custom criteria (chosen library field - prespecified color for each subfield).

Thank you for considering my idea :)

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 04:35:41 am »

I work as a DJ on the side. If you want to use MC for DJing (which is not the "normal" thing to do, there is dedicated software that does a better job), then I think you should use zones and the zone overview to just route audio to the appropriate zone. That shows you two playlists, you can drag songs from one to the other, and prelisten on the headphone zone, play on the main zone. Turning MC into a capable DJ software would require a ton of specific UI work, I guess, and it is not what MC does to do in the first place anyway (My humble opinion, please correct me if I'm wrong, Jim)

But again, I recommend a DJ-Software which doesn't require dedicated hardware, which is actually most of them these days. Look into Serato, Traktor or VirtualDJ. They have free trials, and they give you minute control on pitch, timing and mixing. and have waveform analysis, color codes, anything you need. And they don't cost the world either.

I personally use MC to generate my playlists and manage my metadata needs, and Serato DJ for playback. If you DJ even halfway regularily, please consider investing into a cheap controller. You will never want to go back, believe me. It's worth it. Happy to help with that if you wish.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 08:22:11 am »

Agreed DrKNo.

DJ Controllers are really amazing for what they do.  They kinda sorta emulate two turntables.  But makes it very easy even if you don't have the dexterity of a turntable DJ.  Having a controller and DJ software really changes the game.

Crossfades are easy or even automated.  Beat matching, by slowing down one song and speeding up the other, is child's play in DJ software.  That can even be automated if you just want the effect and don't want to control it yourself.

The workflow is designed for it's purpose and it does it well.  Surprisingly (to me) DJ software even has the ability to find the musical Key of each song.  Then, you can group songs by related keys.  I believe this can be somewhat automated, but not 100% sure.  What I am sure of, is that this is how professional DJs get really seamless mixes.  When the keys of two adjacent songs are related, there's no jarring transition between songs.  This is why some DJ's sets sound really great and others... not so much.

All to say that DJ software and hardware is incredible today.  If you are a DJ, you should have both.

Brian.

Ronald DiFiore

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 09:24:48 am »

Everyone's points here are very good, but i am with the guy asking for more DJ friendly setup simply because the reproduction of music you get from JRiver MC is superior to all the others. At least for this is why i use it to DJ ,even though i did just purchase a lower end pioneer controller to start learning how to use typical Dj equipment. For me its all about the sound ,i dont do a lot of Djing but want to do more ,MC has great higher end DSP addons like the resampler , parametric eq, could use a graphic eq though its pretty basic , all in all the sound quality is awesome with MC.IMHO
Pages: [1]   Go Up